I don't think the Pegulas signed off on this

zow2

There's just no way that I can come up with a scenario that Terry and Kim signed off on a total "tear it down" and rebuild plan.  Certainly not to be the laughinstocks of the NFL.  
He has gone through years of pain dealing with that on the NHL side.  Now I get that McBeane sold to them in the offseason,, that Buffalo has to get through a season with a ton of dead cap money, and will have to work in a rookie QB.  But I also believe they were told they have a gamer in Peterman, a vet in McCarron to stabilize the ship, a solid Defense coming off a playoff season...
and some free agents to add to the mix.  I have no doubt the Pegulas were told they might take a step back, but no way they would become a league joke and risk alienating his football fanbase
like what happened to his NHL fansbase.   In the NFL, you don't have to SUCK to build a winner.  What you do is you stay relevant and reload at the positions of need as attrition happens. 

If I were the Pegulas, I'd be walking around pissed off today.  Yes=- Allen looks decent but the amount of holes they have to fill are staggering.  Some of the players McBeane thought
would be decent are not playing well or have been flat out released. I don't get some of their roster moves. For example, why would a team desperate for a good, solid posssession receiver would get rid of O'Leary and keep Logan Thomas?  That dude can't play the position or be trusted to catch a pass.

Overall, the McBeane era has taken a huge hit this year for me.  I had a ton of faith in them, but it's wavering.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Everyone looking at our personnel  moves and/or our cap situation knew this was a rebuilding year.  I can't imagine Terry and Kim saw anything different.  

This season - with $50 million in dead cap - we have the lowest paid roster in the NFL.  We're simply not spending enough to field a competitive team. 

Next year, we'll have $80 million or so in cap space.  Who knows the year after that but if Beane manages the cap astutely, we'll again be active players in free agency.

If Beane drafts well and spends wisely, 2020 will be a very good year.   All indications say that's the plan, like it or not.  

• Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Everyone looking at our personnel  moves and/or our cap situation knew this was a rebuilding year.  I can't imagine Terry and Kim saw anything different.  

This season - with $50 million in dead cap - we have the lowest paid roster in the NFL.  We're simply not spending enough to field a competitive team. 

Next year, we'll have $80 million or so in cap space.  Who knows the year after that but if Beane manages the cap astutely, we'll again be active players in free agency.

If Beane drafts well and spends wisely, 2020 will be a very good year.   All indications say that's the plan, like it or not.  

sorry.  can't buy that BS. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s only two games. They don’t look good sure but you gotta think they’ll get better.

some of these younger guys need time to progress. I thought the second half of the charger game we started to see a little life in the team and more of what they wanted for this year. A competitive team. Low on talent but hard working. Also keep in mind this may be a crap roster, especially on offense.It was built to be a good rushing team though with a solid defense. The D has been awful and with the points given up we can’t run the ball effectively. This team never has a shot since Fitz to win without a top notch running game. 

Even then Fitz couldn’t win the game with his arm. 

Same philosophy for a very long time. 

Ground and pound, impose your will and control the clock. Keep the defense fresh and attacking. Without all of that working we can’t win end of story. 

Getting Allen and developing him I like to think is a change in that philosophy. A true field general who can chuck the ball all over the field and have a defense on its heels which opens the run game. (Hopefully) 

Either way, rather you believe in them or not their entire resume rests on Allen’s shoulders. 

If they hit they’ll be here a very long time. 

If they missed they’ll be out the door in 3 more seasons. Either way like it or not GM and coach aren’t going anywhere for awhile

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

well thanks for the encouragement and intelligent counter argument

I think the current situation speaks for itself.  I mean look who in mentoring Allen in the QB room.  80 mil on free agents?  Again the current situation speaks for itself.  I'm not buying some generic talking point about next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I disagree w/ the OP.  I am confident that the owners were well aware of the growing pains that are occurring.  Go back and listen to McDermott talk about how they are only in year two.  That is said multiple times.  The Pegula's are smarter than you give them credit for!

I agree the Pegulas are not dumb by any means.  What I'm trying to say is they didn't sign up to be the laughingstocks of the NFL, much like their hockey has been.  The club can still reload and not be an embarrassment.  The team is being ridiculed on-air by the Fox pre-game show, NFL Network, etc..   

A mediocre team came from the west coast to east coast and whooped them.  

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, zow2 said:

There's just no way that I can come up with a scenario that Terry and Kim signed off on a total "tear it down" and rebuild plan.  Certainly not to be the laughinstocks of the NFL.  
He has gone through years of pain dealing with that on the NHL side.  Now I get that McBeane sold to them in the offseason,, that Buffalo has to get through a season with a ton of dead cap money, and will have to work in a rookie QB.  But I also believe they were told they have a gamer in Peterman, a vet in McCarron to stabilize the ship, a solid Defense coming off a playoff season...
and some free agents to add to the mix.  I have no doubt the Pegulas were told they might take a step back, but no way they would become a league joke and risk alienating his football fanbase
like what happened to his NHL fansbase.   In the NFL, you don't have to SUCK to build a winner.  What you do is you stay relevant and reload at the positions of need as attrition happens. 

If I were the Pegulas, I'd be walking around pissed off today.  Yes=- Allen looks decent but the amount of holes they have to fill are staggering.  Some of the players McBeane thought
would be decent are not playing well or have been flat out released. I don't get some of their roster moves. For example, why would a team desperate for a good, solid posssession receiver would get rid of O'Leary and keep Logan Thomas?  That dude can't play the position or be trusted to catch a pass.

Overall, the McBeane era has taken a huge hit this year for me.  I had a ton of faith in them, but it's wavering.  

You mean kind of like the Browns & the Colts have for the last couple of years stay relevant while building a good team ? 

I think that the Bills have been blind sided by a few things & some comes to lay at the feet of a second year HC & one is seeing a better option in his friend Juan Castillo than looking at what was there prior & leaving well enough alone but the Rams are happy he didn't !!

You add to that the retirement of 2 starting O linemen & then the trade of their starting LT due to injury history which with out the retirement of the other 2 would have been much easier to take but the retirement thing is something that needs to be dealt with & they are doing their best at this time to figure it out .

Then you throw in the screwing that Davis gave them yesterday which i think by them signing him they thought he would take a huge weight off their shoulders to keep the secondary strong but showed yesterday he isn't which if he only would have handled it differently i think it would have been looked at in a totally different light but wasn't !!

Then you through in the fact of the amount of rookies & second year players on the field expecting to keep the team a float plus you add to that getting rid of the only "Veteran QB" on the roster before you see what the second year QB looks like when the real bullets start flying & all this together gives us what we see on the field a team in rebuild mode. 

So i'm willing to cut McD some slack because by some of his actions like taking over the defensive play calling yesterday & doing a better job in the second half & saying they knew it would't be easy i have faith that he & his FO will see what's wrong & fix it but it won't be over night !!

GO BILLS !! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

You haven’t been paying attention if you don’t believe what’s happening is planned. After the Rex blunder the Pegula’s spoke about learning how they need to do things differently. Safe to safe they learned that you can patch together middling seasons while over spending and never win anything, or you can tear it down and get a stud QB and then profit.

It is painful to watch, the effort was better in the 2nd half but it’s a better approach for the long term.

• Like (+1) 2