I don't think the Pegulas signed off on this

zow2

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

McDermott/Beane kept a QB that they didn't want just so they could trade him for a third round pick before the draft and take a $7.6 million cap hit

You would give away the 65th overall pick in the draft to save $7.6 million in cap space in a rebuilding year? And you think Beane is the incompetent one??

14 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Let me guess...more humor?

actually yeah. Stop getting mad and replying man, just ignore the post.

We'll get along when the wins start coming, we did last year (remember?). I'm extending the olive branch. until then wtf is there to talk about regarding the season to date.. I'm just going to goof around on the forum because I like the forum, I like the people, I like talking about Marcus Murphy. He's been a fun player to watch. We can't spend the entire season not talking about it and discussing how good we might be next year. We're going to talk about the season.

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

actually yeah. Stop getting mad and replying man, just ignore the post.

We'll get along when the wins start coming, we did last year (remember?). I'm extending the olive branch. until then wtf is there to talk about regarding the season to date.. I'm just going to goof around on the forum because I like the forum, I like the people, I like talking about Marcus Murphy. He's been a fun player to watch. We can't spend the entire season not talking about it and discussing how good we might be next year. We're going to talk about the season.

I get that man.

But when it comes to humor, don't quit your day job ;)

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

And let me guess, you think Mahomes would look like he is now here. Right?

Playing for a coach like McDermott, no.  And Allen would look a hell of a lot better playing under Reid.

The point is that the Bills needed a franchise QB and Mahomes or Watson checked that box.  Both of these guys fell to the Bills in the '17 draft. McDermott, for some reason, decided to delay selecting a QB, and it cost the team several more assets to draft Allen, which could have been used to speed the rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

I can see a scenario where they agreed to a total "tear it down" and rebuild plan.  Why would that not be feasible if it is in the best interest of winning a championship?

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Since you're reading the chicken bones, how about shooting the powerball numbers my way? Kthx.

The poster may or may not have thought Mahomes or Watson would have worked out.  What would have been nice is for personnel department to have recognized that.

There is noway the signed off on the training being this bad.  If they the plan was to not be competitive then why spend money on three defensive players in free agency.  The issue is beane made a mess out of free agency.  The roster is horrible.  What give you faith he will spend million better than he spent 25 million ?

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Everyone looking at our personnel  moves and/or our cap situation knew this was a rebuilding year.  I can't imagine Terry and Kim saw anything different. 

I think the OP's point is that rebuilding, and maybe a step or two back, is one thing.  Becoming the laughingstocks of the NFL, a league joke, and re-alienating the fan base is something else.

I personally agree that the Pegulas likely signed off on and were expecting the former, but not the latter.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Right. I can root for the 2nd half team even if we lose a lot of games. That team gives me hope for the future. The team that showed up against the Ravens and the 1st half yesterday was bad enough to make you question the whole staff. McDermott needs to retain play calling responsibilities moving forward. If he does that and Allen shows progress we can all enjoy this year for what it is.

Exactly.  The 2nd half team yesterday is what I was expecting (and believe the Pegulas were expecting)  - hard play, some talent gaps, and some rookie bonehead mistakes that keep us from winning, but also some bright spots and a watchable game.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the OP's point is that rebuilding, and maybe a step or two back, is one thing.  Becoming the laughingstocks of the NFL, a league joke, and re-alienating the fan base is something else.

I personally agree that the Pegulas likely signed off on and were expecting the former, but not the latter.

Exactly.  The 2nd half team yesterday is what I was expecting (and believe the Pegulas were expecting)  - hard play, some talent gaps, and some rookie bonehead mistakes that keep us from winning, but also some bright spots and a watchable game.

Honestly, I have to think this is correct. I am surmising that McD took over the defensive playcalling at halftime for lots of good reasons, but one of them is self-preservation. Being fortunate to back into the playoffs is not going to save you if the first six quarters are largely representative of the rest of the season.

19 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Since you're reading the chicken bones, how about shooting the powerball numbers my way? Kthx.

Right, 'cause it was so hard to project these two guys as potential franchise QBs.  

It's the equivalent to the guessing lottery numbers to project a guy who tore up Alabama in consecutive championship games to be a legit NFL QB. ?

Edited by Perry Turtle

Just now, Perry Turtle said:

It's the equivalent to the guessing lottery numbers to project a guy who tore up Alabama in consecutive championship to be a legit NFL QB. ?

Don't be obtuse. COMBINED they have less than a full seasons' worth of starts.

How about waiting 3-4 seasons, eh?

Or nah. You know it already. ALL STAR

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, exactly.  Thank you.  Nice to see a few people on the board can read through the thread and understand my point.  

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

There's just no way that I can come up with a scenario that Terry and Kim signed off on a total "tear it down" and rebuild plan.  Certainly not to be the laughinstocks of the NFL.  
He has gone through years of pain dealing with that on the NHL side.  Now I get that McBeane sold to them in the offseason,, that Buffalo has to get through a season with a ton of dead cap money, and will have to work in a rookie QB.  But I also believe they were told they have a gamer in Peterman, a vet in McCarron to stabilize the ship, a solid Defense coming off a playoff season...
and some free agents to add to the mix.  I have no doubt the Pegulas were told they might take a step back, but no way they would become a league joke and risk alienating his football fanbase
like what happened to his NHL fansbase.   In the NFL, you don't have to SUCK to build a winner.  What you do is you stay relevant and reload at the positions of need as attrition happens. 

If I were the Pegulas, I'd be walking around pissed off today.  Yes=- Allen looks decent but the amount of holes they have to fill are staggering.  Some of the players McBeane thought
would be decent are not playing well or have been flat out released. I don't get some of their roster moves. For example, why would a team desperate for a good, solid posssession receiver would get rid of O'Leary and keep Logan Thomas?  That dude can't play the position or be trusted to catch a pass.

Overall, the McBeane era has taken a huge hit this year for me.  I had a ton of faith in them, but it's wavering.  

Hate to say this but from all indications The Pegulas are in love with Coach McDermott and Brandon Beane.  They are going nowhere.  Mark it downs.

Just now, joesixpack said:

Don't be obtuse. COMBINED they have less than a full seasons' worth of starts.

How about waiting 3-4 seasons, eh?

Or nah. You know it already. ALL STAR

REALLY?!?!?! So the guy Beane spent a bunch of draft picks on a QB who isn't guaranteed to be an All Pro?

Of course the draft is speculative, the point is the Bills passed on prospects who fell to them who had a much better resume than the guy they ended up spending more heavily on.

The front office has given the reasons of value for why they have dumped guys like Watkins and Dareus.  That's part of the process, and that's cool.

But that concept of value should be consistent, and GMs who let the draft fall to them instead of chasing picks falls more in line under that concept of the Process.

• Like (+1) 1