Low expectations - 245 passing is something to build on....

Billsfan1972

As much as I'm hoping for it, it's just not realistic to expect Allen to be slinging it all over the place with success.  He's still trying to process everything and therefore he's holding the ball too long.  Not to mention the receivers aren't getting wide open,  except for that DiMarco play.   I just want him to look competent, which he did. 

Even Alex Smith so far this season has thrown more than half his passes to running backs.    

14 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

While the passing yardage is nice...it really does not tell the tale of the game.....

- Josh Allen missed open receivers.....but he also isnt trusting his protection right now and those things go hand in hand...as he continues to get reps that will fix itself.

- We are NOT running the ball effectively.....in all honesty the other one cut north south runners on the team are having better games right now.....I dont want to trade Shady or anything but it speaks on the lack of run blocking.   When you cannot run the ball you HAVE to pass....when you fall behind in the game like we are doing you HAVE to pass.

- QBs are going to throw int's when they are trying to pass a team back into the game.   Happens to ALL of the qbs.

this is going to sound critical of our running game and particularly Shady but I don't mean it to.

i mostly love Shady and love that he can break a defenders ankles with his jukes. what i don't love is the constant sideways action at the line of scrimmage and tackles for loss or minimal gain that a straight ahead runner would have exploited for an acceptable gain. as a team, we are not in a position of being able to overcome, on a regular basis the highs and lows Shady presents. instead we would be much better served to get that 3/4 yards and a cloud of dust. i believe it would also help in our prized  assets development to have that steady production and not be behind the 8-ball with regularity.

Edited by Foxx

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

this is going to sound critical of our running game and particularly Shady but I don't mean it to.

i mostly love Shady and love that he can break a defenders ankles with his jukes. what i don't love is the constant sideways action at the line of scrimmage and tackles for loss or minimal gain that a straight ahead runner would have exploited for an acceptable gain. as a team, we are in a position of being able to overcome, on a regular basis the highs and lows Shady presents. instead we would be much better served to get that 3/4 yards and a cloud of dust. i believe it would also help in our prized  assets development to have that steady production and not be behind the 8-ball with regularity.

The OL simply is not giving him the space to operate......one cut north south runners dont have this problem because they take the minimal gain (and hopefully break a tackle like Ivory does)

By the way....for those bitching about every Beane move.....Ivory is not looking that bad right now.....definately a upgrade over last year's backup situation.

3 hours ago, skibum said:

I watched the "every throw Josh Allen made" video, and it was not pretty at all. He got lucky on the long Zay Jones throw, and a lot of his yards came on screen passes, one big one coming in garbage time. The rest of it looked really rough:

- Every throw was a laser beam, which is not always called for

- Placement did not allow for run after the catch; did not hit guys in stride really at all

- Even worse, placement often put receiver in the path of a Safety running full speed into his chest 

- Several balls that he was lucky were not picked off, including the aforementioned bomb to ZJ. 

I still believe he has it in him to be good to great, but I think the critics were right - this young fella is RAW. 

Legit Question?  How did he get lucky on the Zay Jones double catch? I mean Backshoulder throws are real? 

Edited by MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, cba fan said:

was that a back shoulder?

or just underthrown? Looks like it could have been either.

Looked back shoulder to me, why because the CB was over the top. If not then EVERY QB in the NFL that makes that throw should be categorized as Lucky

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Looked back shoulder to me, why because the CB was over the top. If not then EVERY QB in the NFL that makes that throw should be categorized as Lucky

Seen Eli complete that over and over to OBJ......

Yep every completion was lucky.

BTW Eli threw for over 100 yards the last 2 possessions and most were check downs to RB's......  

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

CB was not over the top.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/allen-shows-off-his-arm-on-57-yard-completion

underthrown in my estimation.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

CB was not over the top.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/allen-shows-off-his-arm-on-57-yard-completion

underthrown in my estimation.

That Corner was on the Right hip of Zay Jones in perfect position to defend that over the top throw.  Not the back shoulder throw that was made.  Again if this is Lucky EVERY QB that does it is Lukcy

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How about being impressed he threw it 63 yards in the air.  I doubt the safety thought he had the arm to throw a tight pass that far.

i wasn't disputing the throw, just the statement that the CB was over the top. he wasn't.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That Corner was on the Right hip of Zay Jones in perfect position to defend that over the top throw.  Not the back shoulder throw that was made.  Again if this is Lucky EVERY QB that does it is Lukcy

umm, no. no he wasn't. not sure what you are watching.

Edited by Foxx

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i wasn't disputing the throw, just the statement that the CB was over the top. he wasn't.

umm, no. no he wasn't. not sure what you are watching.

He absolutely was in the Right Hip but either way like many said 

in Allens first game if you dislike him there will be support for you to pick from. Same with if you like him. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

in Allens first game if you dislike him there will be support for you to pick from. Same with if you like him. 

He was the #7 pick.......  You give him every chance to be your franchise qb.  And he isn't a fifth round pick.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

no. it is not a question of whether or not i liked Allen (which i did, ftr) , it is a matter of objectively seeing something without bias. it is simply, the ball was underthrown, nothing more, nothing less.  

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

no. it is not a question of whether or not i liked Allen (which i did, ftr) , it is a matter of objectively seeing something without bias. it is simply, the ball was underthrown, nothing more, nothing less.  

Thats your non biased take I get it. Mine is it was a back shoulder throw. 

Only one knows for sure is Allen. 

4 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Allen was wildly inaccurate and was missing wide open receivers by not scanning the 2nd half of the field. That is what worries me the most.

I'll be giving this a few more weeks before I put my stamp on my expectation but IMO Allen did not look like an NFL QB. He looked like a Bills QB... But Allen's debut did not go well at all.

What?   That's the game you wanted to see not the game he played; e em with the mistakes he made.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He threw it as far as he could, the receiver was the only one watching the trajectory and made the adjustment, we see this over and over in the NFL on passes heaved 63 years in the air.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

again, i dispute your take.

first off, i don't know how you can say being  a yard and a half back of Zay, is being on his right hip. secondly, i'm not sure but i don't believe back shoulder throws require the receiver to  whoa up for 5 yards before the ball gets there. of course i have been wrong before so, ya know.....

Edited by Foxx