Low expectations - 245 passing is something to build on....

Billsfan1972

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I was really against Gordon last week, my tune has changed after yesterday. 

I do think they’ll call, but I also think they won’t give up the 3rd rounder it’ll probably take to get him after the Coleman debacle.

Gordon is what 750k this year? Nobody is gonna come that cheap with that much talent. Only issue I see is we get roasted even more if we drop a 3rd rounder for him and he screws up fast and gets suspended forever. 

But they need his dynamic playmaking for sure 

McCarrons 5th that becomes a 3rd with a Probowl will get it done.

Then stays clean low tender him, if an offer comes decide if you want to roll the dice he will stay clean, if not take the 2nd round compensation and run.  You just upgraded that McCarron pick

Well i take solace in Peyton Mannings debut being a little underwhelming as well...

21 of 37 302 yards 1 TD and 3 INTs. 

Not saying Allen is even in the same category but just saying that even great ones struggle early on sometimes.

And at least he appears to already be better than JP Losman...took Losman until into his 2nd year as a starter(granted he only played 8 games the first year he started but still..) to throw for 245+ yards in a game and he only did it 4 or 5 times in his whole career.

I knows its an awfully low bar to clear but still...

Edited by matter2003

Got what I expected from Allen yesterday.  A rookie who has a lot of work to do but the work can be done.  Had he been allowed to sit for a while he probably would have looked more polished but it is what it is.  Some people want Manning, Montana, or Marino out of the gate and that just was not going to happen given Allen's state of development.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

McCarrons 5th that becomes a 3rd with a Probowl will get it done.

Then stays clean low tender him, if an offer comes decide if you want to roll the dice he will stay clean, if not take the 2nd round compensation and run.  You just upgraded that McCarron pick

I fully agree.

Cleveland said they want to send him to the NFC and I guess he said he wants Dallas or San Fran. But hey they owe us for Tyrod ? And Coleman. Time to call in that favor 

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Got what I expected from Allen yesterday.  A rookie who has a lot of work to do but the work can be done.  Had he been allowed to sit for a while he probably would have looked more polished but it is what it is.  Some people want Manning, Montana, or Marino out of the gate and that just was not going to happen given Allen's state of development.

Actually the numbers were not far off from what Manning gave out of the gate...

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I fully agree.

Cleveland said they want to send him to the NFC and I guess he said he wants Dallas or San Fran. But hey they owe us for Tyrod ? And Coleman. Time to call in that favor 

Of course they do because he is talented.  However we are not a threat to any of their playoff thinking.

And of course just offer a better package than the NFC teams. Obviously after two weeks are picks are looking very valuable.

I saw one wtf pass. The interception towards the end. Although the DB dove to get it, not sure it should have been thrown. As far as the horrible mechanics people are claiming, I’m not sure how much of that is image maintenance-which Allen is unfortunately going to have to fight more than any qb  I’ve ever seen.  He looks like the real deal who’s not getting any favors anywhere.  

Im worried he will be ruined but he doesn’t seem like the type that worries about that. 

Hes got more game than any an I’ve seen in buffalo in a long time and it’s a shame that a lot of people here refuse to see that 

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Allen was wildly inaccurate and was missing wide open receivers by not scanning the 2nd half of the field. That is what worries me the most.

I'll be giving this a few more weeks before I put my stamp on my expectation but IMO Allen did not look like an NFL QB. He looked like a Bills QB... But Allen's debut did not go well at all.

I could not disagree more (respectfully, of course).

I loved what I saw.  He made some good decisions and - yes - some very inaccurate throws.  I'll take the good decisions in a first NFL start.

I'll also wait until he has a complete year's worth of starts to judge him - which won't be until next season.  After start #1, I'm very happy and optimistic.

Just now, bobblehead said:

I saw one wtf pass. The interception towards the end. Although the DB dove to get it, not sure it should have been thrown. As far as the horrible mechanics people are claiming, I’m not sure how much of that is image maintenance-which Allen is unfortunately going to have to fight more than any qb  I’ve ever seen.  He looks like the real deal who’s not getting any favors anywhere.  

Im worried he will be ruined but he doesn’t seem like the type that worries about that. 

Hes got more game than any an I’ve seen in buffalo in a long time and it’s a shame that a lot of people here refuse to see that 

This for me.  Look, we all loved Fitz's aggressive nature, but were frustrated that he couldn't make all the throws.  Trent and Tyrod didn't even bother throwing downfield, making the offense difficult to watch.  We now have someone who has the self-confidence and ability to put pressure on the secondary.  Sure he's going to make some bad throws, they all do.  But at least it's exciting again.  Once he gets a few lineman in front of him, this could really be fun again. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Needs to work on his touch.  The 2nd pick had a really bad trajectory.

The back-shoulder stuff will take time and practice to nail down the timing and placement.  Seems like he's seeing them, but the receivers (benjamin) aren't necessarily seeing the same thing.  Or they're turning late, or the balls late/early etc.  Need more reps

Edited by dneveu

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

Allen was wildly inaccurate and was missing wide open receivers by not scanning the 2nd half of the field. That is what worries me the most.

I'll be giving this a few more weeks before I put my stamp on my expectation but IMO Allen did not look like an NFL QB. He looked like a Bills QB... But Allen's debut did not go well at all.

Did Goff look like an NFL QB rookie year? How about Kirk Cousins?

usually QBs who look good their rookie seasons is because they have talent around them and systems in place to help them out. Our QB had nothing. 

He may still turn out to be a stinker but judging him this year isn’t fair. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

usually QBs who look good their rookie seasons is because they have talent around them and systems in place to help them out. Our QB had nothing. 

Or just... based off of a single game when hes had limited time with the 1's to nail down timing with receivers, or blocking communication with the line. 

His line communication improved as the game went on, but considering 2 of 5 sacks were blown plays, he definitely seems to have better pocket presence than peterman.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I'm just calling it the way I saw it with absolutely no references to anything else. He was underwhelming throwing the football in his 1st start.

that is my opinion, I saw a QB who was inaccurate and did not make many quick reads left WRs open.

Its not the only one game but his 1st was ho hum at best

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

I'm just calling it the way I saw it with absolutely no references to anything else. He was underwhelming throwing the football in his 1st start.

that is my opinion, I saw a QB who was inaccurate and did not make many quick reads left WRs open.

Its not the only one game but his 1st was ho hum at best

i think that if one is being fair, they must also look for the positives.  if one has a negative mindset though, they will not see very many positives.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

i think that if one is being fair, they must also look for the positives.  if one has a negative mindset though, they will not see very many positives.

I had lots of positives during preseason.. However real bullets are flying and I did not see much from a passing stand point in his 1st start. Yeah he ran a few made a few swing screens, but from and overall passing stand point and a QB general stand point he has lots of room for improvement

hopefully each week he improves.. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ddaryl said:

I had lots of positives during preseason.. However real bullets are flying and I did not see much from a passing stand point in his 1st start. Yeah he ran a few made a few swing screens, but from and overall passing stand point and a QB general stand point he has lots of room for improvement

hopefully each week he improves.. 

i would say that from this observers eye, the positives and negatives were about equal. with that being said, i would agree, he has lots of room for improvement. i also liked very many of the things he displayed yesterday as well.

Just now, Foxx said:

i would say that from this observers eye, the positives and negatives were about equal. with that being said, i would agree, he has lots of room for improvement. i also liked very many of the things he displayed yesterday as well.

What did you like?

I am focusing purely on his passing because that is what we need..

however I will lay the disclaimer. I hope he improves quickly.

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

What did you like?

I am focusing purely on his passing because that is what we need..

however I will lay the disclaimer. I hope he improves quickly.

i did lay out my observations earlier in this thread. https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/208884-low-expectations-245-passing-is-something-to-build-on/?do=findComment&comment=5316001

While the passing yardage is nice...it really does not tell the tale of the game.....

- Josh Allen missed open receivers.....but he also isnt trusting his protection right now and those things go hand in hand...as he continues to get reps that will fix itself.

- We are NOT running the ball effectively.....in all honesty the other one cut north south runners on the team are having better games right now.....I dont want to trade Shady or anything but it speaks on the lack of run blocking.   When you cannot run the ball you HAVE to pass....when you fall behind in the game like we are doing you HAVE to pass.

- QBs are going to throw int's when they are trying to pass a team back into the game.   Happens to ALL of the qbs.

• Like (+1) 1