Low expectations - 245 passing is something to build on....

Billsfan1972

In 2017 the Bills had 3 games with more passing yards......  

The Bills have no receivers and we are trotting out a rookie.

So after a decade of the Bills refusing to play Football the way it is being played by the majority of NFL teams (i.e. with a passing game), 245 seems like 350+ to me..... 

An easy comparison is Jared Goff and the putrid rookie campaign he put up and now with weapons and coaching that emphasizes the Offense is looking pretty good.  

I for one was okay with what I saw and hope that there continues to be progression (though concerned with the schedule).

My biggest fear is an injury and the Peterman fans return on mass.... 

Passing yards don’t tell me much. Personally, I’m much more concerned with TD:int, 3rd down conversions, and completion percentage mixed with a high YPA. Efficiency is way more important than the gross stats. Are you making the plays at the right time? Are you making more plays than mistakes? Are you getting chunks of yards at a time? That’s what really tells the story. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen was wildly inaccurate and was missing wide open receivers by not scanning the 2nd half of the field. That is what worries me the most.

I'll be giving this a few more weeks before I put my stamp on my expectation but IMO Allen did not look like an NFL QB. He looked like a Bills QB... But Allen's debut did not go well at all.

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

Allen was wildly inaccurate and was missing wide open receivers by not scanning the 2nd half of the field. That is what worries me the most.

I'll be giving this a few more weeks before I put my stamp on my expectation but IMO Allen did not look like an NFL QB. He looked like a Bills QB... But Allen's debut did not go well at all.

SMH

Just now, ddaryl said:

That’s just not true at all. That’s digging in because he wasn’t the guy that you wanted. He looked like other good young QBs do in their first start. There was a lot of positives mixed with a few mistakes. The 2 biggest mistakes were the 2nd INT and the last sack by James (that was his responsibility). He stood tall in the pocket, made plays with his feet and arm and moved the team some. He looked like the guy that we are hoping for. Obviously, he’s nowhere near a finished product and also plays with THE worst talent in the league. It’s going to take longer than “a few more weeks” but if you didn’t leave that game encouraged it’s because you didn’t go in with an open mind. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

Really????  I guess I was wearing rose coloured glasses as it was not Peterman, wasn't embarrassing and over 200 yards passing.......

Compare this to Goff in 2016 when he finally started in November.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3046779/jared-goff

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s just not true at all. That’s digging in because he wasn’t the guy that you wanted. He looked like other good young QBs do in their first start. There was a lot of positives mixed with a few mistakes. The 2 biggest mistakes were the 2nd INT and the last sack by James (that was his responsibility). He stood tall in the pocket, made plays with his feet and arm and moved the team some. He looked like the guy that we are hoping for. Obviously, he’s nowhere near a finished product and also plays with THE worst talent in the league. It’s going to take longer than “a few more weeks” but if you didn’t leave that game encouraged it’s because you didn’t go in with an open mind. 

His numbers were pretty close to Darnold's this week. Wonder if ddaryl believes Darnold will be a bust, too.

Just now, ddaryl said:

please elaborate instead of a shake my head cause I have absolutely no idea if you are agreeing with me or attempting to call me out for an opinion.

His numbers were pretty close to Darnold's this week against much tougher competition. Think Darnold's gonna be a bust too or nah?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Calling it the way I saw it. He made plays with his feet because he was unable to find open WR's or make that quick D dissection at the line and find the WR with quick throw. Maybe this gets better but, as of his 1st start it was subpar.

He threw a few lame ducks, and had some inaccurate passes  and I just wasn't happy with his performance. You can try to cling to a few positives but overall I did not see anything to get overly excited for in his debut.. 

I hope he gets better but don't start this Not my guy BS I jumped on the Allen train when  drafted him.. 

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

His numbers were pretty close to Darnold's this week. Wonder if ddaryl believes Darnold will be a bust, too.

His numbers were pretty close to Darnold's this week against much tougher competition. Think Darnold's gonna be a bust too or nah?

I don't care about Darnold Rosen or any other QB in the entire league. I only care about Allen and what I saw with my own 2 eyes. He did not look good passing the football IMO

again not throwing in the towel but was not thrilled with his debut

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Really????  I guess I was wearing rose coloured glasses as it was not Peterman, wasn't embarrassing and over 200 yards passing.......

Compare this to Goff in 2016 when he finally started in November.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3046779/jared-goff

I don't care about any other QB in this entire league. Allen did not look that good in my eyes. Lots of bad throws and not scanning the entire field. Can't think of any quick throws he made to beat the blitz or rush besides a couple of swing screens 

Again I don't hate Allen I just hope he gets a lot better quickly... 

Edited by ddaryl

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Calling it the way I saw it. He made plays with his feet because he was unable to find open WR's or make that quick D dissection at the line and find the WR with quick throw. Maybe this gets better but, as of his 1st start it was subpar.

He threw a few lame ducks, and had some inaccurate passes  and I just wasn't happy with his performance. You can try to cling to a few positives but overall I did not see anything to get overly excited for in his debut.. 

He’s never going to be the “quick throw” guy. That’s Peterman. Allen is going to play like Ben or Stafford. He’s going to hang as long as he can and try to push the ball down the field. He’s never going to be the 90% completion guy. He’s going to make big plays.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s never going to be the “quick throw” guy. That’s Peterman. Allen is going to play like Ben or Stafford. He’s going to hang as long as he can and try to push the ball down the field. He’s never going to be the 90% completion guy. He’s going to make big plays.

We have a porous OL so he has to be. In the NFL the quick pass is a big part of keeping D's honest... If you don't have that then you greatly reduced your ability to be an NFL QB.  You can not tell me that Ben or Stafford never had the quick slant in their repertoire 

as i said in one of Kirby's threads, there was some good and some bad yesterday. yes there were some encouraging signs, such as him standing tall in the pocket, displaying a good pocket presence. knowing when to step up, when to move laterally, just a good general awareness of the people around him. the ability to keep his eyes down field while all the chaos of pocket mechanics are going on around him is excellent for a rook in his first start. he displayed his fantastic arm strength and an ability to put some mustard on the ball.

there were also some concerning aspects. including touch on short passes, ball placement, not seeing the entire field  and a general lack of knowing where the soft spot in the D should be. the second interception was just a bad pass all the way around, he should not have thrown that pass unless it was over the head of the receiver. i don't know if it was bad footwork or what but you can't make those passes.

of course the negatives in his game should be correctable, the question is, will they get corrected. these concerns are ones that he had coming out of college, though he has worked hard to correct them and it does appear that he is making progress. playing with sub-par talent around him isn't the best way to advance that learning curve but if he is going to be good, he will make those advances regardless, albeit just with a few more growing pains.

it is simply too early to say one way or the other with any sort of real definite knowing where he will shake out. there are encouraging signs and concerns but until a better picture is formed, all we can do is watch at this point and hope he turns into what we all hope he will.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

In 2017 the Bills had 3 games with more passing yards......  

The Bills have no receivers and we are trotting out a rookie.

So after a decade of the Bills refusing to play Football the way it is being played by the majority of NFL teams (i.e. with a passing game), 245 seems like 350+ to me..... 

An easy comparison is Jared Goff and the putrid rookie campaign he put up and now with weapons and coaching that emphasizes the Offense is looking pretty good.  

I for one was okay with what I saw and hope that there continues to be progression (though concerned with the schedule).

My biggest fear is an injury and the Peterman fans return on mass.... 

Man Sammy on his 5th year option and Woods at a little more than what they are playing Kerley, Holmes and Coleman (not to play) sure would look nice now, if ONLY they were not Whaley guys

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

We have a porous OL so he has to be. In the NFL the quick pass is a big part of keeping D's honest... If you don't have that then you greatly reduced your ability to be an NFL QB.  You can not tell me that Ben or Stafford never had the quick slant in their repertoire 

Im sure Josh would love to throw a quick slant to AB, Juju, Golden Tate, Kenny Gollady.

We have Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin.....

I watched the "every throw Josh Allen made" video, and it was not pretty at all. He got lucky on the long Zay Jones throw, and a lot of his yards came on screen passes, one big one coming in garbage time. The rest of it looked really rough:

- Every throw was a laser beam, which is not always called for

- Placement did not allow for run after the catch; did not hit guys in stride really at all

- Even worse, placement often put receiver in the path of a Safety running full speed into his chest 

- Several balls that he was lucky were not picked off, including the aforementioned bomb to ZJ. 

I still believe he has it in him to be good to great, but I think the critics were right - this young fella is RAW. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Man Sammy on his 5th year option and Woods at a little more than what they are playing Kerley, Holmes and Coleman (not to play) sure would look nice now, if ONLY they were not Whaley guys

Don't remind me......  Oh and offense is no big deal according to McDermott.....