9-16: Bills Beat Podcast - Josh Allen's Debut and Vontae Davis Leaves at Halftime

26CornerBlitz

The Buffalo Bills are now 0-2 on the season, but they've got some things to draw on from their most recent loss to the Los Angeles Chargers. Josh Allen is officially debuted, and Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn convene to discuss how he looked and where he goes from here. Plus, some switches that they'd like to see permanent with the Bills. And the Vontae Davis situation, which will probably go down as one of the most bizarre gameday situations you'll ever encounter.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Joe B: 7 observations from Buffalo Bills - Los Angeles Chargers (9/16/18)

(WKBW) - For the second straight week, the Buffalo Bills looked as though the start of the game hit them by surprise. In the debut of their rookie quarterback, the Bills found themselves down 28-3 at one point, and with another game that looked both as though they were helpless and hapless.

However, in the second half, the Bills showed signs of life. And while it was too little, too late, the Bills had some things they could take away from the 31-20 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers -- even if they are now 0-2 to start the 2018 season.

So, what can we take away from a memorable Week Two loss? Seven observations from the Bills-Chargers game:

1) Josh Allen's signs of life and room for improvement
2) Sean McDermott's necessary switch
3) One of the most bizarre gameday happenings: Vontae Davis
4) McDermott deserves criticism for gameday roster
5) Pass rush finally shows signs of life
6) Offensive line change needs consideration
7) An unexpected linebacker shuffle

Bills MVP: QB Josh Allen
- In another down game, despite the two interceptions, the signs of life were as encouraging for the fan base as anything in the game.

Bills LVP: CB Vontae Davis
- No further questions, your honor.
Up Next: Week Three on the road against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, September 23.

Final Thoughts:
- Well here we are, in the spot that many thought the Bills would have been in for the 2017 season -- just one year later. The Bills are seemingly all in on 2018 being a rebuilding effort, using rhetoric like "nobody said it was going to be pretty," and "we're a work in progress." From a long-term rebuilding perspective, it has been something that has long been overdue from the franchise -- but one that needs to happen correctly with the moves that they make to rebuild that roster. The time to get experience to the young players is here, in the hopes that things start to click as the season progresses. The same goes for the long-term free agent signings the Bills have made, in the hope that they are a part of the solution for 2019 and 2020. Not every fan will be onboard for such an, at times, miserable season for the sake of long-term growth, but all that matters, in the end, is that they nail it with the core players that they've identified. Those fans out there that are starting to get the urge to want Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane canned, I've got bad news. They aren't going anywhere. They are as safe as can be and have delivered on every promise they've made to ownership to this point. They have time on their side and the understanding from Terry and Kim Pegula that 2018 likely wasn't going to be a pretty one. This type of season is what the Bills signed up for when they changed the entire building of staff, so this is going according to plan. Whether or not it works remains to be seen, but the broader point to understand is that they knew this was coming. Now, it's a matter of finding those small gains that can turn into long-term solutions. In the end, that's what 2018 is all about.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Vontae Davis is going to regret his decision.Who does that? See out the game and retire on Monday. I don't think you can expect respect from anyone when you do something like that.

On the other side, Josh Allen really showed potential. He made a bunch of rookie mistakes but you really can see him growing. As someone who thought he should learn from the bench, I'm ready to admit that I was wrong. The kid is definitely tough enough to start now and learn the hard way. Another loss but a better performance from week 1. 

3 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Vontae Davis is going to regret his decision.Who does that? See out the game and retire on Monday. I don't think you can expect respect from anyone when you do something like that.

On the other side, Josh Allen really showed potential. He made a bunch of rookie mistakes but you really can see him growing. As someone who thought he should learn from the bench, I'm ready to admit that I was wrong. The kid is definitely tough enough to start now and learn the hard way. Another loss but a better performance from week 1. 

Actually, he made the same mistakes he is known for making, and which have nothing to do with being a rookie in the NFL.  Lack of anticipation, not throwing receivers open, very inconsistent accuracy, missing wide open receivers, etc.

If his limitations were limited to learning experiences or rookie mistakes, we'd be in great shape.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Actually, he made the same mistakes he is known for making, and which have nothing to do with being a rookie in the NFL.  Lack of anticipation, not throwing receivers open, very inconsistent accuracy, missing wide open receivers, etc.

If his limitations were limited to learning experiences or rookie mistakes, we'd be in great shape.

I feel like I am in a TBD version of "Groundhog Day." Every day I wake up, come on to TBD, and read the same post from you about how Josh Allen sucks...

If the head coach taking over the defensive play calls at half time isn't a flashing red light the coordinators and unit coaches are a big issue, I'm not sure what is.  

IMO, the team has been outschemed and outcoached the first two games by a considerable margin.  A lack of talent doesn't get you into such a massive hole so quickly by halftime.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dpberr said:

If the head coach taking over the defensive play calls at half time isn't a flashing red light the coordinators and unit coaches are a big issue, I'm not sure what is.  

IMO, the team has been outschemed and outcoached the first two games by a considerable margin.  A lack of talent doesn't get you into such a massive hole so quickly by halftime.  

When there is such a large disparity between opposing teams it certainly can. Look for the same thing to happen in the next two games on the road.

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Obviously he does not care about people's respect.  He could give two ***** about it.  That's why he did the lowdown move he did.