Joe B.: Bills Sacrificing Miserable Season For Long-Term Growth

BuffaloRush

10 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I don't buy being the worst team in football is part of the plan at all.  None of their moves speak to planning on going 0-16.  It seems pretty clear they thought this team's core is a legitimate playoff team, attempted to shore up some weak points by bringing in Star to help vs the run, Edmunds to take over and upgrade the LB corps, Davis to replace Gaines.  Bodine and Newhouse on the line.

They thought the defense was legitimate last year and just needed some patching in different areas, meanwhile the offense had enough to make Peterman/a rookie QB passable enough to win conservative games.  They badly miss-evaluated the talent they had in the building and their FA signings.  You don't make an aggressive trade up for a linebacker if you think the team is rebuilding and in need of an infusion of young talent, that's a "we think we are close and he'll be a key piece" move.

agreed, the Bills are not aiming to be the worst, the team means too much to the fanbase and organizational pride, even if that seems laughable to others...

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They Created the DEAD Cap Issues.  

1.  Dareus - why could he have not been on this team right now, instead of paying 22M against the cap for Star (who will also be gone by the time the team is good) 

2.  Tyrod / McCarron - completely SELF INFLICTED 10M this year and 2M next in dead cap

3.  Glenn - Still could be here and at RT 

4.  Wood - Completely Self inflicted (but giving that a pass on the health)

5.  Coleman - Completely self inflicted.

There are your TOP 5 Dead Cap numbers this year.

1- did you watch him play last year for us?  Ok.  That’s answers that question.  

2- we got the 1st pick in the 3rd rd and the 2nd pick in the 5th rd this year for 2 QBs that have as many wins this year as sweet nate Pete. 

3-  he had a broken foot for 2 years.  He weighs over 350.  Broken feet + 350 LBs = no thanks at 11 mill a year.  

4-  why is wood even brought up?  He retired due to a neck injury.  Makes no sense.

5- rolled the dice on a 1st rd pick 2 years removed.  He’s fast.  We had no speed.  We traded a 7th rd pick and have 3 mill in dead cap space because of it.  If that’s the best you’ve got, you’ve got nothing 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

They Created the DEAD Cap Issues.  

1.  Dareus - why could he have not been on this team right now, instead of paying 22M against the cap for Star (who will also be gone by the time the team is good) 

2.  Tyrod / McCarron - completely SELF INFLICTED 10M this year and 2M next in dead cap

3.  Glenn - Still could be here and at RT 

4.  Wood - Completely Self inflicted (but giving that a pass on the health)

5.  Coleman - Completely self inflicted.

There are your TOP 5 Dead Cap numbers this year.

1. Dareus was lazy and failed to show any real motivation while in Buffalo. Good for him in Jax, but he was NOT that competitive in his last few years in Buffalo. Getting that contract gone will help....ready......NEXT YEAR!

2. Tyrod was NOT coming back. Very few wanted him here, but glad you're one of them that did. AJ was a really decent FA signing at the time, but Beane admitted AJ was not the QB they believed he would be when he got to Buffalo. So, unlike some on this board - he admitted his mistake and traded him for a 5th round pick. Rather than eating a roster spot and getting nothing from him. He traded him at his highest point, just after the comeback game that meant nothing but counted for something.

3. Glenn was part of the strategy to get to Allen - and again, how quickly people forget that Glenn had constant nagging foot injuries and to be paying a guy without value, makes no sense. So, they used him to get their QB of the future. If you don't see how that works for the team, then there's nothing I can do for you.

4. Wood - how is that self-inflicted? He had no idea about the injury until the end of the season check-up....and then you say giving that a pass, it shouldn't have even been brought up to begin with.

5. Coleman - with this regarding the money, we agree. Now with this, I give them a pass because if it had worked out, it would have been a coup for Beane to pay so little to get so much. But they knew the risks and calculated it was worth it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

1- did you watch him play last year for us?  Ok.  That’s answers that question.  Does it, how is Star and his ZERO tackles. And BAD Contract?

2- we got the 1st pick in the 3rd rd and the 2nd pick in the 5th rd this year for 2 QBs that have as many wins this year as sweet nate Pete. (So Self Inflicted like I said)

3-  he had a broken foot for 2 years.  He weighs over 350.  Broken feet + 35” LBs = no thanks at 11 mill a year.  (Better than Mills right, wouldnt that help Allen not getting pressure every play, seems to help Dalton)

4-  why is wood even brought up?  He retired due to a neck injury.  Makes no sense. (Self inflicted with the extension in that offseason, and apparent you cant read giving a pass)

5- rolled the dice on a 1st rd pick 2 years removed.  He’s fast.  We had no speed.  We traded a 7th rd pick and have 3 mill in dead cap space because of it.  If that’s the best you’ve got, you’ve got nothing  (Self Inflicted, see seems they SHOULDNT be getting a pass on this dead cap issue, and have it as some blame to Whaley to deflect)

Bolded Comments

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

1. Dareus was lazy and failed to show any real motivation while in Buffalo. Good for him in Jax, but he was NOT that competitive in his last few years in Buffalo. Getting that contract gone will help....ready......NEXT YEAR! And yet Gave it RIGHT to Star, ooo and by they way could have moved on this year for less hit.

2. Tyrod was NOT coming back. Very few wanted him here, but glad you're one of them that did. AJ was a really decent FA signing at the time, but Beane admitted AJ was not the QB they believed he would be when he got to Buffalo. So, unlike some on this board - he admitted his mistake and traded him for a 5th round pick. Rather than eating a roster spot and getting nothing from him. He traded him at his highest point, just after the comeback game that meant nothing but counted for something. Self Inflicted So how is this Whaley to blame?

3. Glenn was part of the strategy to get to Allen - and again, how quickly people forget that Glenn had constant nagging foot injuries and to be paying a guy without value, makes no sense. So, they used him to get their QB of the future. If you don't see how that works for the team, then there's nothing I can do for you. Didnt need to, picks could have been used and have a OT to protect Allen, there are other ways of doing things.

4. Wood - how is that self-inflicted? He had no idea about the injury until the end of the season check-up....and then you say giving that a pass, it shouldn't have even been brought up to begin with. Signed him to an extension, so yep self inflicted, though again like above give them a pass on this.

5. Coleman - with this regarding the money, we agree. Now with this, I give them a pass because if it had worked out, it would have been a coup for Beane to pay so little to get so much. But they knew the risks and calculated it was worth it. Self inflicted as I said.  And no pass why? Because we are paying him to be on the Patriots while we trot out the likes of Kerley and Holmes on the opening day Roster.  He should be on the roster and this self inflicted dead cap would not be here.

So again stop giving a pass on the dead cap and blaming Whaley

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not concerned about the lack of rookies.  What concerns me is that where they have brought guys in, they've often brought in older guys on the downhill slide of their career, who even if they play well, are not the future - in preference to younger players whom they've either let walk or traded away.  They're also playing long-in-the-tooth vets in preference to young players at times

Examples:

-26 year old EJ Gaines vs 30 yr old Vontae Davis - similar contracts

-letting Robert Woods (26) and Marquise Goodwin (27) walk (along with younger WR prospects last 2 years) vs bringing in Andre Holmes (30) and Jeremy Kerley (29)

There's also the persistent excuse that they are hampered by the huge dead cap they themselves created, and could easily have lessened with different decisions.

Maybe these guys have a plan, and maybe their plan will work, but if their plan is overall to improve the talent on the roster to win now and in the future (as they say it is), it kind of looks more like they trashed the place.

I think you can fairly criticize the current regime for some of these.  Gaines now looks like a bad move considering the cowardly thing Davis just did.  And I said yesterday I was puzzled by the Kerley thing.  Others you can't be as critical of.  I don't think Woods was going to sign in free agency; the fact that they never made a serious move to sign him was a signal to me that they knew Woods  wanted to move along.  And Goodwin?  Sorry, but that's revisionist history.  He could not stay on the field here.  And then guys like Gilmore were really Whaley's issue before the current regime could do much. 

Looking at all the moves I would like to have Gaines still here.  Maybe Darby.  I might have looked at other assets to trade Cincy other than Glenn, but then again they needed O line help and Glenn was hurt essentially all last season, with a big cap hit to boot.  I don't think I would have given a third for Benjaming given his nonchalance lately; I always liked Sammy and would have liked to see him stay but he had his own issues as well.  And Dareus I can't blame them for at all; so many coaches, Kyle, etc. could not get through to the kid.  I would have looked for an edge rusher elsewhere and not given Murphy a contract even though it's a very temporary hit.

So some of the moves they've made to stay competitive this year haven't panned out as well as they'd like, and that's on them.  Going forward, they have to make sure they draft well (they did this year) and pick the right FAs. 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I take Joe B's word on almost anything.  IMO, he is the hardest worker in the Buffalo media pool and does not pull punches, nor unnecessarily bag on players/management.  He is fair.

Reading that backed me from the ledge a bit.

Its pretty clear that current Bills management is iron clad until the 2020 season starts at a minimum.  Might as well see this through.  2018 is likely shot, but Allen didnt look to far out of class, and has 14 games to improve, and we see extensive reinforcements in 2019 and 2020.

He is without a doubt the finest Bills reporter the area has. He calls a spade a spade but like you said he doesn't go off into negativity the way some reporters will where it feels like the criticism is to a point of unnecessary.

I kinda expected this season to be a 3-5 win season. Literally the only reason I had any hope was because last year I thought the same and they proved me wrong. This is probably the lowest my expectations have been since the 2010 year where winning games felt like an accomplishment forget the playoffs. I'm OK with this and just hope in the offseason they can really bolster the offense as a whole.

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

He is without a doubt the finest Bills reporter the area has. He calls a spade a spade but like you said he doesn't go off into negativity the way some reporters will where it feels like the criticism is to a point of unnecessary.

I kinda expected this season to be a 3-5 win season. Literally the only reason I had any hope was because last year I thought the same and they proved me wrong. This is probably the lowest my expectations have been since the 2010 year where winning games felt like an accomplishment forget the playoffs. I'm OK with this and just hope in the offseason they can really bolster the offense as a whole.

same here.  what happens this season really doesn't phase me at all.  just let the young guys develop.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Purging bad contracts and malcontents with more of the same? 

Watkins>Benjamin

Dareus>Star

Glenn> any tackle we have on this team 

Darby> the recently retired Davis.

But yea I know, those guys didn't fit with the McBeane culture and process and DNA or whatever you want to call it. 

They didn't have the money to replace Wood and Incognito? What a made up narrative.

They doled out money to Star, Murphy, and Davis instead and settled scrap FAs on the Oline. 

Its real easy to tear things down, but as we are already witnessing with this regime, it's a lot harder to build it back up. A bunch of their personnel decisions leave a lot to be desired up to this point.

Well said.

The other issue that is going to highlight the stupidity of their approach is that the Bills likely will have no choice but to over pay if they want to sign really talented free agents this coming off season given that we are likely to be one of the worst teams in the NFL.

In the end, McBeane:

1) got rid of what they thought were "bad contracts" (of some good players);

2) got rid of some other good young talent on rookie contracts;

3) have given out bad contracts to others this year; and

4) most likely will have to over pay this coming off season to attract significant talent.

In the meantime, we are likely going to have an historically bad season.

Process that.

20 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Wrong. Always wrong. And you're #1 in the Great Ignore Purge of 2018! Congratulations!

Cordy Glenn and the Bengals gave up 0 sacks to the Ravens.

The Buffalo Bills without Cordy Glenn gave up 6 sacks to the Ravens.

Bonus: I never saw Cordy Glenn manhandled like I saw Dion manhandled by Myles Garrett.

Just now, Peter said:

Cordy Glenn and the Bengals gave up 0 sacks to the Ravens.

The Buffalo Bills without Cordy Glenn gave up 6 sacks to the Ravens.

Bonus: I never saw Cordy Glenn manhandled like I saw Dion manhandled by Myles Garrett.

Come on man, you're better than this.

The Bengals are another team loaded with other weapons. The Ravens just couldn't ignore the routes and get after dalton like they did nate.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Come on man, you're better than this.

The Bengals are another team loaded with other weapons. The Ravens just couldn't ignore the routes and get after dalton like they did nate.

I am sorry that we disagree, but I will take Cordy Glenn over any of our offensive linemen. 

He also is a guy who came back to play in the NFL after having his kidney removed.  If the whole McBeane "culture"/"DNA" thing were more than just lip service to justify their moves, one would think that Cordy Glenn would have been part of McBeane's "DNA."

33 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Even last week McDermott started to slip in the "this is what we inherited" garbage. 

He made this garbage with Beane. Dont let the misinformation fool you

8 minutes ago, Peter said:

I am sorry that we disagree, but I will take Cordy Glenn over any of our offensive linemen. 

He also is a guy who came back to play in the NFL after having his kidney removed.  If the whole McBeane "culture"/"DNA" thing were more than just lip service to justify their moves, one would think that Cordy Glenn would have been part of McBeane's "DNA."

Dont worry the DNa involved quitters and Former Carolina players. Or anything NOT Whaley

55 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Bolded Comments

So again stop giving a pass on the dead cap and blaming Whaley

there Is long term growth and the is winning in 2018.  McBeane had to choose one or the other.  They chose long term and winning with players they want as opposed to players did nothing but lose, get injured every year, fail drug tests, cry about not being that star etc.....

It’s a rebuild.  Rebuilds sometimes require dead cap space, just like ours,  If we kept all of those players, would we win a super bowl?  No.  Not even close.  That’s the goal.  I think we’re closer to winning a SB by cutting the dead weight and getting players that they want as opposed to what they inherited.  What they do the next 2 offseason will determine their fate.  I have no idea if they will succeed, but I think they did the right thing by getting rid of those contracts.  

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’d take a healthy cordy over our guys too.  He wasn’t healthy the last 2years and foot problems on mountain men are scary.  He’s played 2 games.  Let’s see if he plays the entire year

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

there Is long term growth and the is winning in 2018.  McBeane had to choose one or the other.  They chose long term and winning with players they want as opposed to players did nothing but lose, get injured every year, fail drug tests, cry about not being that star etc.....

It’s a rebuild.  Rebuilds sometimes require dead cap space, just like ours,  If we kept all of those players, would we win a super bowl?  No.  Not even close.  That’s the goal.  I think we’re closer to winning a SB by cutting the dead weight and getting players that they want as opposed to what they inherited.  What they do the next 2 offseason will determine their fate.  I have no idea if they will succeed, but I think they did the right thing by getting rid of those contracts.  

So when did they choose this?

after 47-3? Because it always has been win now win in future. Then COMPLETELY Gutted And self inflicted an excuse of dead money. And the blind followers slop it up. 

Cleveland Rebuild with Dorsey did they GUT Sashi Browns talent because it was Sashi Browns talent?

Edited by MAJBobby

I agree with Joe B.

This board and the old Bills message board, there was constant clamoring for them to clean house and start over. So they finally do and half the fan-base is ready to turn on them again. Nine and a half months ago thousands of fans stood out in freezing weather to welcome the team home after they made the playoffs. Now nothing is good enough?

They've acquired draft capital. They've traded around. They've taken chances on different players. They've had to deal with poor contracts from other regimes. They can't fix everything in one full off-season. (And I say one full off-season because 2018 was Beane and his crews first full off-season running the show). They got rid of business office people. They got rid of people who couldn't stop flapping their lips to the media. They have an articulate and educated HC and GM able to explain themselves fairly eloquently... a welcome change after loud-mouth Rex and "I'm not really good so much at the talking and explaining of the things or who my boss is" Doug Whaley. 

Adios to the snoozin' on FA day GMs like Nix. Adios to the guys that never had any business being GMs in Marv Levy (god love him, superb coach, never should've been a GM) and Russ Brandon. Adios to Doug "He's a good scout but bad team-builder" Whaley. And now people are turning on Beane in the opposite manner? "He has a decent vision for team-building but he a bad scout!" 

For the love of crap, what do you want?! Perfection right from the jump? Doesn't happen. More spinning their tires in the mud? More 7-9, 8-8 records? More seasons just good enough to keep them out of reach of an elite draft pick?

Complaining about all the free agents they got because they don't look like Hall of Famers after two games? Saying they've neglected the OL and WR positions when they've drafted a second round left tackle, a developmental guard, signed some stop-gap guys, retained a center who showed potential to take over as the starter, signed another center just in case, made a huge push for a solid right tackle like Ricky Wagner. Traded for a WR, drafted a second-round WR, made a push to sign Jeremy Maclin, signed Anquan Boldin who decided to go be an activist. I mean, to say they haven't addressed these things is just flat out wrong. Has it gone well? Not yet. But no team hits it out of the park on every free agent. Oh, and, as I've mentioned in other threads, free agents also have to want to sign here. What're they supposed to do, tie guys up and throw loonies at them until they sign?

And now they gotta be fortune tellers to? They were supposed to know that Mahomes would start out on fire? Let's just forget he has one of the greatest QB coaches of all time in his ear and a group of stacked skill players around him. Think he has that kind of success if he comes here? C'mon now.

This season is about the young, core players on this team (Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Tre'Davious White, Dion Dawkins, Zay Jones, etc.) growing and becoming cornerstones for the foundation upon which they'll build this team.

And they'll get to the OL. Beane was on the staff in Carolina that drafted Ryan Kalil (5x Pro Bowl, 2x All-Pro and, what's this, he's a free agent in 2019), Trai Turner (3x Pro Bowl) and Daryl Williams, a serviceable guard (that, unfortunately wound up on IR last week). Pretty decent interior OL. 

Everyone wants the success but nobody wants to exercise patience and let these guys do their thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Purging bad contracts and malcontents with more of the same? 

Watkins>Benjamin

Dareus>Star

Glenn> any tackle we have on this team 

Darby> the recently retired Davis.

But yea I know, those guys didn't fit with the McBeane culture and process and DNA or whatever you want to call it. 

They didn't have the money to replace Wood and Incognito? What a made up narrative.

They doled out money to Star, Murphy, and Davis instead and settled scrap FAs on the Oline. 

Its real easy to tear things down, but as we are already witnessing with this regime, it's a lot harder to build it back up. A bunch of their personnel decisions leave a lot to be desired up to this point.

Sammy and KB, I’ll give you,  KB is a bum.  I can’t stand him.

dareus is a failed drug test away from a year long suspension, was always hurt and not a positive locker room guy.  Star is never hurt, he does as the Defense asks him and gets paid a little more than half of what Dareus gets.  

We we had several holes to fill and not much cap room.  How is it a made up narrative?  Sure, we could’ve paid other bums 3 mill a year like we paid Bodine.....but they’re still bums...like Newhouse.  Who else could we have signed while also signing Murphy and Star?  Which top OL would’ve signed here?  Jacksonville made Norwell the highest paid guard, they have a stacked young team and play in Florida, not Buffalo,  I’m sure we could’ve gotten him.......if we offered him 20 mill a year.  Saying “we should’ve signed so and so is just ridiculous.  So and so has to sign the contract to play here.  Easier said than done.  

They tried to stay somewhat competitive and filled a couple holes.  Murphy looked decent yesterday and Star is clogging up blockers.  I don’t think he’s worth 10 mill a year, but if we had Luke Kuechly out there instead of Edmunds, we might be seeing this in a different light.  Edmunds was HORRIFIC yesterday.

It’s a lot easier to build things up when you have cap room, which we will have next season.  We weren’t going to compete for a super bowl this year gents.  I don’t mind taking it on the chin for a year if it means success going forward.  We wouldn’t be the first team in league history to do so.

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I agree with Joe B.

This board and the old Bills message board, there was constant clamoring for them to clean house and start over. So they finally do and half the fan-base is ready to turn on them again. Nine and a half months ago thousands of fans stood out in freezing weather to welcome the team home after they made the playoffs. Now nothing is good enough?

They've acquired draft capital. They've traded around. They've taken chances on different players. They've had to deal with poor contracts from other regimes. They can't fix everything in one full off-season. (And I say one full off-season because 2018 was Beane and his crews first full off-season running the show). They got rid of business office people. They got rid of people who couldn't stop flapping their lips to the media. They have an articulate and educated HC and GM able to explain themselves fairly eloquently... a welcome change after loud-mouth Rex and "I'm not really good so much at the talking and explaining of the things or who my boss is" Doug Whaley. 

Adios to the snoozin' on FA day GMs like Nix. Adios to the guys that never had any business being GMs in Marv Levy (god love him, superb coach, never should've been a GM) and Russ Brandon. Adios to Doug "He's a good scout but bad team-builder" Whaley. And now people are turning on Beane in the opposite manner? "He has a decent vision for team-building but he a bad scout!" 

For the love of crap, what do you want?! Perfection right from the jump? Doesn't happen. More spinning their tires in the mud? More 7-9, 8-8 records? More seasons just good enough to keep them out of reach of an elite draft pick?

Complaining about all the free agents they got because they don't look like Hall of Famers after two games? Saying they've neglected the OL and WR positions when they've drafted a second round left tackle, a developmental guard, signed some stop-gap guys, retained a center who showed potential to take over as the starter, signed another center just in case, made a huge push for a solid right tackle like Ricky Wagner. Traded for a WR, drafted a second-round WR, made a push to sign Jeremy Maclin, signed Anquan Boldin who decided to go be an activist. I mean, to say they haven't addressed these things is just flat out wrong. Has it gone well? Not yet. But no team hits it out of the park on every free agent. Oh, and, as I've mentioned in other threads, free agents also have to want to sign here. What're they supposed to do, tie guys up and throw loonies at them until they sign?

And now they gotta be fortune tellers to? They were supposed to know that Mahomes would start out on fire? Let's just forget he has one of the greatest QB coaches of all time in his ear and a group of stacked skill players around him. Think he has that kind of success if he comes here? C'mon now.

This season is about the young, core players on this team (Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Tre'Davious White, Dion Dawkins, Zay Jones, etc.) growing and becoming cornerstones for the foundation upon which they'll build this team.

And they'll get to the OL. Beane was on the staff in Carolina that drafted Ryan Kalil (5x Pro Bowl, 2x All-Pro and, what's this, he's a free agent in 2019), Trai Turner (3x Pro Bowl) and Daryl Williams, a serviceable guard (that, unfortunately wound up on IR last week). Pretty decent interior OL. 

Everyone wants the success but nobody wants to exercise patience and let these guys do their thing. 

How about we keep it simple.

Could we expect their roster moves to match what they say the expected? AND Not Contradict it?

Could we see game days rosters also reflect the same?

Like I said start simple

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sammy and KB, I’ll give you,  KB is a bum.  I can’t stand him.

dareus is a failed drug test away from a year long suspension, was always hurt and not a positive locker room guy.  Star is never hurt, he does as the Defense asks him and gets paid a little more than half of what Dareus gets.  

We we had several holes to fill and not much cap room.  How is it a made up narrative?  Sure, we could’ve paid other bums 3 mill a year like we paid Bodine.....but they’re still bums...like Newhouse.  Who else could we have signed while also signing Murphy and Star?  Which top OL would’ve signed here?  Jacksonville made Norwell the highest paid guard, they have a stacked young team and play in Florida, not Buffalo,  I’m sure we could’ve gotten him.......if we offered him 20 mill a year.  Saying “we should’ve signed so and so is just ridiculous.  So and so has to sign the contract to play here.  Easier said than done.  

They tried to stay somewhat competitive and filled a couple holes.  Murphy looked decent yesterday and Star is clogging up blockers.  I don’t think he’s worth 10 mill a year, but if we had Luke Kuechly out there instead of Edmunds, we might be seeing this in a different light.  Edmunds was HORRIFIC yesterday.

It’s a lot easier to build things up when you have cap room, which we will have next season.  We weren’t going to compete for a super bowl this year gents.  I don’t mind taking it on the chin for a year if it means success going forward.  We wouldn’t be the first team in league history to do so.

And All people are saying is this new found development take it on the chin year is just an after the fact spin.  Otherwise NONE of the offseason moves and week 1 Roster make sense do they?