Sully: On Second Thought, the Buffalo Bills Really ARE That Bad

Rico

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I only commented on Sullivan.  Here's how his curmudgeon demeanor sneaks into his writing even when he has every right to rip this team.

"Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander look their age (35). You have to wonder if the Bills kept them around to give the appearance of competing, as the game begins to pass them by."

The first sentence is a fair assessment.  The second sentence is just some conspiracy theory he has. 

I think he’s being facetious. Because seriously, why make a 35 year old sacrifice his body for a lost season?

16 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No mention of how the D performed in the 2nd half, keeping the slant real.

His piece was well balanced and focused on positives and negatives.  Insofar as the criticism was imbalanced, it should have been! We are a horrible team and got our ass kicked.  

For some reason, this forum attracts kool-aid drinking type fans.  And that type of fan hates Jerry Sullivan.

It's just how it is and it's not going to change.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

His piece was well balanced and focused on positives and negatives.  Insofar as the criticism was imbalanced, it should have been! We are a horrible team and got our ass kicked.  

For some reason, this forum attracts kool-aid drinking type fans.  And that type of fan hates Jerry Sullivan.

It's just how it is and it's not going to change.

Why do you always need to insult people?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No mention of how the D performed in the 2nd half, keeping the slant real.

Except that he did, and there’s no slant. It’s pretty much exactly what happened;

Sure, the defense had a stretch of strong play. The game followed the same pattern of a week earlier, when the opposition tore them to pieces early, then seemed to ease up after building an insurmountable lead. Sorry, if you’re a good defense you have to hold up early and keep your team in the game.”

12 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I stopped reading after "overrated pass defense." They don't have a right cornerback, who is overeating them?

This guy is bitter.  Wont bother clicking the link next time.

In all fairness, the secondary has had problems stopping teams when the turnovers began to dry up dating back to the second half of last season.  

9 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

I’m not as upset as I have been in the past about a loss. This is what I expected. Stay competitive, just don’t get blown out. We looked so much better in the 2nd half. We are bad but compete and that gives me hope for the future.

The Bills were not "competitive" in the second half.  The Chargers eased up.  I don't know their roster much beyond their starters, but my guess is that a lot of LA's backups got considerable playing time during the second half.   There is absolutely no hope with this combo of HC and FO because they're going to make sure that Josh Allen, apparently the best -- and maybe only good -- acquisition they've made will never have a real opportunity to succeed as long as they're in charge due to their incompetence.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I only commented on Sullivan.  Here's how his curmudgeon demeanor sneaks into his writing even when he has every right to rip this team.

"Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander look their age (35). You have to wonder if the Bills kept them around to give the appearance of competing, as the game begins to pass them by."

The first sentence is a fair assessment.  The second sentence is just some conspiracy theory he has. 

Actually, if that statement isn't true, then what does that say about McDermott and Beane if they can't even accurately evaluate the performance of the players they've had on their team all preseason?   Suggesting a conspiracy theory seems better than simply accusing them of incompetence because Williams and Alexander have stunk it up in both games.

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I stopped reading after "overrated pass defense." They don't have a right cornerback, who is overeating them?

This guy is bitter.  Wont bother clicking the link next time.

PFF named the Bills’ secondary the seventh-best unit in the entire league”

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/24/buffalo-bills-secondary-tredavious-white-jordan-poyer-micah-hyde-vontae-davis-ej-gaines/

It’s no secret that the Buffalo Bills have one of the best secondaries in the NFL. Between starting cornerbacks Vontae Davis and Tre’Davious White, along with safeties Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer, there aren’t many teams that can match the talent that Buffalo has in their defensive backfield.”

https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-2018-nfl-micah-hyde-tredavious-white/

And also a softball article by Skurski that i’m sure was Pegula approved and lapped up by the fanboys;

“We asked the Bills' secondary: How did you get so good, so fast?”

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/04/buffalo-bills-defensive-backs-hyde-poyer-davis-white/

lol

Edited by 4_kidd_4

4 minutes ago, stony said:

In all fairness, the secondary has had problems stopping teams when the turnovers began to dry up dating back to the second half of last season.  

Don't confuse the Bills faithful with reality.

McCoach took over calling the defense in the second half and the difference was night and day!

IF the "second half defense" played the WHOLE GAME the Bills would have had a chance yesterday.

MAYBE the Bills will find a way to turn this thing around this year.

HOWEVER - I am really starting to not trust Beane's process.

9 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There is no reason for them to be this bad THIS season. If we were losing these games because our young inexperienced qb was making mistakes all over..fine. Instead we are being blown off the ball on both sides and looking like the worst team in the league. Nowhere does it say you need to be terrible to build the tean back up. We were in the playoffs last year and got rid of almost every guy that was an old regime guy last season. Most of the important players came back. This isn’t the plan. 

It seems like these guys would rather lose with their own guys, then win with someone else’s. There is no reason for this season to be this way. The defense is inexplicably terrible and the STs is a joke. The Oline doesn’t belong in the league and the WR group is beyond pathetic. None of these things are helpful or imperative in a rebuild. I have no interest in trying to be the worst team in the league. We just drafted a qb, we are not going to take another one and there is no non QB that I care enough about to be hoping to pick first. It’s week 3 and the season is over. This season is not helping any long term vision. Being out coached in every aspect of the game and alienating the locker room by being booed off the field helps nothing. Actually installing NFL level position groups and philosophy’s would have been helpful. Trying to evaluate a rookie QB while constantly playing from behind with no help does nothing. 

We made the playoffs by default, we haven't won a meaningful game in 18 years, the reset button should have been pushed long ago and it should be pressed untill they have a QB to build around. We've spent years signing mid level fee agents only to be able to beat bad teams and usually still be below average, we need to beanke to draft and keep some of the top players in the league, then you can plug holes. If your going to lose let your young guys play, look for a diamond in the ruff.

46 minutes ago, Tazor Face said:

We made the playoffs by default, we haven't won a meaningful game in 18 years, the reset button should have been pushed long ago and it should be pressed untill they have a QB to build around. We've spent years signing mid level fee agents only to be able to beat bad teams and usually still be below average, we need to beanke to draft and keep some of the top players in the league, then you can plug holes. If your going to lose let your young guys play, look for a diamond in the ruff.

The @Atl and @Kc wins are good wins