Sully: On Second Thought, the Buffalo Bills Really ARE That Bad

Rico

Just now, joesixpack said:

No, I'm really not. I'm trying to understand what you expected beane to do in the burn year?

That's what this is. The burn year. He wasn't gonna go out there and sign a bunch of big name guys. Look, I'll grant you that whaley was a good dumpster-diver. But that's ALL he did well. His drafts were abortion status, his inability to work with Marrone was legendary. His cap management, well that was kinda like the Hindenburg.

He's had ONE offseason. And that one offseason is the burn year, again.

If it's the burn year why sign Davis and Star and Murphy? All overpaid BTW.

Whaley also has a history of taking corners and making them play Safety. Aaron Williams, Duke Williams, Corey Graham.

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Sully does make the scary comparison to the Hank Bullough days. I remember those days and they were embarrassingly bad!

I remember those days too. I don't think we are that bad yet. This team can pull itself together and win some games. Thanks for posting. It's good to know there is still some of the old timers around.

12 minutes ago, Don Beebe said:

I remember those days too. I don't think we are that bad yet. This team can pull itself together and win some games. Thanks for posting. It's good to know there is still some of the old timers around.

the game has changed a lot since then, and the 2018 Bills are just as far behind the best teams as they were for the Bullough era

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the game has changed a lot since then, and the 2018 Bills are just as far behind the best teams as they were for the Bullough era

I am more optimistic than you. The Bullough era was really bad. I am going to give this team the rest of the year before I put them in that class. But I admit this start is pretty bad.

1 hour ago, Don Beebe said:

I am more optimistic than you. The Bullough era was really bad. I am going to give this team the rest of the year before I put them in that class. But I admit this start is pretty bad.

the best i can think of is the Bills get us a back door cover on that 16.5 spread in Minny

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Don Beebe said:

Strangely I can remember the game that got Bullough finally fired in 1986 at Tampa. I had to look it up to confirm on Wikipedia, but my memory of that season and that particular game was that Kelly was the shining star on a really bad team. I can remember him at his gunslinging best, fighting right to the end when the Bills fell just slightly short. For whatever reason,  maybe because it was such a tough loss, Ralph had had enough and fired Bullough. Then the next week, Marv Levy started his era with the Bills, mid season!!  Here is an epic YouTube video of that horrendous season!!

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Did it really? That's revisionist history at its finest.

2015 was the "HEY LETS JUST PAY PEOPLE A WHOLE SHITLOAD OF MONEY WHO DON'T DESERVE IT AND LET THEM BE COACHED BY REX" year.

Some direction, that.

That's pretty revisionist yourself, Joe. 

2014 was the year our D was #4 in the league. 

2015 was let's bring in talent to improve the offense to top-third and we'll be in the playoffs. 

They tried to find a QB taking 3 shots - bring in a FA vet who had had some success, a dark-horse 2nd tier FA, and a 3rd year former 1st round pick.  They brought in a  OC who went to the Superbowl and 2 conf. championships after reclaiming a former 1st round bust (Smith) and a "meh" 2nd round pick.  They followed his recipe of having a run-heavy offense and a dual-threat QB.  4 of our 6 draft picks contributed that year.

In case you don't recall, it worked as far as the offensive face lift went - the offense was top 10 or close on points and if the defense had held up its end, playoffs were plausible.

It failed because Rex proved incompetent at maintaining the play quality on D and to have overall checked-out on head coaching, and after that the whole thing collapsed in a morass of D-centered rebuilding.

For those who like TBD Trivia, 20 September 2015 was the day I converted from "Hopeful" to "Hapless Bills Fan".  We played the Pats and just looked like buffoons in all 3 game phases. 

People were asking me after last season when I would convert back and I'm like, "Imma wait some and see, Thanks"

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's pretty revisionist, Joe. 

2014 was the year our D was #4 in the league. 

2015 was let's bring in talent to improve the offense to top-third and we'll be in the playoffs. 

They tried to find a QB taking 3 shots - bring in a FA vet who had had some success, a dark-horse 2nd tier FA, and a 3rd year former 1st round pick.  They brought in a  OC who went to the Superbowl and 2 conf. championships after reclaiming a former 1st round bust (Smith) and a "meh" 2nd round pick.  They followed his recipe of having a run-heavy offense and a dual-threat QB.  4 of our 6 draft picks contributed that year.

In case you don't recall, it worked as far as the offensive face lift went - the offense was top 10 or close on points and if the defense had held up its end, playoffs were plausible.

It failed because Rex proved incompetent at maintaining the play quality on D and to have overall checked-out on head coaching, and after that the whole thing collapsed in a morass of D-centered rebuilding.

It also failed because their three choices for WB were pretty much junk.

edit: and even with their plan could you plausibly argue they were building a super bowl champion?

Edited by joesixpack

24 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Strangely I can remember the game that got Bullough finally fired in 1986 at Tampa. I had to look it up to confirm on Wikipedia, but my memory of that season and that particular game was that Kelly was the shining star on a really bad team. I can remember him at his gunslinging best, fighting right to the end when the Bills fell just slightly short. For whatever reason,  maybe because it was such a tough loss, Ralph had had enough and fired Bullough. Then the next week, Marv Levy started his era with the Bills, mid season!!  Here is an epic YouTube video of that horrendous season!!

Thanks for a really great post. Boy did that bring back memories. I remember those games but watching those highlights brought everything back. It was great. Those clips should be required watching for the Bills team and all Bills fans this week.