[Vague Title] The future is ok

Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You might say that Davis 'retiring' is a non-story, but I think there is an underlying problem here.  It appears that veterans are quitting on, or being released from, this team after only two weeks. It'll be interesting to see if this continues.  I'm not sure exactly what to make of it.  On the one hand, it could be selfish on the part of the players, and on the other hand it might be that they see no future with the present leadership of the Bills organization.

I think Vontae Davis retiring is a Vontae Davis issue, not a team issue.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

How do you start a rookie QB behind a line so bad that they don't even understand their blocking responsibilities. A few times today I watched the O linemen and TE, RB completely whiff on blocks. In one case the supposedly good LT chose to block the DT which left the edge rushing in Ingram come completely free, untouched. Meanwhile Ducasse was blocking air because his man was taken.

I actually didn't think the pass blocking was terrible today. It could be better and they had a few too many missed assignments. But that's most offensive lines in the NFL. I think we are just below average. There were a lot of plays where he had plenty of time in the pocket.

21 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Thanks for posting, Kirby.  I always enjoy your insights and your posts are one of the reasons I keep coming back here.  It's weird how just because you can see something positive...some potential...some people have to go into attack mode.  And for those who would suggest you are a kool-aid drinker, I would say that I have a distinct memory of you visiting training camp....sometime over the last few years....and watching the quarterbacks and reporting: none of these guys can play.  Maybe it was last year?  not sure....but I'm pretty sure that was you.

Love your insights and sources....so please keep it up.

It’s funny some say “you are so negative” and then others yell “quit drinking the kool-aid.” I always think that this place is at its best when people have honest debate. It isn’t always going to be sunshine and rainbows or doom and gloom. It’s somewhere in the middle. We aren’t good now but there are some things that make you feel that the future is going to be bright. It’s certainly early but we may have the QB (and he wasn’t my choice). He has a ways to go but today was a positive to me in terms of Allen.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I think Vontae Davis retiring is a Vontae Davis issue, not a team issue.

Thanks. As I said, I’m not sure what to make of it. But I am sure that this isn’t good for management.  Are they that far removed from what’s going on in the minds of their players? It’s only Week Two!

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s funny some say “you are so negative” and then others yell “quit drinking the look-aid.” I always think that this place is at its best when people have honest debate. It isn’t always going to be sunshine and rainbows or doom and gloom. It’s somewhere in the middle. We aren’t good now but there are some things that make you feel that the future is going to be bright. It’s certainly early but we may have the QB (and he wasn’t my choice). He has a ways to go but today was a positive to me in terms of Allen.

Last year I said the rams were who we hoped to be in 2 years. One might say handing those picks/$$ to a young innovative and offensive minded head coach that can use both allen and Edmonds/Tre would be a real possibility for how to take the next steps without abandoning course 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I actually didn't think the pass blocking was terrible today. It could be better and they had a few too many missed assignments. But that's most offensive lines in the NFL. I think we are just below average. There were a lot of plays where he had plenty of time in the pocket.

Allen was sacked 5 times today and Bosa didn't play. Nobody on Buffalo's side could effectually block Ingram. Bills QB's were sacked 6 times against the Ravens. 

The Bills team rushed 22 times for 84 yards, a 3.8 YPA and the only reason that doesn't look so bad is because McCoy broke free for a 27 yard run...once! 

Yes, this FO chose the right QB and as the announcer stated he should have been selected #1 overall. It does nothing for the future should this rookie QB not survive this year behind one of the very worst Buffalo Bills offensive line I've ever witnessed. 

Another worry is how bad the defense currently is with a CB retiring in the middle of a game. Someone screwed up bigtime with that acquisition. 

You might say that Davis 'retiring' is a non-story, but I think there is an underlying problem here.  It appears that veterans are quitting on, or being released from, this team after only two weeks. It'll be interesting to see if this continues.  I'm not sure exactly what to make of it.  On the one hand, it could be selfish on the part of the players, and on the other hand it might be that they see no future with the present leadership of the Bills organization.

Kyle looked pissed and disrespected. He's the fire and he will keep the house in order. Vontae is a non-story. His body gave out. KB got his TD and a glimmer of hope for the offense. I look for him to step up and not be a quitter.

There ya go Kirby...keep making lemonade out of those lemons!  So your 'deep throat' source somehow knew BEFORE the final cuts, that one of their starting CBs was going to quit?  Yeah right?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Actually it was already posted in the other thread that this was know with the screen shots to back it up.

The halftime piece was a surprise, but I think the Bills and Vontae knew which is why he sat week 1 and is not for injuries would have probably sat today.  They are trying to get a replacement up to speed.

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Allen was sacked 5 times today and Bosa didn't play. Nobody on Buffalo's side could effectually block Ingram. Bills QB's were sacked 6 times against the Ravens. 

Allen caused a couple of those sacks himself, not that I expect him to be a savvy veteran at this point. I'm not saying it's great blocking, we clearly need to upgrade every position to the right of Dawkins. But it is sufficient enough to let Allen develop and evaluate him. The much bigger concern IMO is the receiving corps. Allen needs receivers that can win contested catches and I'm not sure we have a single one.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Allen caused a couple of those sacks himself, not that I expect him to be a savvy veteran at this point. I'm not saying it's great blocking, we clearly need to upgrade every position to the right of Dawkins. But it is sufficient enough to let Allen develop and evaluate him. The much bigger concern IMO is the receiving corps. Allen needs receivers that can win contested catches and I'm not sure we have a single one.

He avoided more than he caused. 

That was a seven or eight sack game for most QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Kirby, you really have to let it go.  The point I was making was NOT about your credibility!  It was about the fact that apparently the COACHES were not aware.  Got it?

"Let it go!" says guy on internet who has no intention of letting it go.

Does your boss know when the guy who sits next to you is interviewing? 

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He avoided more than he caused. 

That was a seven or eight sack game for most QBs. 

That's a fair point. But there were plays where he had time and still didn't throw the ball, because the receivers weren't getting open even with time. It's mind numbing to tune to the Red Zone channel and see a bunch of circus catches all across the league, and in this game I think our most impressive catch was the fullback. Just about every throw in our offense is a tight window throw.

58 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Optimism?

You don't think Allen has the goods? I think clearly he does. They will fill holes next offseason and we'll compete. I'm very optimistic.

I think it's irrelevant whether Allen has the goods or not.  I think he's been set up to fail because McDermott and Beane are going to "fill holes next offseason" with the same kind of trash they've filled them with this past off season because they can't evaluate talent, are clueless when it comes to cap management, and are philosophically  stuck in the 1970s.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

That's a fair point. But there were plays where he had time and still didn't throw the ball, because the receivers weren't getting open even with time. It's mind numbing to tune to the Red Zone channel and see a bunch of circus catches all across the league, and in this game I think our most impressive catch was the fullback. Just about every throw in our offense is a tight window throw.

Yep. I said this elsewhere but I think maybe we just have to look at him differently than we would anyone else. Take the bad with the good and don't get pissed at him for taking too many sacks IF, and it's a big if, he is making first downs and keeping drives going and scoring points. He didn't do that today. He held it too long too many times. He missed too many throws. But a 20 harder is nothing to him. 3rd and 16 is the same as third and 9. It's okay if he stands in there too long sometimes because he stands in there too long sometimes and then delivers strikes. We all want to accept all the good plays he makes when he waits and waits and then criticize him for the ones that don't work. As if in his first game he is supposed to make the right decision on the rush, with the worst line and worst WR in the league, 90% of the time. 

16 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think it's irrelevant whether Allen has the goods or not.  I think he's been set up to fail because McDermott and Beane are going to "fill holes next offseason" with the same kind of trash they've filled them with this past off season because they can't evaluate talent, are clueless when it comes to cap management, and are philosophically  stuck in the 1970s.

Time will tell. I stand by Allen being the guy, however.

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know that it is. Like I said, Bosa, their best pass rusher didn't play today and I can't imagine the havoc that he would have caused with both him and Ingram playing. 

In two games Bills QBs have been sacked 11 times. In Peyton Manning's rookie season he survived because he was sacked only 22 times all season.

And yes, a lot might have to do with how bad the Bills receiver corps currently is. Was Corey Coleman that bad that the team trades a draft pick for him, signs him for $$ when the team is strapped. Then cuts him while keeping Kerley...only to cut him too. Lots of mistakes with players and free agents this offseason.