[Vague Title] The future is ok

Kirby Jackson

22 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Time will tell. I stand by Allen being the guy, however.

I'm not sure that you got my point.  I'm not knocking Allen at all. I like Allen, although I didn't like the pick originally.  I think he's played really well given his inexperience and the putrid team around him. 

My point is that I don't think that Allen can be successful with the talent level around him, and I don't believe that McDermott and Beane will bring in the talent to help him.  They suck at talent evaluation on both sides of the ball.  They suck at just about every aspect of personnel management.  They apparently don't understand offensive football, and haven't shown much interest in improving the offense as evidenced by drafting only 1 OLer (late in the 5th round) and replacing Wood and Incognito with bottom feeder FAs who wouldn't be starters on any other NFL team if either even made another NFL roster.  Their attitude seems to be that Allen sinks or swims with whatever trash they put around him, and that's setting up Allen -- or any QB -- to struggle with no protection and no targets.

I think the 3rd Quarter of the game was the first time this season we have looked like an NFL standard competitive football team. So there is something to build on there. 

It was a real mixed bag from Allen on debut but that is pretty much to be expected. I don't mind the picks - we will live with those - it is better than him playing scared to make a mistake. Still some very questionable accuracy on a number of his throws but he made some nice plays too and the supporting cast is still pretty horrible. 

Tremaine Edmunds is a bit more of a worry in that he is taking bad angles too often which was an issue on his 2016 college tape. He cleaned it up a lot in 2017 but it looks to me as though calling the defense is a bit much for him at this stage and it is affecting his own game and his attention to his own fundamentals. Bit of a bandwidth overload for him I fear. 

The biggest positive is that Tre White is still a star. The Chargers hardly threw at him and when they did he made plays. He might be the best player on this football team at the moment. Last year's other young guys.... Dawkins and Milano have been pretty inconsistent through 2 games, Zay looks the same Zay. Harrison Phillips had a decent game yesterday. 

They are the guys that matter, they are the guys that this regime has hooked their wagon to and they are the guys that if we are going to turn this thing around in 2019 (I'm starting to think 2020 might actually be the "show me the baby" year) are going to have to play their part.

So my response to Kirby would be - the future could be okay, and there are reasons to be encouraged from the second half yesterday. But there is still a long way to go.  It is also fair to say that the people saying their 2018 Free Agent class sucks are absolutely right. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My biggest concerns revolve around getting better protection for Allen, and the potential consequences of not doing so. And by that I mean for this season.

I felt there were a number of throws where his 'inaccuracy' reared it's ugly head. Thing is, I thought it was pretty much down to footwork under pressure. I find that worrying, as given time and a platform, largely his throws were accurate enough. I don't want to see him running for his life, and reverting to bad habits.

The one thing I will say however, is that even when he doesn't get his footwork right, he's still trying to make a play - moreso than any other QB we've had since Fitz. This, to me, even when under an awful lot of pressure, is a major positive.

But the kid needs to be helped with better protection, and it needs to happen this season, not next.

Time for Beane and his scouting departments, to earn their money, and find guys who can come in and help with that.

9 minutes ago, Buddo said:

My biggest concerns revolve around getting better protection for Allen, and the potential consequences of not doing so. And by that I mean for this season.

I felt there were a number of throws where his 'inaccuracy' reared it's ugly head. Thing is, I thought it was pretty much down to footwork under pressure. I find that worrying, as given time and a platform, largely his throws were accurate enough. I don't want to see him running for his life, and reverting to bad habits.

The one thing I will say however, is that even when he doesn't get his footwork right, he's still trying to make a play - moreso than any other QB we've had since Fitz. This, to me, even when under an awful lot of pressure, is a major positive.

But the kid needs to be helped with better protection, and it needs to happen this season, not next.

Time for Beane and his scouting departments, to earn their money, and find guys who can come in and help with that.

Think it is a legitimate concern. A bit like what I have said with Edmunds where asking him to call the defense means he seems to have forgotten some of the improvements he made to his fundamentals - particularly tackling angles - there is a risk that Allen in trying to make positive plays with poor protection forgets some of the improvements to his fundamentals that he worked hard with Palmer on. My confidence that there are many guys out there who are both available and can help now though in terms of OL is pretty low. The only guys that tend to come available in-season are older (30+) guys on big contracts with teams who are out of the race already - see Duane Brown going from Houston to Seattle last year at the trade deadline. Then the question is whether the Bills want to / are willing to take those things on.

19 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Allen caused a couple of those sacks himself, not that I expect him to be a savvy veteran at this point. I'm not saying it's great blocking, we clearly need to upgrade every position to the right of Dawkins. But it is sufficient enough to let Allen develop and evaluate him. The much bigger concern IMO is the receiving corps. Allen needs receivers that can win contested catches and I'm not sure we have a single one.

Just to underscore what I'm saying here this tweet from Mike Rodak is interesting:

I take that to mean QB mistakes and coverage sacks.

54 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Just to underscore what I'm saying here this tweet from Mike Rodak is interesting:

Two blitz sacks yesterday were definitely on Josh. Got to identify and get to his hots and get the ball out and he had a chance to on both plays one to Shady would have been a big gain.

I mean that is not unusual 1st start and all. But it is an area he needs to improve. 

Edited by GunnerBill

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Two blitz sacks yesterday were definitely on Josh. Got to identify and get to his hots and get the ball out and he had a chance to on both plays one to Shady would have been a big gain.

That is what I saw, two of the sacks were on him, three were on the OL and he had no chance.

However, he houdinied 3-4 other most-likely-sacks because he is elusive, strong, and surprisingly nimble for his size.

I remember saying last year, be careful what you hope for getting rid of Tyrod because he masked the fact that the line was awful in pass protection, and that was with Wood and Richie. We saw what a guy who can't handle the rush was like last week in the first half. Josh, too, masks glaring deficiencies.

21 hours ago, SoTier said:

I'm not sure that you got my point.  I'm not knocking Allen at all. I like Allen, although I didn't like the pick originally.  I think he's played really well given his inexperience and the putrid team around him. 

My point is that I don't think that Allen can be successful with the talent level around him, and I don't believe that McDermott and Beane will bring in the talent to help him.  They suck at talent evaluation on both sides of the ball.  They suck at just about every aspect of personnel management.  They apparently don't understand offensive football, and haven't shown much interest in improving the offense as evidenced by drafting only 1 OLer (late in the 5th round) and replacing Wood and Incognito with bottom feeder FAs who wouldn't be starters on any other NFL team if either even made another NFL roster.  Their attitude seems to be that Allen sinks or swims with whatever trash they put around him, and that's setting up Allen -- or any QB -- to struggle with no protection and no targets.

I gotcha. I have faith they'll improve this roster exponentially come next year. 

They know where we need help. It's coming. :beer:

On 9/16/2018 at 10:43 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m sorry Hap but “The future is ok” pretty much says exactly what I’m trying to convey. If you want to close it go ahead but the title is what I’m trying to get across.

The future is ok for the Buffalo Bills 

The rest can go to **** 

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I have to agree with him.    it seems like Josh is looking for the perfect scenario and waiting too long. 

On 9/16/2018 at 8:07 PM, SoCal Deek said:

You might say that Davis 'retiring' is a non-story, but I think there is an underlying problem here.  It appears that veterans are quitting on, or being released from, this team after only two weeks. It'll be interesting to see if this continues.  I'm not sure exactly what to make of it.  On the one hand, it could be selfish on the part of the players, and on the other hand it might be that they see no future with the present leadership of the Bills organization.

Im thinking Vontae was getting embarrassed, he wasn't good in the last off-season and he was beat for a TD in the game. Washed up. Or maybe buffalo has been a safe haven for overpaid slugs for so long and McDermott doest put up with it, it's not that attractive destination to stay..Some of these players where also used to Rex Ryan's country mentallity.

Edited by Tazor Face

On 9/16/2018 at 5:02 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Secondly, Vontae Davis retiring at halftime is the most overblown story of the year. He was a CB that was done, making $5M a year.

The Bills aren’t going to be good. Those people that thought .500 was in the cards need to get realistic. At the same time, they showed some progress today and may have found the most important position in sports. If they give him some players we can be good again by as soon as next year. I walked out of today with an optimism that I haven’t had in a long time. 

Trust the Progress

Can't say it enough. Vontae Davis should've never been signed and for that much money, too.

This season was only ever going to be .500 at best - and with late offseason departures from our OL, that ceiling only lowered. We were just hopeful that the years of purgatory were over and that we would have other topics to discuss by this point in the season. It was never a chance for a repeat playoff push, but a setup for the future. It's all uncertain still, yet fully optimistic for where our two QBs are taking us, and how they will develop. But agreed, let's bring in some real young talent through next years draft, patch up holes with key FA signings and get this team going.

All the teams people are whining about being good now had 4-5 top ten draft picks the past five years while we appeased our fanbase on the way to 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 mediocrity. This is the result you get from this strategy. The hilarity of this all being, I don't feel sorry for the cap space issues each of those teams will end up facing should they choose to retain all the talent that's currently helping them right the ship.

Edited by ctk232

The thing that scares me is this regime has demonstrated no ability to bring in guys that could actually play.  It seems like they are more interested in bringing in guys they are familiar with(Benjamin/Star).  What they have given Allen to work with on offense is an absolute disgrace.  You just don't put a young QB or any QB for that matter in this kind of situation.  Our offensive line is the worst in the league & our receiving core is the worst receiving core I have ever seen on an NFL roster.  I am not confident that these two clowns could nail the drafts the next two years which is what it is going to take in order for this franchise to be competitive.   There is rebuilding, but what these guys are doing is asinine.  They got rid of some good young players & this cap hell that I keep hearing about is mostly from their own doing.  

• Thank you (+1) 1