Is Doug Marrone a better coach than Sean McDermott?

BringBackOrton

Who is the better coach in the NFL?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better coach in the NFL?

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hackett?   Really?  I get the Marrone comment, I liked him too until he quit.  But Hackett was literally the worst OC I had ever seen while he was with the Bills.  Guy was a complete moron and out smarted himself time after time.  3rd and 1 would throw deep...3rd and 9 would run a draw or short pass.  Guy was a moron and couldn't call his way out of a paper bag while he was here.  

NOTE:  Doesn't mean he didn't learn and get better since, only commenting on the quality of job he did with the Bills, he was utterly the OC I have hated the most in my lifetime.  

Passing on third and one is common place in the league. Hackett was a visionary saddled with the second worst QB in this Bills millennium.

19 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Oh for Gods sake! 

Give McD a chance to run that D with his knowledge on defense. 

Marrone is a good coach but he got handed 2 face cards showing and McD got pocket 4’s.

If Marrone was so great why did he sit on a pile of crap waiting for a HC interview when he was available?

Remember he had to settle for the O line coach position in Jax before he got the HC gig by default.

Yes, had to settle with a whole year of head coach money in his pocket. 

He wasn't sure what direction the franchise was going. He wanted job security ala a contract extension. The Pegulas wouldn't give it to him, so he exercised his clause walking away with $4 million in his pocket, and a mind set he would land the Jets job. 

Not sure if that is 100% accurate,but I feel like that it close to what went down. 

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

He wasn't sure what direction the franchise was going. He wanted job security ala a contract extension. The Pegulas wouldn't give it to him, so he exercised his clause walking away with $4 million in his pocket, and a mind set he would land the Jets job. 

Not sure if that is 100% accurate,but I feel like that it close to what went down. 

Not exactly. Pegulas were working on an extension. He had only a few days left to exercise his out clause ( built into his contract due to Ralph’s age probably). Marrone rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but he’s a good coach. He knew Brandon / Whaley wielded a lot of power in the organization and was concerned about which side would win that struggle. His agent told him he was the top candidate for the Jets job, and the out clause gave Marrone a rare opportunity to collect a HC paycheck from two franchises in the same year. (Double dipping in any other circumstance is generally against the rules, with the previous team only on the hook for the difference in salary. ) So he took it. By all accounts the Pegulas approved of the job Marrone did as HC of the Bills. 

Not sure he’s making the Jags look like serious contenders. They have a decent offense and a pretty stout defense. I’m nowhere near sold as them being a contender. Fragile running back, Bortles is still Bortles, and a young inexperienced receiver core. 

Not sure they stack up when games really start meaning more 

6 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

...here is what I know and no way I would post it if speculation.....does me or TBD brethren NO value....Marrone preached culture change in his interview with Brandon and followed up almost daily with phone calls to see the status of his hiring......need for culture change was pretty evident (looks like McD followed the same path)......thus Marrone was hired....he came in with a dictatorial "General Patton like approach"......restaurant in Fairport NY was 20 minutes late in being ready for a brass/coaching staff dinner after camp.....he tweaked and forced all to make up the coveted 20 minutes so they could get back to St John Fisher for team meetings, lasting until 9 or 10PM nightly......he wanted Brandon and Whaley present for EVERY meeting and they got sick of the routine.......thus the dynamic duo turned against him and he knew it would be an uphill battle....Pegula DID offer him a 4 year, $!9.6 million dollar extension while in Boca for the Christmas holidays...Marrone said, "I'll get back to you" but he did not. Terry called him and Marrone claimed to be shopping for his wife's Christmas present and again said, "I'll get back to you". Next step was his resignation. Brandon was already in Florida for the holidays so Pegula summoned Whaley. They met at TP's residence on New Year's Eve until 8 or 9PM discussing options. Pegula was stuck between a rock and a hard place, forced to keep Whaley and Brandon who were both under contract. To cut them BOTH loose at that juncture and having NO HC would have been organizational chaos supreme. So Doug exercised his $4 mil out clause and ran to the bank. Sound far fetched? How the hell could I make THIS SOAP OPERA up?....

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah Doug Marrone can get production out of Dareus. I don't care if somebody is a lazy good for nothing squander of immense talent, that probably smokes weed too much and talks back to his coach.. if he's talented.

LAWRENCE TAYLOR WOULDN'T BE A PROCESS PLAYER. You know what that tells me, McD is too chicken**** to do a large portion of his job description (motivating spoiled brats with money to play football) that he gives up and gives the character excuse. 

I:d take a coach that can get a cracked out 3 nights sleepless LT to be a monster and get 7 sacks over a coach that's too scared of one of the best players ever.

Beane takes the easy way out by claiming he has a process 5-6 years so he has a rats *** of retaining his job. McD takes the easy way out refusing to work with difficult talent. Andre Holmes must spend his free time saving puppies to justify his spot. I'm sure he's really "coachable" but he's a crap receiver. McD would be terrified of Randy Moss. Rebuilding a team on character isn't what a good team does. They rebuild on players that regardless of what they do in their free time; they can be motivated by a good coach to beat ass on Sunday and cocaine binge to celebrate.

If production is 3 tackles from an alleged all pro, ok I guess that’s impressive. I watched the whole game yesterday and I wasn’t sure he was dressed to play...

20 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

If production is 3 tackles from an alleged all pro, ok I guess that’s impressive. I watched the whole game yesterday and I wasn’t sure he was dressed to play...

Yeah I'm honestly not even following Dareus at all with the Jags. I don't even know who they have in the trenches tbh. They do have Calais Campbell correct? Big fan. 

Anyways I have to imagine Marrone is working on Dareus. Probably knows Dareus in his next contract year will be a new animal. Not sure when that'll be, but good lord if that happens, that defense could be elite at literally every position. If not, no biggie, he's out. I'd also argue Marrone a strong enough coach not to let some primadonna DT with a poor attitude affects how the defense plays. 

I just think that sort of confidence and bringing in a underperforming primadonna talented player is worth something given that the Jaguars defense is Studley regardless.

I realize this is a really stupid argument to make but I think it's sort of shows that Marone can deal with Jalen Ramsey type players while I feel like McDermott would trade him away following his preseason stupidity

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah I'm honestly not even following Dareus at all with the Jags. I don't even know who they have in the trenches tbh. They do have Calais Campbell correct? Big fan. 

Anyways I have to imagine Marrone is working on Dareus. Probably knows Dareus in his next contract year will be a new animal. Not sure when that'll be, but good lord if that happens, that defense could be elite at literally every position. If not, no biggie, he's out. I'd also argue Marrone a strong enough coach not to let some primadonna DT with a poor attitude affects how the defense plays. 

I just think that sort of confidence and bringing in a underperforming primadonna talented player is worth something given that the Jaguars defense is Studley regardless.

I realize this is a really stupid argument to make but I think it's sort of shows that Marone can deal with Jalen Ramsey type players while I feel like McDermott would trade him away following his preseason stupidity

You may be right, I think they get (Beane and Mc) one more year with a lot of picks and real cap money before I fully judge them. I will admit I don’t fully understand the moves they made unless they truly wanted a top 3 or even a top pick. But the cupboard is so bare, one year isn’t going to solve it...

7 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Well maybe the difference was guy who is out of the league playing QB vs. Bortles.

That's a piece, no doubt about it, but from a distance I think that the guy has grown into the role.

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

young Hackett versus old Hackett no? 

Also (as I mentioned)  the Jags offense wasn't good until they brought Coughlin aboard 

Hackett sure got high praise from Buerlein (sp?) yesterday fwtw.  Can't discount Coughlin...I not so secretly wanted the Pegs to bring him on board.

10 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

You may be right, I think they get (Beane and Mc) one more year with a lot of picks and real cap money before I fully judge them. I will admit I don’t fully understand the moves they made unless they truly wanted a top 3 or even a top pick. But the cupboard is so bare, one year isn’t going to solve it...

Haha I didn't expect anybody to remotely agree with what I just said. I'll supplement that with we don't know who's pushing the character narrative and essentially eliminating a chunk of the NFL talent pool. Might not all be McD. But we and more importantly our GMs and coaches have to admit there's not that much special NFL talent to go around. The kind of NFL talent to get you across the finish line in February. You can't limit that pool of talent to your definition of what makes a team. You need to be willing to try to get talent to buy in. Bet on yourself to lead the lockerroom.

We call Belicheck a genius right? He had the guts to take a malcontent Randy Moss nobody else wanted and had the coaching talent to have him buy in and lo and behold he formed one of the greatest offenses ever. Beli does that all the time. He just signed Josh Gordon. He got Haynesworth. He's in control of the locker room and has the guts to see if these guys can get him to the finish line. Haynesworth doesn't work out.. who cares. Beli didn't let (or even consider) Albert to wreck the lockerroom with bad attitude. Cause he knew he wouldn't let it happen.

And I'll just say McDermott did a fantastic job motivating his team into the playoffs with Whaley's scraps. I think he's got that coaching talent in him. I just want to see him with a good roster before we write him off. Because he's not making the roster. Hell by all appearances him and Whaley were a great pair getting Tre White and garbage pile searching for a pair of safeties in Hyde and Poyer. Add in the fact that he's a great defensive mind and WE COULD USE A NFL OFFENSE NOT RANKED 32ND BEANE. and McD could have success on a defensively oriented team.