Is Doug Marrone a better coach than Sean McDermott?

BringBackOrton

Who is the better coach in the NFL?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better coach in the NFL?

Yes, Marrone is better IMO.  His personality sucks, but faith based McClappity doesn't have the greatest personality either.

Marrone was smart enough to see that Whaley + Brandon = **** show  He was smart to get the hell out, look at him now!

Edited by PeterDude

24 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I've said it a hundred times that I don't blame Marrone for leaving. No good HC would work with Russ and Whaley pulling the strings. If the Pegula's would have cleaned house and fired everyone from the failed Wilson era I believe Marrone would still be the HC right now.

Maybe, personally I would have gone the Whaley/Schwartz route though. The Rex thing was Really asinine

2 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Wtf

It's obviously heavily satirical man. We have a guy that I'm positive would have traded Randy Moss in his prime for a can of beans when he got control of the roster.

Like it or not but much of a coaches job is to babysit talented players that have been treated like royalty their entire football careers. Marrone does that. McD doesn't.

McD would have traded Jalen Ramsay by now.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PeterDude said:

Yes, Marrone is better IMO.  His personality sucks, but faith based McClappity doesn't have the greatest personality either.

what's a McClappity?

you've been doing a fine job trolling this board since you signed up with your new account. 

as for the topic at hand. at his point, yes Marrone is a better HC then McDermott based on his tenure. he has what looks to be a complete team to work with as far as talent and that team dominated brady boy and the patsies yesterday and look to be the team to beat in the AFC.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Like it or not but much of a coaches job is to babysit talented players that have been treated like royalty their entire football careers. Marrone does that. McD doesn't.

I agree.  I do not think what McDermott is doing is the right approach.  This is why the faith based part of it annoys me to no end.  He only wants a certain type of person (like religions) so they will follow the pied piper (like religions) without too many questions (like religions).  You win in this league with talent, not religion.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

I agree.  I do not think what McDermott is doing is the right approach.  This is why the faith based part of it annoys me to no end.  He only wants a certain type of person (like religions) so they will follow the pied piper (like religions) without too many questions (like religions).  You win in this league with talent, not religion.

My god, the way you put it makes it sound infinitely worse hahaha. Well put sir.

Guy's let's just admit it. We're scumbag fans for not being entertained by Sunday blowouts. We are the worst fans ever. We can't even trust the process. It's time for each and every one of us to take long hard look in the mirror.

12 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

I think your issue is more with religion than McDermott. 

Just now, rodneykm said:

I think your issue is more with religion than McDermott. 

it's an exaggeration. He's making the point that McDermott is too invested in character (as he signs Vontae Davis lol). The criticisms aren't supposed to be taken literally, they're a form of argument to establish a point.

Just now, PeterDude said:

From what I can tell, it is a big part of his decision making process.  I think that is a problem when it comes to building a winning team.  

^ I'm speaking for you but I don't think he's literally roster building with Baptist Christians haha.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

it's an exaggeration. He's making the point that McDermott is too invested in character (as he signs Vontae Davis lol). The criticisms aren't supposed to be taken literally, they're a form of argument to establish a point.

If signing Vontae Davis is a lol to you ( character issues I take it ), then doesn't that go against the notion that he's "too invested in character" argument? 

1 minute ago, rodneykm said:

If signing Vontae Davis is a lol to you ( character issues I take it ), then doesn't that go against the notion that he's "too invested in character" argument? 

I think it shows he's not good at evaluating character for a guy so invested in character. So he's not even being good at getting high character guys.

I don't think Watkins would retire at halftime week 2, but that's just me. He didn't fit the process though, but Vontae did!

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

3 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

I don't recall Davis having a reputation as a bad character player, quite the opposite from my memory.  The fact that he quit on McDermott I think says a lot more about McDermott and his process than it does about Davis.

Davis saw the tire fire/train wreck from the inside.  Seems like he decided he didn't want his career to end like that...

OR

McDermott totally mis-evaluated Davis' character.  Not sure which scenario is worse.  Forgoing talented players for high character and then whiffing on the high character part.

Edited by PeterDude

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I think it shows he's not good at evaluating character for a guy so invested in character. So he's not even being good at getting high character guys.

My point is the assumption, and thats exactly what it is, that his primary focus is on high character guys is not really backed by much more than a few comments here and there. 

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm sure if McDermott had that defense, he would look good as well.  That is by far, the best defense in the league

That's true he would. But at the same token I'm sure he would have traded Jalen Ramsay, and *ahem* we're pretty sure we know what he'd do with Dareus. So he wouldn't have the best defense in the league. Because he's a "my way or the highway" kind of coach.

15 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

I don't recall Davis having a reputation as a bad character player, quite the opposite from my memory.  The fact that he quit on McDermott I think says a lot more about McDermott and his process than it does about Davis.

Davis saw the tire fire/train wreck from the inside.  Seems like he decided he didn't want his career to end like that...

Just like Boldin, who is an extremely well respected guy around the league.  Saw this regime up close and got the heck out of town.

Richie is Richie, but in the last 13 months there have been 3 long time NFL vets who quit on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

St. Doug showed potential in Buffalo. He stuck to his guns and left a team he felt he couldn't be successful working for. He took a lesser position on another team ended up being HC again and you can't argue with the results so far. I would say that Doug definitely has a place in the NFL as a HC. I would predict his seat is safe for awhile and when it's not other seats will be available for him. 

Sean McDermott is another first time HC  just like Doug was when he started. The team held about the same record but managed to break the drought.

I can't answer the question. It's easy to hate on Sean McDermott because of how the team looks right now. I'm definitely dissapointed in the defense considering that's his specialty and that is where the rescources went. 

Sean Definitely isn't as established as Doug is at the moment. I don't think he has proven he has earned a seat in the NFL as a HC yet. I believe in Sean McDermott still. I'll let a bad season slide. Especially if Josh Allen can develop in the mess.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Especially if Josh Allen can develop in the mess.

It's hard to trust the coaches McDermott has surrounded Allen with.  If Allen develops it's almost like he has to figure it out himself, that sounds like a complete opposite approach to say what Mahomes went/is going through.