Reasons Why I Stand By Coach McDermott and GM Beane’s “Process”

BuffaloRush

3 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I kind of understand what you're saying but then not really.  The tear down was last year - they didn't tear down much this past off season beyond Glenn and Tyrod.  They overachieved in year one - with what most would agree a largely baron team of high end talent.  It showed McD's leadership to a degree.  

When you say tear it down in year two, do you mean moving on from Tyrod and drafting a rookie QB?

We have substantially less talent this year than last. We kept Tyrod last year. Tried with veterans like Matthew and EJ Gaines. You didn't look at the team and say we have the very worst line, the very worst WR, the very worst QB, one of the worst LBs corps. 

Edited by Kelly the Dog

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You don't remodel the house the year before you raze it and rebuild from scratch either. 

It wasn't a remodel though. They slapped a coat of paint on it and put the for sale sign up. But you're suggesting they should have traded away the master bedroom and sold all the shingles too. You still have to field a team out there.

Like I said in another post, McBeane did a nice job accumulating draft capital to go out and find their future captains. I think they might have misfired on Allen and Edmunds, and got fleeced in the process. Plan was a good one, execution maybe not. We'll see. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Reason I think he is a plant is the Carolina Connection and the Immediate hire after the draft. And the reports we knew Carolinas board (Zay Jones trade up)

No doubt in my mind that McD leaned more on what he knew in/from Carolina than the soon-to-be-fired, dead-men-walking Whaley & staff. I can't say as to how much Beane was directly, unethically involved.

35 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Oooo ****. I found Mahomes because i TV scouted him. Meaning I WATCHED FOOTBALL

Yeah, I figured you’d dismiss that article.

It wasnt the the only report that credited McDermott with bringing Hyde to Buffalo. 

Even Hyde himself credited Sean McDermott as a big reason he came to buffalo. 

Also, Is it really that hard to believe that a coach (be it a head coach, coordinator etc) watches games on TV to scout teams and players? And is it also that hard to believe that McDermott kept his eyes on certain guys who stood out to him over the years, in case they ever became available? 

There is obviously a big difference between a casual fan watching a game on TV, and an NFL coach video scouting a game on TV. One actually has a say in what players the team he works for signs. Even as a coordinator in Carolina, I am sure McDermott had input on free agents, etc. So he had good reason to “tv scout”.

Edited by BillsFan4

After last season, you could tell this was a rebuild.  Mistakes are made with personnel and hindsight is 20/20.  I wrote off this season and thought 6 wins would be the best bet.  Everyone has a take and I respect that.  It will be interesting to watch the young guys develop.  Next draft will bring in more young talent.  The process is what it is.  The next three months will be interesting.  Side note...this is the earliest in years that I am looking forward to the draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, I figured you’d dismiss that article.

It wasnt the the only report that credited McDermott with bringing Hyde to Buffalo. 

Even Hyde himself credited Sean McDermott as a big reason he came to buffalo. 

Also, Is it really that hard to believe that a coach (be it a head coach, coordinator etc) watches games to scout teams and players? And is it also that hard to believe that McDermott kept his eyes on certain guys who stood out to him over the years, in case they ever became available? 

There is obviously a big difference between a casual fan watching a game on TV, and an NFL coach video scouting a game on TV. One actually has a say in what players the team he works for signs. Even as a coordinator in Carolina, I am sure McDermott had input on free agents, etc. 

Of course he has INPUT. I never said he didnt anywhere. i did say however the scouting reports for that Draft and that UFA period where put together from Whaleys scouting staff. 

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Thats my point. It isnt a plan. If they wanted to get all their guys and blah blah build or whatever 

shady should have been dealt last year. 

Wood dealt last year

Looney Toons dealt last year

Hughes dealt last year. 

Not kick the pain down the road. They should have tore the bandaid all at once. 

Cleveland did it now look at their Talent they have

Then Why was McCoy not dealt last year (will be retired before we are good)

Hughes (same)

Kyle (Same)

Eric (is retired)

Looney Toon ( is retired)

Yes but here is the thing....that is your opinion on how they should do it......its not the only way.

Keep in mind....they did bring a playoff to buffalo for the first time in like 15 years.....ppl were very happy about that......but their were consequences to that.

Its not like this season is completely lost anyway....to me this team has the look of a team that starts off slow and gets better as the season progresses.....the question will be then if the early games did them in but they will look like a team on the rise with 10 draft picks and a boatload of cap space.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We have substantially less talent this year than last. We kept Tyrod last year. Tried with veterans like Matthew and EJ Gaines. You didn't look at the team and say we have the very worst line, the very worst WR, the very worst QB, one of the worst LBs corps. 

I guess I'd answer that by saying I think the loss of talent from the first off season to last year - was greater than the loss of talent this past off season to the start of this season.  I do agree we are less talented than last year but I largely attribute that to Richie and Wood - which wasn't part of the tear down.  

Glenn only started 5 games so essentially we lost Brown and Tyrod of any significance.  

I just don't see how it was a partial tear down, then a continuation of the tear down when I look at who we lost.   I know there's been much much more turnover than that but starting quality speaking....

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

I guess I'd answer that by saying I think the loss of talent from the first off season to last year - was greater than the loss of talent this past off season to the start of this season.  I do agree we are less talented than last year but I largely attribute that to Richie and Wood - which wasn't part of the tear down.  

Glenn only started 5 games so essentially we lost Brown and Tyrod of any significance.  

I just don't see how it was a partial tear down, then a continuation of the tear down when I look at who we lost.   I know there's been much much more turnover than that but starting quality speaking....

If you tear it all down in year one you don't finish 9-7 and get a 21 draft pick and have to use most of your draft capital built up just to get to 7. You're at 7. Which is where  may likely end this year. 

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes but here is the thing....that is your opinion on how they should do it......its not the only way.

Keep in mind....they did bring a playoff to buffalo for the first time in like 15 years.....ppl were very happy about that......but their were consequences to that.

Its not like this season is completely lost anyway....to me this team has the look of a team that starts off slow and gets better as the season progresses.....the question will be then if the early games did them in but they will look like a team on the rise with 10 draft picks and a boatload of cap space.

This season is and always has been the development of Josh Allen to me. 

Trying hard to leave the Process alone. But when I see threads calling out people that have questions about it, you know me I let lose. 

To be honest and I have said this today i enjoyed the game because I saw enough of Josh Allen to want more next week. 

When it comes to acquisitions this year i run it through one question How will this help Allen. I knew what this year was going to be. But that doesnt mean there are mistakes and questions about this FO and Coaching staff. 

For the most part I will leave them alone minus some fun one liners. Until i see threads calling less of a fan if I am not all in on the Process. That didnt fly with TT. Wont fly with McD and Beane. And when I see this years Acquisitions in FA sorry of I dont think that 90M in cap space is going to produce good players that are part of the core 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

This season is and always has been the development of Josh Allen to me. 

Trying hard to leave the Process alone. But when I see threads calling out people that have questions about it, you know me I let lose. 

To be honest and I have said this today i enjoyed the game because I saw enough of Josh Allen to want more next week. 

When it comes to acquisitions this year i run it through one question How will this help Allen. I knew what this year was going to be. But that doesnt mean there are mistakes and questions about this FO and Coaching staff. 

For the most part I will leave them alone minus some fun one liners. Until i see threads calling less of a fan if I am not all in on the Process. That didnt fly with TT. Wont fly with McD and Beane 

I personally dont have a problem with ppl questioning the process.....ppl have a right to speak their mind and we are not winning right now.

A lot of those same pple are taking personal shots at "optomists" this to me is not acceptable.....there are rules here (this is not directed at you only that there are those that are taking it to far)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I personally dont have a problem with ppl questioning the process.....ppl have a right to speak their mind and we are not winning right now.

A lot of those same pple are taking personal shots at "optomists" this to me is not acceptable.....there are rules here (this is not directed at you only that there are those that are taking it to far)

Same can be said for the other side. But hey thats cause they are losing. However I did want to get the CoTP out there early enough like my Teflon Juan. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

If you tear it all down in year one you don't finish 9-7 and get a 21 draft pick and have to use most of your draft capital built up just to get to 7. You're at 7. Which is where  may likely end this year. 

I understand your premise but who else do you wish they would have gotten rid of the first year instead of this past off season?  Tyrod, Brown, Glenn and not signed Hyde and Poyer?

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Great a boatload if cap space to spend on old average UFAs. That never goes wrong and gets you in cap hell.