Reasons Why I Stand By Coach McDermott and GM Beane’s “Process”

BuffaloRush

Just now, White Linen said:

I think that's what John is referring to.  I think he's suggesting that going 9-7 may have been as much a surprise to them as everyone else.  

While that may be true, you do one of two things, you build off that and not totally rebuild, or you don't worry about that in year one you just tear it down and go for a three year plan. To me, they are screweing themselves on a three year plan. If they tore it all down last year, suffered the lean year, built upon it this year, and then by the third year they would be in the second year of the rebuild and not the first, that would make sense. You don't tear it all down in the second year, especially if you overachieved in the first. It doesn't make much sense. Right now we are behind where we were last year. If you tore it all down then we would be slightly ahead. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Thats my point. It isnt a plan. If theh wanted to get all their guys and blah blah build or whatever 

shady should have been dealt last year. 

Wood dealt last year

Looney Toons dealt last year

Hughes dealt last year. 

Not kick the pain down the road. 

McD traded half the roster, and you think they should have traded the other half too? The reason they didn't trade Wood, Shady, Hughes, Kyle, and Lorenzo is because those guys were the real leaders in the locker room. McD needed them for culture reasons, if not their actual play on the field. You can't rebuild the whole team overnight. 

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Him or Beane? Or both?

I've been on record since the day were hired that if they can't get the job done, they need to get the !@#$ out of town. 3 years is more than fair, and I think they bought a little more time than that by breaking the drought. That can all change if things turn into a complete and total disaster, but I'm not close to making that call after only 2 games.

The one thing that is crystal clear though is the failures here before them had to get thrown into the trash, of that there can be no doubt.

I think Beane would get two QBs. McD not so much. But also think Beane is a McD plant at GM and has alot more personel decisions than he should (an ownership mistake IMO) 

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Him or Beane? Or both?

I've been on record since the day were hired that if they can't get the job done, they need to get the !@#$ out of town. 3 years is more than fair, and I think they bought a little more time than that by breaking the drought. That can all change if things turn into a complete and total disaster, but I'm not close to making that call after only 2 games.

The one thing that is crystal clear though is the failures here before them had to get thrown into the trash, of that there can be no doubt.

I agree Rico.  They didn't believe in Tyrod, Dareus and Watkins being the best players and the highest salaries.  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Oh boy, another fan who thinks the Bills can do no wrong...

They finally have their franchise QB?  What makes you say this?

Have you watched Edmunds play???

"We had a playoff team last year"  - just /facepalm is all I got.

Let me guess, you wanted to give Jauron and Gailey a chance too...

The roster is in shambles, two players have actually quit on McClappity, and all he can tell us is "it was the right decision"...

Wow, just wow.

wow..did somebody just run over your dog?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Thats my point. It isnt a plan. If theh wanted to get all their guys and blah blah build or whatever 

shady should have been dealt last year. 

Wood dealt last year

Looney Toons dealt last year

Hughes dealt last year. 

Not kick the pain down the road. 

Then Why was McCoy not dealt last year (will be retired before we are good)

Hughes (same)

Kyle (Same)

Eric (is retired)

Looney Toon ( is retired)

If they did “kick the pain” down the road, you would have been whinging about the Bills not making the playoffs for 18 years.  Get on the bandwagon or GET OFF THE BUS!

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

At this point, I don't think anyone can keep track with what you're mad about.  It's just everything and anything.  

I agree with other posters that deep breathe's are your friend right now. 

In a conversation with @John from Riverside So unless you can follow feel free to see your way oit of it. 

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

McD traded half the roster, and you think they should have traded the other half too? The reason they didn't trade Wood, Shady, Hughes, Kyle, and Lorenzo is because those guys were the real leaders in the locker room. McD needed them for culture reasons, if not their actual play on the field. You can't rebuild the whole team overnight. 

You don't remodel the house the year before you raze it and rebuild from scratch either. 

4 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You know, people wouldn't think you were a dick if you didn't act like a dick all the time.

You know I dont care what people think of me. But thanks for your concern

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I think Beane would get two QBs. McD not so much. But also think Beane is a McD plant at GM and has alot more personel decisions than he should (an ownership mistake IMO) 

See, I think Beane owns Allen a whole lot more more than McD does, but I'm a bottom line kind of guy... though you may be right about him being a 'plant'.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

If they did “kick the pain” down the road, you would have been whinging about the Bills not making the playoffs for 18 years.  Get on the bandwagon or GET OFF THE BUS!

There it is. Was waiting for it. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

While that may be true, you do one of two things, you build off that and not totally rebuild, or you don't worry about that in year one you just tear it down and go for a three year plan. To me, they are screweing themselves on a three year plan. If they tore it all down last year, suffered the lean year, built upon it this year, and then by the third year they would be in the second year of the rebuild and not the first, that would make sense. You don't tear it all down in the second year, especially if you overachieved in the first. It doesn't make much sense. Right now we are behind where we were last year. If you tore it all down then we would be slightly ahead. 

I kind of understand what you're saying but then not really.  The tear down was last year - they didn't tear down much this past off season beyond Glenn and Tyrod.  They overachieved in year one - with what most would agree a largely baron team of high end talent.  It showed McD's leadership to a degree.  

When you say tear it down in year two, do you mean moving on from Tyrod and drafting a rookie QB?

Just now, Rico said:

See, I think Beane owns Allen a whole lot more more than McD does, but I'm a bottom line kind of guy... though you may be right about him being a 'plant'.

Reason I think he is a plant is the Carolina Connection and the Immediate hire after the draft. And the reports we knew Carolinas board (Zay Jones trade up)

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

There are many reasons why, in the face of the  ugly, negative, and defamatory rhetoric from some of the Bills fan base (I use that term loosely), I stand in lock-step with Coach McDermott and GM Beane.  There are many reasons why:

- We finally have acquired our franchise QB.  This year will all be about his individual development, not about the team’s overall record.  Also would you rather have another 7-9 year with Tyrod Taylor starting?  Or a year bottoming out at say 4-12 where we use a high draft pick to acquire premium talent?  Cal me crazy but I’ve seen enough of 7-9.  If you’re not gonna make the playoffs, Miss them by a mile.

- The are cleaning up the cap situation.  Doug Whaley’s cap situation was atrocious.  It takes time to clean it up.  Beane was able to unload overpaid stars like Sammy Watkins, Marcel Darius, and yes even Tyrod.  Next year, we have a lot of $$$ to spend and a high draft position.  We will rebuild.

- They ended the playoff drought!  I repeat, they ended the playoff drought!  Some of you would have traded your first born to end the drought, these guys did it and you whinge.  

- We have our defensive QB’s in Edmunds, Hyde, and White.  Solid starters for years to come.  Yes Edmunds has struggled a bit so far but he is 20 years old.  Give him 1 year NFL experience and you will see. 

- Coach McDermott will fix the problems on defense.

Folks look at the talent on this team.  Did you really think this was playoff caliiber?  They suffered too many losses.  This is a rebuilding year.  I would encourage you to look at the overall progress of Josh Allen and not the team’s overall record.  This is a rebuild. 

So in conclusion, thank you Coach McDermott.  Thank you GM Beane.  You have our ship headed toward the right direction with the character and culture of this organization. 

To the fans who whinge on this board about the Bills.  Quit your whinging.  We had a playoff team last year.  They broke the streak. Chalk this up to a rebuild and move on.  If you don’t like the team....get off the bus!  (Mic drop)

This would all be great but they’ve made some decisions that are atrocious.

Signing Star and Trent, not building up the offensive line to protect your rookie QB, starting Nate freakin Peterman again, and failing to give Allen any weapons has me questioning the process.

I agree with the bottoming out part. We need a top pick and being mediocre all these years is one of the reasons why we are where we are.

7 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Culture reasons?  Culture is the most overrated concept in all of sports.  They traded and cut players with more talent, then they received, drafted or signed.

"Culture," "process," "faith, family and football" are things spoken by those who don't have a real plan or idea what they are doing.  They are created to blind the sheep and it has clearly worked with many Bills fans and the Pegulas.

Edited by Billsflyer12