Reasons Why I Stand By Coach McDermott and GM Beane’s “Process”

BuffaloRush

There are many reasons why, in the face of the  ugly, negative, and defamatory rhetoric from some of the Bills fan base (I use that term loosely), I stand in lock-step with Coach McDermott and GM Beane.  There are many reasons why:

- We finally have acquired our franchise QB.  This year will all be about his individual development, not about the team’s overall record.  Also would you rather have another 7-9 year with Tyrod Taylor starting?  Or a year bottoming out at say 4-12 where we use a high draft pick to acquire premium talent?  Cal me crazy but I’ve seen enough of 7-9.  If you’re not gonna make the playoffs, Miss them by a mile.

- The are cleaning up the cap situation.  Doug Whaley’s cap situation was atrocious.  It takes time to clean it up.  Beane was able to unload overpaid stars like Sammy Watkins, Marcel Darius, and yes even Tyrod.  Next year, we have a lot of $$$ to spend and a high draft position.  We will rebuild.

- They ended the playoff drought!  I repeat, they ended the playoff drought!  Some of you would have traded your first born to end the drought, these guys did it and you whinge.  

- We have our defensive QB’s in Edmunds, Hyde, and White.  Solid starters for years to come.  Yes Edmunds has struggled a bit so far but he is 20 years old.  Give him 1 year NFL experience and you will see. 

- Coach McDermott will fix the problems on defense.

Folks look at the talent on this team.  Did you really think this was playoff caliiber?  They suffered too many losses.  This is a rebuilding year.  I would encourage you to look at the overall progress of Josh Allen and not the team’s overall record.  This is a rebuild. 

So in conclusion, thank you Coach McDermott.  Thank you GM Beane.  You have our ship headed toward the right direction with the character and culture of this organization. 

To the fans who whinge on this board about the Bills.  Quit your whinging.  We had a playoff team last year.  They broke the streak. Chalk this up to a rebuild and move on.  If you don’t like the team....get off the bus!  (Mic drop)

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Love it!!!!

I'd rather have people like McD and Bean that move on from mistakes (benching Peterman, taking over playcalling from Frazier) than people who stubbornly sit by their decisions trying not to look bad and then blaming the negative outcomes on others.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I disagree with you but we shall see.

I am not going to respond to each of your points.  You can review prior posts of mine for that.

I wil say that McBeane have replaced "bad contracts" with bad contracts of their own and have exponentially increased our dead cap.

It will be interesting to see how many guys they overpay this coming off season (read bad contracts) to get guys to sign with a team that is likely to be one of the worst in the league.

Oh boy, another fan who thinks the Bills can do no wrong...

They finally have their franchise QB?  What makes you say this?

Have you watched Edmunds play???

"We had a playoff team last year"  - just /facepalm is all I got.

Let me guess, you wanted to give Jauron and Gailey a chance too...

The roster is in shambles, two players have actually quit on McClappity, and all he can tell us is "it was the right decision"...

Wow, just wow.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

There are many reasons why, in the face of the  ugly, negative, and defamatory rhetoric from some of the Bills fan base (I use that term loosely), I stand in lock-step with Coach McDermott and GM Beane.  There are many reasons why:

- We finally have acquired our franchise QB.  This year will all be about his individual development, not about the team’s overall record.  Also would you rather have another 7-9 year with Tyrod Taylor starting?  Or a year bottoming out at say 4-12 where we use a high draft pick to acquire premium talent?  Cal me crazy but I’ve seen enough of 7-9.  If you’re not gonna make the playoffs, Miss them by a mile.

Did We???  I am thinking he will progress but I do know we passed on Mahomes and Watson who look a hell of alot further along. 

- The are cleaning up the cap situation.  Doug Whaley’s cap situation was atrocious.  It takes time to clean it up.  Beane was able to unload overpaid stars like Sammy Watkins, Marcel Darius, and yes even Tyrod.  Next year, we have a lot of $$$ to spend and a high draft position.  We will rebuild.

Didnt need to gut the Talent void to do this. Tell me Dareus would not look alot better than Star Right now. Tell me Glenn would not look nice at OT right now? Oooo and tell me Tyrod would not look better backing up Allen right now. 

- They ended the playoff drought!  I repeat, they ended the playoff drought!  Some of you would have traded your first born to end the drought, these guys did it and you whinge.  

Yep they did then quickly blew up what they had. Also Thanks Bengals. 

- We have our defensive QB’s in Edmunds, Hyde, and White.  Solid starters for years to come.  Yes Edmunds has struggled a bit so far but he is 20 years old.  Give him 1 year NFL experience and you will see. 

Do we? This defense has LOOKED ATTROCIOUS 

Will he?  Hmmm lets see He built it so I guess more assets while ignoring offense will come. 

Folks look at the talent on this team.  Did you really think this was playoff caliiber?  They suffered too many losses.  This is a rebuilding year.  I would encourage you to look at the overall progress of Josh Allen and not the team’s overall record.  This is a rebuild. 

Thanks Beane and McD and Process for that talent on this team 

So in conclusion, thank you Coach McDermott.  Thank you GM Beane.  You have our ship headed toward the right direction with the character and culture of this organization. 

To the fans who whinge on this board about the Bills.  Quit your whinging.  We had a playoff team last year.  They broke the streak. Chalk this up to a rebuild and move on.  If you don’t like the team....get off the bus!  (Mic drop)

Nah I will call out bad moves as I see them. And talk about the good too. But thanks for the suggestion. I respectfully decline. 

Now Proceed to tell me how I am not a fan. 

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Love it!!!!

I'd rather have people like McD and Bean that move on from mistakes (benching Peterman, taking over playcalling from Frazier) than people who stubbornly sit by their decisions trying not to look bad and then blaming the negative outcomes on others.  

Star?

Ducasse?

Crossman?

Castillo?

Mills?

Miller?

Benjamin?

have we moved on yet?

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Can you imagine Beane telling McD, "We're going to have the lowest paid roster in the NFL this season.  I need you to win the Super Bowl anyway!"?

Can you imagine succeeding on a project in your own job if you had $25 million (on average) less to spend than your competitors?

If Allen and Edmunds advance their skills this year, it's a good season.   The best part about this season will be the shedding of dead cap money.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Can you imagine Beane telling McD, "We're going to have the lowest paid roster in the NFL this season.  I need you to win the Super Bowl anyway!"?

Can you imagine succeeding on a project in your own job if you had $25 million (on average) less to spend than your competitors?

If Allen and Edmunds advance their skills this year, it's a good season.   The best part about this season will be the shedding of dead cap money.  

And self created so the point is again?

Not really seeing many positives right now.  This season is done after two weeks and the team has so many holes to fill next offseason.  It shouldn't be about next year or the future at this point in a season, but, unfortunately, it is.  

I’m not a fan of anointing guys as franchise QBs simply because they were drafted high. We hope he eventually becomes our franchise guy but he simply isn’t yet.

McD and B.B. still have a lot to prove. Making the playoffs is great and all but I’m not going to crown them because we squeezed into a wildcard spot last year. They have unloaded a bunch of talent on the roster and now they have to rebuild it. Having a catch phrase is meaningless if you don’t draft well and don’t make the most of free agency. We can all talk about how these guys have some well defined plan but are they really doing anything differently than previous GMs/HCs? I admire the fact that they went got their QB but they also have to put talent around him and coach him up. If they can’t then they’ll be looking for jobs in a few years.

They need to make some more moves obviously.  In no particular order:

1.  McD take the D calls over from Frazier

2.  Let Clay and Shady and Benjamin either  by trade later this year or offseason.

3.  Target the following in next year's draft/FA

- edge rusher

-WR

-  O linemen 

They have pieces now.  Got their QB, got their leader on D in Edmunds (unless you are the sort who believe guys have to be AllProd coming in).  Got their solid CB and a good LT.

• Like (+1) 1