A few thoughts about the Chargers game, in no particular order

Virgil

The Chargers have little reason to feel good about that game.  If McDermott had been proactive about the defense earlier and the Bills had sustained more drives along with Allen not turning the ball over in Chargers territory with a FG instead it was very possible that the Chargers lose.  It does not mean that the Bills were on the verge of greatness but that the Chargers were not the measuring stick some thought that they might be as to the state of the Bills.

He made progress.  He's not good yet.... but he showed signs of improvement from the first half.

Still major holes in the OL, WR, LB, DB.  I think Edmunds showed some improvement as well but made mistakes getting burned on more than one occasion.  This team probably will not win a game in their first 8.

3 hours ago, Looper said:

I would encourage all to go back and look at a bunch of HOF QBs and see how they did during their 1st season. 

I didn't slam the door closed on the kid, I only made an accurate assessment of his play. How Any other QB played initially is irrelevant. He needs work. Only time will tell if he will make it or not. He does seem to have the right attitude.,...

4 hours ago, Looper said:

I would encourage all to go back and look at a bunch of HOF QBs and see how they did during their 1st season. 

This is the reason people don’t critique things. It’s one game.  Hell, it even says it’s thoughts about the one game in the title.  And if you read the whole thing, you’ll see the additional context. 

No one, including myself, said anything about HOF qbs or that he is expected to be one right now  

7 hours ago, Dafan said:

What i think people forget is Josh has had only two weeks of working with the starters.  Week 3 of preseason and this week.  Aside from that he had what, 3/4 short drills all summer with them?  It takes time and I'm not upset we had a QB competition over the summer, but it does take away valuable time from getting in sync with the starters.

I think this is a point that has not received near enough attention, and reprsents McD's biggest flaw thus far as a coach.  He wasted the entire off season with competitions and shuffling players around.  Now the season has started and for 2 weeks the team has been unprepared, undisciplined, and out matched.   IMO, the first 2 weeks we've seen are the result of completely inept coaching, far more than under talented players.

Granted we need upgrades at a lot of positions, but we need caoches that aren't inept as well.

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I really hate to state the obvious....but ALL QBS  miss open throws....ALL OF THEM

Even ones that are not making their first NFL start behind horrible OL's with WR's that dont do them any favors when it comes to catching the ball.   A running game would sure help as well

Lots of reasons

Josh had some bad throws....he also had some really good ones......

I agree, and Let's also not forget how bad that Bills defense was playing. The Chargers offense took their foot off the gas in the second half IMO. 

That offensive line with no run game, blocking the wrong players, TE's and RB missing on chip blocks. This team is so lucky that Joey Bosa didn't play because as it was they couldn't block Ingram. 

I highly doubt Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or any NFL QB wins that game for Buffalo. Allen did take 5 sacks and it could have been worse. Bills QBs 11 sacks in two games...extrapolate that out to 16 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree, and Let's also not forget how bad that Bills defense was playing. The Chargers offense took their foot off the gas in the second half IMO. 

That offensive line with no run game, blocking the wrong players, TE's and RB missing on chip blocks. This team is so lucky that Joey Bosa didn't play because as it was they couldn't block Ingram. 

I highly doubt Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or any NFL QB wins that game for Buffalo. Allen did take 5 sacks and it could have been worse. Bills QBs 11 sacks in two games...extrapolate that out to 16 weeks. 

Jesus...did you see that block that Logan Thomas missed that got Josh sacked?   There was some times where Josh Allen did not recognize the blitzer and adjust the protection (that will come with experience but he certainly does not need his own players whiffing on blitz pickup)

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Jesus...did you see that block that Logan Thomas missed that got Josh sacked?   There was some times where Josh Allen did not recognize the blitzer and adjust the protection (that will come with experience but he certainly does not need his own players whiffing on blitz pickup)

Yes! I also saw Dion Dawkins block the DT which allowed the edge rusher in Ingram come free, untouched. Meanwhile Ducasse was blocking air because Dawkins took his man. 

And yes, Allen should get better as gets more playing experience and like others have mentioned that Peterman got a lot of those first string reps in preseason, for that Raverns game. I just hope Allen survives long enough to properly develop.

Just now, Nihilarian said:

Yes! I also saw Dion Dawkins block the DT which allowed the edge rusher in Ingram come free, untouched. Meanwhile Ducasse was blocking air because Dawkins took his man. 

And yes, Allen should get better as gets more playing experience and like others have mentioned that Peterman got a lot of those first string reps in preseason, for that Raverns game. I just hope Allen survives long enough to properly develop.

This is definately why we need to upgrade these OG's......other players on the OL trying to compensate for the guy next to them not doing their job.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

This is the reason people don’t critique things. It’s one game.  Hell, it even says it’s thoughts about the one game in the title.  And if you read the whole thing, you’ll see the additional context. 

No one, including myself, said anything about HOF qbs or that he is expected to be one right now  

Virgil - appreciate the writeup, but there's no way an average QB wins that game yesterday. I'll give you that Allen made some bad throws yesterday, but so did a few other NFL QBs including Brady. And did you see watch Stafford against the Jets ? 

Behind a better OL and with a better running game, who knows ? I'm in the camp that we give him at least one year, maybe 2 before we bring in the jury. The rest of the team is pathetic right now.

Edited by Looper

39 minutes ago, Looper said:

Virgil - appreciate the writeup, but there's no way an average QB wins that game yesterday. I'll give you that Allen made some bad throws yesterday, but so did a few other NFL QBs including Brady. And did you see watch Stafford against the Jets ? 

Behind a better OL and with a better running game, who knows ? I'm in the camp that we give him at least one year, maybe 2 before we bring in the jury. The rest of the team is pathetic right now.

Again, I’m not bringing in the jury. I’m evaluating one game 

38 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Again, I’m not bringing in the jury. I’m evaluating one game 

And it really is filled with your opinions being projected. I read this board a lot and what I see from many is "I would do it this way". When we all become head coaches or professional players the we can better understand who or what is going on. McDermott is in his second year as a head coach, without star players, who managed to squeak into the playoffs his first year, ( which by the way Lynn with the stars did not). We were a sorry team,  with many problems before He got here and it will take time to rebuild. In fact many in this forum have said exactly that. We all looked at the schedule to begin with and most believed we would go 1-7 or 0 - 8. 

George Allen,(for those who are to young, he coached the redskins in the 70's), said I don't play rookies, because for every rookie starter you can count 1 loss. So now we have two, having started Edmunds, Phillips, and Allen. One more to come, and we still play division games. Point being critiquing a team before the end of the first month is an exercise in futility.

I personally did not expect and do not expect playoffs this year. I am only looking for improvement by year end.

On 9/16/2018 at 4:26 PM, Virgil said:

I’m not saying they don’t.  His misses were the kind that made me weary of drafting him.  

We can agree to disagree on this. 

yep i completely agree. the roll out to the left with the guy wide open and he throws a duck...another wide wide wide open receiver on the  right  who probbly scores the TD if he hits him in stride--and he sails the thing behind him so he needs to fall to make the catch....and many many  many other inaccurate throws. throwing a ball accurately doesnt take experience and coaching. you either have it or you dont. Allen has good qualities..big,fast ,tough,athletic/....which could possibly allow him to overcome his average to below average QB talent and allow him to become a decent starter in this league. Not worth number 7 overall.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed, the clear lack of accuracy was worrying. His mechanics looked really sloppy too, but that could have been the relentless pressure.

I have to rewatch. He had thorns but I can get behind feeling this guy. I was pissed we traded up for him, but maybe just maybe, he will become a Rothleisburger or dare I say... Rivers

17 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

I have to rewatch. He had thorns but I can get behind feeling this guy. I was pissed we traded up for him, but maybe just maybe, he will become a Rothleisburger or dare I say... Rivers

Rivers is highly overrated.He has done a lot of screwing up in his career.Very good arm--But he was never a top notch QB.And neither was Tony Rivers or Philip Romo. Rothleisberger has QB skills that Allen will never dream of having. Allen is a slightly better runner and probbly faster. But we know athleticism(Brady) doesnt count for a great deal without the QB skills.

Edited by Tcali

On 9/18/2018 at 6:01 PM, Tcali said:

Rivers is highly overrated.He has done a lot of screwing up in his career.Very good arm--But he was never a top notch QB.And neither was Tony Rivers or Philip Romo. Rothleisberger has QB skills that Allen will never dream of having. Allen is a slightly better runner and probbly faster. But we know athleticism(Brady) doesnt count for a great deal without the QB skills.

Sooooo Rivers is his ceiling? Who are you saying he would be like at his ceiling? 

On 9/18/2018 at 6:01 PM, Tcali said:

The dyslexia is strong with this one