A few thoughts about the Chargers game, in no particular order

Virgil

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

We were 15 and we missed a lot of open throws.  A lot.  Two of the FG drives could have ended in TD’s with some more accurate throws.   

So yes, an average QB could have possibly won us this game.  I believe that.  I expect to lose some games while Allen learns, but I think it’s fair to give context when looking at the entire game. 

Virgil, if you've been around players being coached or have coached, one truth is that you can never change a few plays in the game and assume it's the same game.

Sure, if you put an average QB in there, he might have made some more accurate throws.  He might also have missed a couple throws that Allen made that an average QB could not.  He might have scored a TD instead of a FG.  And then San Diego might have played differently on both offense and defense.  It's just a rabbit hole you go down with that "few plays" thing.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

We were 15 and we missed a lot of open throws.  A lot.  Two of the FG drives could have ended in TD’s with some more accurate throws.   

So yes, an average QB could have possibly won us this game.  I believe that.  I expect to lose some games while Allen learns, but I think it’s fair to give context when looking at the entire game. 

I agree.  Even some of the completions he did get like the Dimarco one an average QB could have put it where he could get some YAC.  An average Qb hits the RB on the very shot pass and he takes if 15 yards up field for a first down as opposed to killing a drive.  Stuff like that.  Plays were there to be made that were missed.  Both picks.

Rookie mistakes.

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I really hate to state the obvious....but ALL QBS  miss open throws....ALL OF THEM

Even ones that are not making their first NFL start behind horrible OL's with WR's that dont do them any favors when it comes to catching the ball.   A running game would sure help as well

Lots of reasons

Josh had some bad throws....he also had some really good ones......

Improvement will be need from Allen. Big improvement! He made a few good throws but most of this throws, and even most of his completions were not good throws. Accuracy and touch still need work. Confidence and experience will help, but to his credit, 245 on a day he wasn't great far exceeded what we've endured the past few years.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Virgil, if you've been around players being coached or have coached, one truth is that you can never change a few plays in the game and assume it's the same game.

Sure, if you put an average QB in there, he might have made some more accurate throws.  He might also have missed a couple throws that Allen made that an average QB could not.  He might have scored a TD instead of a FG.  And then San Diego might have played differently on both offense and defense.  It's just a rabbit hole you go down with that "few plays" thing.

Well said.  Allen did miss some throws but i liked that he was going threw his progressions and always looking downfield.  Allen needs a true number 1 that he can build long term chemistry with.  He is also in about as bad of a situation as a rookie QB can be right now bit he doesnt look like a deer in headlights.  Will he be great?? I dont know but im encouraged so far.

What i think people forget is Josh has had only two weeks of working with the starters.  Week 3 of preseason and this week.  Aside from that he had what, 3/4 short drills all summer with them?  It takes time and I'm not upset we had a QB competition over the summer, but it does take away valuable time from getting in sync with the starters.

I'd say at a guess, that a fair few of the accuracy issues Allen had against the Chargers, were due to poor footwork under pressure. This is concerning, as it implies a reversion to bad habits. It's also the reason why we should have had better options at QB, behind our porous O-Line.

One thing I don't think you can fault Allen on, is his attitude. While it may have been a dumb play, seeing him try to hit a WR with a defender on his back, and almost making it, was great to see. While there are a lot of other rookie mistakes occurring, one thing he does do, is keep looking to make a play.

Somehow, they have to do something with the O-Line, to get him time when we are in first and second downs.

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I really hate to state the obvious....but ALL QBS  miss open throws....ALL OF THEM

Even ones that are not making their first NFL start behind horrible OL's with WR's that dont do them any favors when it comes to catching the ball.   A running game would sure help as well

Lots of reasons

Josh had some bad throws....he also had some really good ones......

virgil's right. we had plenty of opportunities. my girlfriend was pointing out open receivers.

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

Give me a break my man, Joe Montana in his prime could not win this game for us.  The defense did look better in the second half but......Rivers dialed it down a bit knowing they basically just had to not turn the ball over & they would walk out with a win.  Appreciate the effort man but you have a long way to go to reach Bill from NYC standards in the game recap.  

4 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Improvement will be need from Allen. Big improvement! He made a few good throws but most of this throws, and even most of his completions were not good throws. Accuracy and touch still need work. Confidence and experience will help, but to his credit, 245 on a day he wasn't great far exceeded what we've endured the past few years.

I would encourage all to go back and look at a bunch of HOF QBs and see how they did during their 1st season. 

13 hours ago, sullim4 said:

To me, the big issue is with the defense.  This is supposedly McDermott's specialty and it's literally a shambles, to the point where a player quits in the middle of a game.  The defense was what was going to win us 5 or 6 games this year and avoid a 2-14 type embarrassment... now I wonder if we can even win a single game.

I have no issue with Allen in this game.  He has no offensive line protection, no running game, and a #1 WR who doesn't seem to want to be on the team.  He showed enough for me to get some hope for the future.  This is exactly the type of team that Archie Manning was trying to prevent Eli from ending up on when he was drafted by the Chargers back in 2004 - it is devoid of talent and could very well get the kid killed by the end of the season.

I said it last week and I'll say it again - McDermott should be fired in January if the defense continues to play like this over the course of the season.  Everyone expected the offense to be putrid.  The defense was supposed to be at least competent and I've yet to see a shred of competence during 8 quarters of football so far.  I'm fine with McDermott staying if the offense loses them 16 games.  But if the defense continues to give up points at this rate, he's got to go.  It's inexcusable.

I'm concerned as to why the defense showed marked improvement in the second half forcing multiple 3 and outs in a row when McDermot took over the play calling.  Is Frazier the problem with the defense?  Sure looks like it from this small sample size. Interesting to see what happens next week and in weeks to come.  Frazier has been doing it a long time, I'm sure he felt a little emasculated by that decision but he can't argue with the results.

Did this happen last year without us knowing about it after we got steamrolled 3 weeks in a row and then came out in KC and shut them down completely looking like a completely different team on that side of the ball?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m not saying they don’t.  His misses were the kind that made me weary of drafting him.  

We can agree to disagree on this. 

Agreed, the clear lack of accuracy was worrying. His mechanics looked really sloppy too, but that could have been the relentless pressure.

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm concerned as to why the defense showed marked improvement in the second half forcing multiple 3 and outs in a row when McDermot took over the play calling.  Is Frazier the problem with the defense?  Sure looks like it from this small sample size. Interesting to see what happens next week and in weeks to come.  Frazier has been doing it a long time, I'm sure he felt a little emasculated by that decision but he can't argue with the results.

Did this happen last year without us knowing about it after we got steamrolled 3 weeks in a row and then came out in KC and shut them down completely looking like a completely different team on that side of the ball?

Do you know if we play zone or man on D? I dont know if i've ever seen so many open receivers less than 10 yards out, which still took 3 players to finish a tackle.  Ugly ugly game

12 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Do you know if we play zone or man on D? I dont know if i've ever seen so many open receivers less than 10 yards out, which still took 3 players to finish a tackle.  Ugly ugly game

We are a predominantly zone based team but obviously like every team in the league play some of both. If they were smart they would let Tre erase the other teams best player man to man and then play zone with the rest of the team...That would give them a lot of options. Maybe they already do this some plays as it seems White is following a guy and not playing a zone.

Edited by matter2003

14 hours ago, sullim4 said:

To me, the big issue is with the defense.  This is supposedly McDermott's specialty and it's literally a shambles, to the point where a player quits in the middle of a game.  The defense was what was going to win us 5 or 6 games this year and avoid a 2-14 type embarrassment... now I wonder if we can even win a single game.

I have no issue with Allen in this game.  He has no offensive line protection, no running game, and a #1 WR who doesn't seem to want to be on the team.  He showed enough for me to get some hope for the future.  This is exactly the type of team that Archie Manning was trying to prevent Eli from ending up on when he was drafted by the Chargers back in 2004 - it is devoid of talent and could very well get the kid killed by the end of the season.

I said it last week and I'll say it again - McDermott should be fired in January if the defense continues to play like this over the course of the season.  Everyone expected the offense to be putrid.  The defense was supposed to be at least competent and I've yet to see a shred of competence during 8 quarters of football so far.  I'm fine with McDermott staying if the offense loses them 16 games.  But if the defense continues to give up points at this rate, he's got to go.  It's inexcusable.

Awesome post, this is exactly where i am. I have yet to get pissed myself, it is almost like a prisoner on death row accepting the inevitable after you have finished your last meal and chatted with the priest.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I highly disagree that "an average QB wins this game for us" 

Average QBs don't generate 31 points.  They probably generate about what we got, maybe earlier in the game than the last drive, but still around the same total.

14 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Team really misses Richie Incognito.  I know he may not have been the best guy in the world but he was a good football player.  Not thinking the O Line would be as weak if he was still around.  Plus he could provide that vocal leadership as well.

As far as I know his teammates all said he was a good teammate.  Nothings really bad has come out about him being a cancer or anything like that in the locker room. Well that I’m aware of

I would not mind if we brought him back at all. Move Ducasse to RG and the line would  be a lot better. Richie would appreciate the money now, especially after his latest episodes. If he is mentally stable and the NFL has no action against him, this is not the worst idea.  

• Like (+1) 1