A few thoughts about the Chargers game, in no particular order

Virgil

Week 2 in the books and Allen has started his first game at the Ralph.  This game was a tale of two halves with a lot of interesting developments and glimpses of the season to come.  I'm probably going to be a little harsh compared to what I'm seeing on the board and hearing on the radio, but I'm just not ready to drink the kool-aid yet.  With that being said....

1 - Offensive Line - I stood up for them last week against the pass rush but can't do that today.  Mills was horrible in protection and Allen was either pressured or knocked down on over 75% of his drop backs in the first half.  The rushing attack was non-existent to start the game and then hard to evaluate as we had to go pass happy early, although I can't think of a reason as to why it would improve.  Mills also had a unnecessary hold to bring back a nice Shady run.  I don't know what the PFF rankings will show, but this line is possibly the worst in the NFL through two weeks

2 - Benjamin - Another week from this guy where he doesn't look back for the ball or seem to really have any heart out there.  He looks slow and takes himself out of plays.  He looks nothing like a guy trying to earn a new contract or a establish himself as a number one.  I think Benjamin could be one of the biggest hits to the team this season as he's going to just add to the narrative that WR's can perform here, even though he's just as much to blame.

3 - Special Teams - I'm sorry, but I'm still not seeing what the rush to get Colton out of here.  The new guy pooched two punts and hasn't really shown an amazing leg or accuracy.  Both teams went 3 and out to start the game, but the punts allowed the Chargers to pick up 20+ yards in field position.  The touchback with 3 Bills players standing around the ball was embarrassing and we got really lucky on the muffed punt called a touchback.  

4 - The hardest skill to acquire in this sport is the one where you compete all out, give it all you have, and you are still getting beat no matter what you do. When you have the killer instinct to fight through that, it is very special

5 - Defensive Line - I have a lot of thoughts about the overall defense and it all won't fit into this one point.  Of everything that changed the most from the first to second half, it's the play of the defensive line.  After halftime, when McDermott took over play calling, the defensive line was absolutely exploding off the ball.  They were blowing up the line of scrimmage and getting pressure without sending any additional help.  On the first 3 drives for the Chargers, they gained 9 total yards.  This was the defensive line performance I've been waiting for all off-season.  

6 - Overall Defense - Vontae Davis retired at halftime.  That should sum up how we played in the first half.  I'll give credit to the play calling for finally blitzing, but Rivers countered every play perfectly.  I can't say the defense got embarrassed in the second drive as much as Rivers and Williams just made great plays.  After that, they were embarrassed.  This defense that we spent money on, drafted for, and overall put together in McDermott's image gave up 4 straight TD's after an initial 3 and out.  There's absolutely no excuse for that kind of performance and it appears McDermott agreed, via taking over the play calling.

7 - Player Motivation - He's my "Get off my lawn" point.  It infuriated me when I found out that McDermott took over play calling duties in the second half and that's most likely what caused the second half spark.  They didn't send out different formations or blitz more.  In fact, they appeared to Blitz left.  They needed a halftime kick in the butt and someone else yelling into the headset.  I'm sorry, I know they are all human beings, but they are also paid millions of dollars to show up for the game.  The fact that they came out flat for the season opener and the first half of this game royally pisses me off.  

8 - Allen - Here's where I anger some people.  I'll admit that I wasn't on board with Allen being drafted at all.  He was my 4th favorite QB and I was pissed when we traded up.  Accuracy to me is one of the hardest traits to teach.  However, I'm a Bills fan and I want to see us succeed.  Once draft night passed, he was my QB.  I am get excited when he comes on the field and am impressed with his physical tools.  With that being said, I think an average QB wins this game for us.  He missed a lot of throws and put the ball in places that completely eliminated the option of a run after catch.  He had some throws that were on the mark, yes.  But he also completely missed some guys by more than a few yards and his INT's were poor decisions.  Even his deep ball the Zay could have been a TD.  I'm not an All-22 review guy because they really don't compensate for pressure and other factors, so I'm not looking at that.

Overall, I can see where has potential, but if you look at his first few games vs other rookie qb's these past few seasons, I don't think you can say Allen's debut ranks even in the top 5.  I get our lack of offensive line talent and WR's as well as our Offensive play calling, but I can't say I'm confident he'll get there yet.  We are only talking 6 quarters of play so far and I'm happy to be wrong, but it's all we have to go on so far.  

9 - Daboll - There isn't any one specific issue with the offense, but there's something missing that I've seen in almost every other NFL game.  Flow. There seems to be no rhythm or flow to our offense.  It feels like we are playing street ball on so many drives or we are just running it right into the defense.  Rookie QB, bad line, weak WR's, whatever.  I have no idea what the identity of our offense is and don't feel any closer to getting there through two games.  Like point 8, I wasn't a fan of Daboll being hired either as his history shows no promotable performance.  Again, happy to be wrong

10 - McDermott - This was probably the best post game presser I've heard from him.  He made his comments about checking the tape, but he made it pretty clear how he felt about Davis and didn't shy away from many of the questions.  I'm overall concerned about where the team is overall with him.  His defense should be better at this point and his job is to get these players every week, so then coming out flat is on him.  I think this was a winnable game and we saw a lot more from the team than last week, so improvement is good.  Overall, I'm curious to see what changes evolve from the coaching these upcoming weeks and hope McDermott makes the right calls.

Even though they are the enemy, I miss seeing some of the creative rushing schemes Anthony Lynn dialed up.  It's also hard to see what Mahomes did for the Chiefs today, even thought I didn't want him either and he has a much better supporting cast.  I find myself enjoying the NFL more this year with my expectations of the Bills being so low.  Honestly, I haven't gotten irrationally angry once so far.  That's different for me.  0-4 looks more probably than possible at this point, but today was a good sign.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 5

To me, the big issue is with the defense.  This is supposedly McDermott's specialty and it's literally a shambles, to the point where a player quits in the middle of a game.  The defense was what was going to win us 5 or 6 games this year and avoid a 2-14 type embarrassment... now I wonder if we can even win a single game.

I have no issue with Allen in this game.  He has no offensive line protection, no running game, and a #1 WR who doesn't seem to want to be on the team.  He showed enough for me to get some hope for the future.  This is exactly the type of team that Archie Manning was trying to prevent Eli from ending up on when he was drafted by the Chargers back in 2004 - it is devoid of talent and could very well get the kid killed by the end of the season.

I said it last week and I'll say it again - McDermott should be fired in January if the defense continues to play like this over the course of the season.  Everyone expected the offense to be putrid.  The defense was supposed to be at least competent and I've yet to see a shred of competence during 8 quarters of football so far.  I'm fine with McDermott staying if the offense loses them 16 games.  But if the defense continues to give up points at this rate, he's got to go.  It's inexcusable.

• Like (+1) 1

It's difficult to have a rushing attack when nobody blocks for you.  OJ was not exceptional until the Electric Company arrived.

McCoy has to get the ball in space.  Throw to him.

Mills remains a turnstile.  When he's no longer around, it will be known as "progress."

We had too many penalties with Ryan.  We still have too many dumb ones.

• Like (+1) 2

Team really misses Richie Incognito.  I know he may not have been the best guy in the world but he was a good football player.  Not thinking the O Line would be as weak if he was still around.  Plus he could provide that vocal leadership as well.

As far as I know his teammates all said he was a good teammate.  Nothings really bad has come out about him being a cancer or anything like that in the locker room. Well that I’m aware of

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

An Average QB wins this game for us?

Dude

We were 15 and we missed a lot of open throws.  A lot.  Two of the FG drives could have ended in TD’s with some more accurate throws.   

So yes, an average QB could have possibly won us this game.  I believe that.  I expect to lose some games while Allen learns, but I think it’s fair to give context when looking at the entire game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

We were 15 and we missed a lot of open throws.  A lot.  Two of the FG drives could have ended in TD’s with some more accurate throws.   

So yes, an average QB could have possibly won us this game.  I believe that.  I expect to lose some games while Allen learns, but I think it’s fair to give context when looking at the entire game. 

I really hate to state the obvious....but ALL QBS  miss open throws....ALL OF THEM

Even ones that are not making their first NFL start behind horrible OL's with WR's that dont do them any favors when it comes to catching the ball.   A running game would sure help as well

Lots of reasons

Josh had some bad throws....he also had some really good ones......

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really hate to state the obvious....but ALL QBS  miss open throws....ALL OF THEM

Even ones that are not making their first NFL start behind horrible OL's with WR's that dont do them any favors when it comes to catching the ball.   A running game would sure help as well

Lots of reasons

Josh had some bad throws....he also had some really good ones......

I’m not saying they don’t.  His misses were the kind that made me weary of drafting him.  

We can agree to disagree on this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Didn't see the game today, so thanks for the thoughts. This team will improve over the season and every year, teams that start hot, fade by Thanksgiving. We have been that team a couple of times. Let McD build his team and sort out coaching. Looks like every draft pick will be O-line next year.... Wouldn't hurt in the long term.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

3 - Special Teams - I'm sorry, but I'm still not seeing what the rush to get Colton out of here.  The new guy pooched two punts and hasn't really shown an amazing leg or accuracy.  Both teams went 3 and out to start the game, but the punts allowed the Chargers to pick up 20+ yards in field position.  The touchback with 3 Bills players standing around the ball was embarrassing and we got really lucky on the muffed punt called a touchback.  

So this point in particular is the most disconcerting to me. Unlike position groups like OLine or linebacker, most special teams units across the league are made up of similar talent as it is mostly depth players.

When a special teams unit faulters multiple times in multiple games, it is a direct indictment of coaching. Sure Castillo doesn’t seem to be a great OL coach but his players are untalented too. For our special teams to be outclassed heavily these past two weeks, that is entirely coaching.

whether it was cutting our experienced punter, not recovering the loose fumble vs Balt, not calling a fair catch inside the 10 and getting blown up (and eventually getting Taiwan Jones injured), or not being able to down a punt at the one that had a player in position to do so, these are all things that show a lack of preparation by our team.

Our team will get better as the year goes along, but the special teams being such a mess right now is a big indictment of our coaching staff and McDermott. He needs to get these detail related problems taken care of ASAP. Our team did better with preparation related penalties from game 1 to game 2 (again something a coach should be able to control), but McD certainly is showing his inexperience these first two weeks. Let’s hope he can tighten this up bc to me these are the little things that determine whether a coach can be long term successful. Talent fluctuates, how a coach prepares his team to perform should be consistent if you are going to be long term successful.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Why are you upset about what second-year Mahomes did? Delayed gratification is hard these days, I know. But maybe we can give Allen more than one game to win your high bar of approval. 

Mahomes had good play calling, time to pass and receivers diving for the football.  This dude is for real