McD took over defensive play calling in 2nd half

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

On the first one did the officials rule on the field that the Chargers recovered the fumble before the challenge?

They second one wa clear they got robbed. Clear fumble. No ob. Clear recovery. 

The second one was a clear fumble but it wouldn't have mattered.  The guy was still touching the ball while he was out of bounds.  That makes the ball out of bounds and that is why the ruling stood.  From the rule book...

Item 2. Loose Ball. A loose ball is out of bounds when it touches a boundary line or anything that is on or outside such line, including a player, an official, or a pylon.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

My posse and I never go to see these changes, as our arses were outta the Stadium and on our way to being outta Orchard Park @ 28- puuuuuuuuutrid 3!

Tell me though.

Did we somehow miss a stirring comeback or did it end with the normal dog's breakfast of idiocy, incompetence & implosion?

A cornerback went missing.  

Thank God.

it seemed like the chargers had the perfect counter to every defensive play call we made in the 1st half.  Like they knew exactly what we were going to do....every play minus the first drive.  

Why do we never know what the opposition is going to do?  Rivers vs allen?  Possibly, but that went out the window when McD took over calling plays.  Rivers didn’t have an answer for him.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The second one was a clear fumble but it wouldn't have mattered.  The guy was still touching the ball while he was out of bounds.  That makes the ball out of bounds and that is why the ruling stood.  From the rule book...

Thanks. That’s a really dumb rule on a play like that. If they don’t have possession. A player could be ob when a fumble happens in front of him and just reach out and touch it without recovering (if on the team that last had possession). 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Thanks. That’s a really dumb rule on a play like that. If they don’t have possession. A player could be ob when a fumble happens in front of him and just reach out and touch it without recovering (if on the team that last had possession). 

I agree.  There are a lot of dumb rules in the book.

Frazier is good at coaching up players, not necessarily at calling plays.  He doesn't change things up much and doesn't have much imagination.  McDermott changed the blitz packages and FINALLY started using Lorenzo to rush the passer which is what he does best.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

For starters, it was like night and day comparing the second half today to the first three this season.

It sure was. But was it really because McD made the calls? If so, that remains! But it would surprising it's too that extent. I mean, like you mention it was night and day.

It was like Roman. Great strategies and designs, bad game day calls. It was much better with Lynn calling the plays, but Roman had designed them.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Frazier might be demoted on a permanent basis. Bad move by McDermott if so as he has enough to focus on as the HC on game days.

I understand your point, but it’s also hard to argue with the tale of 2 very different halves. Even the last SB winning Eagles featured their HC Pederson calling all the offensive plays on game days I believe, and it didn’t make him have too much on his plate 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, mynmisoli said:

Frazier is good at coaching up players, not necessarily at calling plays.  He doesn't change things up much and doesn't have much imagination.  McDermott changed the blitz packages and FINALLY started using Lorenzo to rush the passer which is what he does best.  

Was thinking the same thing.  Don't think you let Frazier go, but you might relieve him of play calling duties.  Seems like guys really respect everything about him but his play calling because they become too passive.  McD is more attack which is what defenders love to do.  Frazier gets them in the correct concepts, McD gets them to be aggressive within those concepts... you could see it on the field especially passes over the middle.  Last week the ball was going over top of the heads of linebackers... this week Chargers were dumping it off underneath them... I was yelling at the screen... why are you playing so far off... cover someone.  2nd half the D set up in zone and then found someone to cover immediately... kinda like a matchup zone... very aggressive taking away time and space... plus they gave the offense different looks on the D line...  looked like the Bills were having fun on D.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Frazier might be demoted on a permanent basis. Bad move by McDermott if so as he has enough to focus on as the HC on game days.

Come on 26, McDermott had no choice.  I'm sure during the week McDermott talked to Frazier about what he wanted to see.

Everyone seen Rivers in the 1st half.  First the Ravens then the Chargers, it had to be stopped.

• Like (+1) 2

Means nothing.  The Chargers gameplan completely changed in the second half.  The first half they accelerated, the second half they coasted.  It had little to do with McDermott or his play calling. 

Call the plays next week against Minnesota and hold them to 3-10 points in the first half, and I'll begin to question my logic and rational pertaining to this weeks second half performance. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Another mediocre coordinator that will be out of a job soon... at least we saw some passion in the third quarter...

And it was amazing to see Allen go to the Defensive side and pumping them up after the Offense scored that TD.   This will be a different team when all is said and done.

18 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Means nothing.  The Chargers gameplan completely changed in the second half.  The first half they accelerated, the second half they coasted.  It had little to do with McDermott or his play calling. 

Call the plays next week against Minnesota and hold them to 3-10 points in the first half, and I'll begin to question my logic and rational pertaining to this weeks second half performance. 

Beg to differ.  The Chargers were still throwing the football in the 2nd half.  The difference was that the Bills pass rush came alive and they had poor field position. 

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Was thinking the same thing.  Don't think you let Frazier go, but you might relieve him of play calling duties.  Seems like guys really respect everything about him but his play calling because they become too passive.  McD is more attack which is what defenders love to do.  Frazier gets them in the correct concepts, McD gets them to be aggressive within those concepts... you could see it on the field especially passes over the middle.  Last week the ball was going over top of the heads of linebackers... this week Chargers were dumping it off underneath them... I was yelling at the screen... why are you playing so far off... cover someone.  2nd half the D set up in zone and then found someone to cover immediately... kinda like a matchup zone... very aggressive taking away time and space... plus they gave the offense different looks on the D line...  looked like the Bills were having fun on D.

This would never work and I hate the HC being the DC...They are two different duties...I want McDermott to be the HC of this team.  He can bring in an assistant who will run this defense for him in his way. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I feel sad for supposedly knowledgeable fans to be screaming for Frazier''s head now.  Frazier is one of the best secondary coaches in the NFL and I think quite likely contributed to T White's fast development as well as the excellent play of Hyde and Poyer since they joined.  We are fortunate to have him.

Play calling is a different matter.  Coaches develop tendencies just as players do, which can be exploited.  In Frazier's case it is slightly worse because he comes from a more conservative (Predictable) Tampa 2 Background.  He needed to change things up and in this case MacD did it for him.

This does not mean Frazier is a bum, any more than saying Andy Reid is a bum because he fell into a play calling rut and decided to delegate play calling.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

This is right on the money.