Josh is rough around the edges but man kid has potential

This place is insufferable sometimes. A rookie QB in his first start against a solid D with near zero support. All I wanted to see was that the game wasn't too big for him, and it wasn't. With time, the game will slow down for him and then you guys can nitpick every throw to your heart's content. To think that you can predict his future based on his first start is the epitome of football fan arrogance. 

RTB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:
Receiving REC YDS TD LG
Z. Jones 2 63 0 57
C. Ivory 1 30 0 30
C. Clay 2 29 0 21
L. McCoy 4 29 0 9
P. DiMarco 1 24 0 24
K. Benjamin 2 19 1 16
A. Holmes 1 19 0 19
R. Foster 1 11 0 11
J. Croom 2 7 0 6
M. Murphy 1 7 0 7
L. Thomas 1 7 0 7

Look at this - 11 different players caught a ball today. And look at the LG yardage - only 4 below 10 yards and none below 6.

This is very promising. 

Wait until he gets his go to guys figured out. In a few years one will be all pro. He threw to his receiver and tight end at Wyoming. One is playing for the Bears, the other the Patriots. Those were his two main targets.

7 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

EJmania all over again.  

Josh showed promise but it was hardly a head-turning performance.

Because EJ Manuel and Josh Allen are the same person, with the same mental and physical attributes, etc. Such a lazy analysis.

Most posters are saying he is a rookie who showed promise in his debut. Hardly qualifies as any kind of mania. To say, "It makes total sense that someone who thought he was trash to maintain that opinion after today" is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Peter said:

The kid played ok under difficult circumstances.

I was not a huge fan of drafting him and certainly am not a fan of everything that we gave up to draft him . . . but I saw enough today to be reasonably and cautiously optimistic about his potential.  

He also is a tough kid (physically and mentally) it seems.  That will serve him well this year.

He looked OK today but I'm not that optimistic about his potential.

He struggles with accuracy too much IMO.

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Because EJ Manuel and Josh Allen are the same person, with the same mental and physical attributes, etc. Such a lazy analysis.

Most posters are saying he is a rookie who showed promise in his debut. Hardly qualifies as any kind of mania. To say, "It makes total sense that someone who thought he was trash to maintain that opinion after today" is ridiculous.

Why?  Was he amazing?  Head-turning?  He still didn't manage a first down in the first two Q's.  He threw two bad picks.  He made a fair share of bone-headed decisions.

It's EJmania not because they are the same person, but because ya'll are whipping yourselves up into a frenzy that he's proved he's franchise material, just like you did for EJ after his first start or two.   Like Allen threw 4 TD's in a win and "shut up the haters."  Newsflash, he didn't.  He lost in another blowout where we struggled in every facet on offense for the majority of the game.

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 minute ago, Klaista2k said:

He looked OK today but I'm not that optimistic about his potential.

He struggles with accuracy too much IMO.

If and when he gets better protection, we will be in a better position to evaluate this.  It does not surprise me that there are some issues.  He is very raw and McBeane did not do him any favors with the offensive line or the receivers.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I'm afraid the days of developing a QB for years before making a determination are over. No one does that anymore which is why it was such a bad decision to throw Josh in there this early. He's going to get this season to show improvement. If he shows enough he'll get next season too, or at least most of it unless he's terrible. 

The issue is you can't afford to lose the locker room at the expense of developing a QB. They're important, but not THAT important. At some point a young QB needs to show he's worth it, and most guys only get a season or two now to do that. 

Come on, I said two seasons.  TWO SEASONS is not a long time.  If he is showing improvement then I give him the third season as well. 

Lose the locker room?  They can go 0-16 and Allen won't loose the locker room if he is progressing and assumes leadership.  Today, he took the lead out there.  That was the best part of his performance.  Afterwards he was accountable for his game.  Cannot ask for more. 

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wasn’t an Allen guy. I really, really liked what I saw from him.

From what I have been reading in this thread and others, you must either be delusional, engaging in willful blindness, or just being a complete an utter homer...:rolleyes:

Yes, this is sarcasm...

Edited by billsfan1959

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Why?  Was he amazing?  Head-turning?  He still didn't manage a first down in the first two Q's.  He threw two bad picks.  He made a fair share of bone-headed decisions.

It's EJmania not because they are the same person, but because ya'll are whipping yourselves up into a frenzy that he's proved he's franchise material, just like you did for EJ after his first start or two.   Like Allen threw 4 TD's in a win and "shut up the haters."  Newsflash, he didn't.  He lost in another blowout where we struggled in every facet on offense for the majority of the game.

And the defense kept our amazing o line rested. Lol. You sure do know your football Ortonboy.

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

This is ironic. Dont you blindly love literally every QB we have (except Peterman)? Didn’t you despise the Allen pick and hated him as a prospect?

Ironic?

I blindly love the Bills.

That's my tribalism.

The last 4 QBs who played for the Bills (Edwards, Fitz, Manuel, Taylor) I also liked to varying degrees for different reasons. The degree to which I liked each QB is different and it was never the kind of unwavering loyalty and devotion to each QB you could qualify as tribalism, despite the rather demented perspective otherwise from some around here who, I think, enjoy trolling me--I'm a big boy and can deal with that.

I didn't like Losman as a QB and really hated Peterman as a QB, but rooted for both.

I think it's pretty obvious most here will cling for dear life to whatever public presumptions they have here. Tribalism it is.

People love to criticize when he holds the ball too long, including myself, but love all the good plays when he holds it just as long. I think maybe we just have to look at him differently than other guys. Kind of like Shady who averages a nice YPC but it's 5.0 on a -1, 3, and 13 yard run. Josh can just gun the ball anywhere on the field. 3rd and 9 is the same as 3rd and 16. You can't say that about very many other guys. When the game slows down for him he could be very good even if he misses on passes he should hit. He picks up huge chucks of yards. 

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I simply said he was a rookie who showed promise - like most of the posts I have read that were positive. You seem to be the one who is working himself up into a frenzy. Take a deep breath and calm down before you give yourself an aneurysm.

And, yes, any analogy with EJ is intellectually lazy....

1 minute ago, BB@Shooter said:

It is called being a fan of the Bills. Who is your team?

That post was what we call sarcasm. Sorry I didn't spell it out more clearly....

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

I simply said he was a rookie who showed promise - like most of the posts I have read that were positive. You seem to be the one who is working himself up into a frenzy. Take a deep breath and calm down before you give yourself an aneurysm.

And, yes, any analogy with EJ is intellectually lazy....

No, it's not.  EJ had promising starts here.

8 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Come on, I said two seasons.  TWO SEASONS is not a long time.  If he is showing improvement then I give him the third season as well. 

Lose the locker room?  They can go 0-16 and Allen won't loose the locker room if he is progressing and assumes leadership.  Today, he took the lead out there.  That was the best part of his performance.  Afterwards he was accountable for his game.  Cannot ask for more. 

So...to clarify, you said a few years and bolded the years part. I take that to mean at least three. One is one. Couple is two. Few is three or more. 

I think Allen will get this season plus the off season plus training camp. If he hasn't shown significant improvement by that point, I could see us going in a different direction. If he's improving and trending in the right direction he'll get some to all of next year too. 

I agree his leadership and the fact he was able to bounce back after some particularly ugly low points were the highlights of his day. He needs to show more than that though. A lot more. Hope he will. Cheering for this team would be a lot more fun if Allen turns into a franchise guy.

Edited by VW82

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

EJ almost beat the Pats his first start bro!  You're just a hater, he's gonna be awesome! - you, probably.

Why are you so hung up on EJ? Man crush? And not saying that in a gay way. But every post you bring him up. What gives? They are different qb's. I watched EJ play for the Raiders, he will never be good. Allen has a ton more upside and has improved every game except the Cincinnati game. Where his O never showed up. What were you babbling about again?......