Josh is rough around the edges but man kid has potential

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't think anyone is blown away, just really encouraged.

But like I said--tribalism 

Bruce-Willis-Thank-You.gif

I don't think it was a spectacular performance and it makes total sense that somebody who thought he was trash to maintain that opinion after today.

Tribalism is a cute buzz word though.

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't think anyone is blown away, just really encouraged.

But like I said--tribalism 

Bruce-Willis-Thank-You.gif

This is ironic. Dont you blindly love literally every QB we have (except Peterman)? Didn’t you despise the Allen pick and hated him as a prospect?

Edited by Bangarang

Receiving REC YDS TD LG
Z. Jones 2 63 0 57
C. Ivory 1 30 0 30
C. Clay 2 29 0 21
L. McCoy 4 29 0 9
P. DiMarco 1 24 0 24
K. Benjamin 2 19 1 16
A. Holmes 1 19 0 19
R. Foster 1 11 0 11
J. Croom 2 7 0 6
M. Murphy 1 7 0 7
L. Thomas 1 7 0 7

Look at this - 11 different players caught a ball today. And look at the LG yardage - only 4 below 10 yards and none below 6.

This is very promising. 

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh is the kind of player, now at least, that if you are looking to like him you can easily find a lot of stuff, if you are looking to criticize, you can easily find a lot of stuff. I find it hard to believe that anyone without a preconceived idea of him would find this game a big disappointment. He has no help. He did a bunch bad, a bunch good, a bunch questionable. 

• Like (+1) 1

Allen completed a 57-yard pass to wide receiver Zay Jones late in the second quarter. According to NFL Next Gen Stats, the pass had 64.0 of air distance from the spot of the throw to the spot of the catch. That is tied for the second-longest air distance on a completed pass since 2016, when NFL Next Gen Stats began tracking.

Another thing about him very few QBs have is maybe we have to be okay with him holding the ball seeminly too long. I thought there were several plays he did, even ones when he didn't get hitbnad finally threw. But 3rd and 16 isn't much different from 3rd and 10 with him. There aren't many guys like that. Throwing 16 yards is nothing. Anything can happen on any play. When you are a conservative coach that must drive you nuts. But it would be dumb to neuter him. 

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Allen completed a 57-yard pass to wide receiver Zay Jones late in the second quarter. According to NFL Next Gen Stats, the pass had 64.0 of air distance from the spot of the throw to the spot of the catch. That is tied for the second-longest air distance on a completed pass since 2016, when NFL Next Gen Stats began tracking.

And Zay wanted to drop it the defense just wouldn't let him. 

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

The flaws he has always shown are still prevalent.  

Most disconcerting is his accuracy, which remains a problem.

The narrative in pre-season was that he was improving in that area with better footwork.

That almost never works.

It was his 1st game starting. Look at how much the game has slowed down for him going against the 2's. I say he is in between , that he will catch up to the speed of the game pretty quick. You sir, are a pessimist of the highest order. You jump on and off the Allen bandwagon so fast you ought be dizzy.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Josh is the kind of player, now at least, that if you are looking to like him you can easily find a lot of stuff, if you are looking to criticize, you can easily find a lot of stuff. I find it hard to believe that anyone without a preconceived idea of him would find this game a big disappointment. He has no help. He did a bunch bad, a bunch good, a bunch questionable. 

Good post. It really comes down to glass half full or half empty at this point. I think he did more good than bad (especially considering the supporting cast) but that could be my views on it. 

I think as we see more we will know more. 

54 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

No doubt the OL is putrid, but that does not lead to total duress every time Josh throws the football.

There were plenty of plays where it was fair to judge Josh based on what he was in control of.  Things are not totally out of his control on all plays, though many here like to suggest that is the case.

Obviously if pass blocking is blown on a given play and Josh is immediately under duress, that play should be thrown out in terms of evaluating Josh.  But there are many others where he can be judged.

He is not anticipating open receivers, he is throwing way late consistently, and his ball placement/accuracy is pretty bad.  

These are the things he will need to improve and will be interesting to follow throughout the year.

Also, people are giving Allen way too much of a pass on the protection issues. His inability to identify where the rush is coming from pre-snap is what leads to all these protection issues in the first place. 

Did our o line get beat one on one at points throughout the game? Yes. But there were just as many times where we were obviously overloaded to one side and Allen didn't recognize it. He needs to either shift the line or pull the TE or RB to help shore up that side, and when they come with the delayed blitz he needs to see that and go to his hot read. Beuerline was ALL OVER THIS throughout the game. Do people just think he was being biased?

Forget the accuracy issues, of which there were plenty. We're dead on half the plays before we even snap the ball.

Edited by VW82

I want a QB that can put points on the board.  I'll give them time to cut down on mistakes and turnovers but they need to be able to move the ball and put TD's on the board.  Allen seems capable of doing that.  We had 2 turnovers and the defense was non existent the 1st half and we still scored 21 points.  For the offense that's a start.  The second half defense may have been a start also but you have to play defense for 4 qtrs every week.

The kid played ok under difficult circumstances.

I was not a huge fan of drafting him and certainly am not a fan of everything that we gave up to draft him . . . but I saw enough today to be reasonably and cautiously optimistic about his potential.  

He also is a tough kid (physically and mentally) it seems.  That will serve him well this year.