Josh is rough around the edges but man kid has potential

38 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I liken him to Joe Flacco as a passer with Big Ben's mobility. He should be an above average passer and long-term starter, nothing great but steady and pretty solid.

So you liken him to two Super Bowl champions? Yea, "pretty solid."

38 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Flacco took a while to develop too (some would say he never really did develop with the exception of that uncharacteristically great playoff/Super Bowl run). With 4 years + 1 option year, I just don't know about these "project" passers under the current CBA. No knock on Allen; I'm still relatively high on him. But will he emerge as a finished product before his contract runs out? Before the Bills have to decide whether to exercise that pricey 5th year option?

EDIT: my other issue - my impression is that what separates future top-rank QBs from the others (the busts as well as the solid starters) is the ability to recognize defenses and to respond immediately. Think about the recent success stories who started as rookies: Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott ... they all seemed to "get it" almost immediately. That seems more important than flashing pure athleticism. Allen's first start was a bit worrying from this perspective, although certainly we need to give him half a season or so to make this call. Again, no knock on him, but he didn't show that immediate ability to adapt to the NFL game that we've seen in a number of other successful QBs. (Goff may be an exception here ...)

You can't really tell if he's diagnosing the defense because the line can't block even if he calls the correct protection. That's going to be something discussed while watching film. "What did you see on this play, what protection did you call, etc."

The defense has given up 78 points in two games so that's going to make it even tougher to assess him as a player.

It's certainly going to be a year full of adversity for him. His mental makeup and willing to lead will get him through year one. With the expected large sum of cap money available in the offseason and a potentially high 1st round pick, I would expect year two will be a much better environment to judge his individual performance.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Positives

Stands tall in the pocket and is not phased by the rush

Goes through his progressions

Can make any throw 

Mobility and toughness

Isn’t Nate Peterman

Negatives

Doesn’t recognize pre-snap looks (shifts, blitzes, protection adjustments)

Footwork regressed today

Drifts sideways under pressure instead of stepping up into a muddy pocket

Doesnt trust his eyes - waits too long to make throws to open receivers 

Mental clock is still too slow

Accuracy remains an issue 

Agree besides “can make every throw”. Has to learn to take some off his “fastball” in certain situations and has to learn how to drop throws “into a bucket”. That said, the kid had a solid first start behind a crap line and subpar receivers.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

but we knew TT wasn't going to amount to anything.

Allen is a rookie with a much higher ceiling.

This.

TT was too expensive to keep on the team.  I love Allen and what he brings.  He's young, and comparisons to Mahomes are way premature since we got Tre White in the deal and in a few years Allen could have a way higher ceiling.  Everyone right now is panicking off of a few games.  It's ridiculous

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I agree.  Confused by those who thought he was going to be a finished product in his first start.

He improved over week 1 and I expect he will continue to do so over the next 14 weeks.

Heck I even expect some up and downs, not just weekly improvement but hopefully a general trend up

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I give him an A- simply because of the game situation. It was a B performance, but carrying 21 grown men worth of dead weight can be troublesome. 

That is right  21 players worth of players are dead weight - name them.

Or maybe you thought you were playing catch with him and counting yourself only 21 times?

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

That is right  21 players worth of players are dead weight - name them.

Or maybe you thought you were playing catch with him and counting yourself only 21 times?

I really don't understand what you're trying to say. 

My point was that Josh was pretty much the only part of the team that worked today. The defense did better in the second half, but still was not impressive. He was the best player on our team, and he still didn't play lights out. 

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

His accuracy is better than I imagined, I was expecting a guy that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but that simply has not been the case! That throw to Benjamin between two defenders for the first down was very encouraging to me, not to mention Allen is very hard to bring down, strong runner, I'd like to see more QB sneaks in short yardage situations, Allen is very good at it.

It's only one game though, he WILL have some bad games though but today, the game did not seem too big for him and he did not seem overwhelmed. That's huge to me, the fact that he did not seem overwhelmed today is by far the most encouraging aspect to today's game. I will not jump ship on Allen until it seems like the game is too much for him, until then I will ride it out until he cuts his teeth.

That TD pass was amazing as well. There are very few QBs in the NFL that can make that throw.

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Flacco took a while to develop too (some would say he never really did develop with the exception of that uncharacteristically great playoff/Super Bowl run). With 4 years + 1 option year, I just don't know about these "project" passers under the current CBA. No knock on Allen; I'm still relatively high on him. But will he emerge as a finished product before his contract runs out? Before the Bills have to decide whether to exercise that pricey 5th year option?

EDIT: my other issue - my impression is that what separates future top-rank QBs from the others (the busts as well as the solid starters) is the ability to recognize defenses and to respond immediately. Think about the recent success stories who started as rookies: Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott ... they all seemed to "get it" almost immediately. That seems more important than flashing pure athleticism. Allen's first start was a bit worrying from this perspective, although certainly we need to give him half a season or so to make this call. Again, no knock on him, but he didn't show that immediate ability to adapt to the NFL game that we've seen in a number of other successful QBs. (Goff may be an exception here ...)

If he is still having trouble with that six weeks from now I would be concerned. You have to give him a chance to learn from his mistakes though. I’m excited to see how he plays the next couple weeks.

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

If you can't see how solid of a first start that was, that's a you problem. Not an Allen problem, a you problem.

I would personally give it a 6-7 out of 10.

Not a Allen hater at all, I actually like the kid.

He made some very nice plays, but definitely had a few negatives. Holding the ball too long was one of them for me.

In saying that, it was his very first game and the more reps he gets, the more he will learn.

Encouraging for sure.

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I know its the QB's job to pick up blitzes but a good O-line will help in that regard too. The Cowboys center would make the protection calls for Dak in his rookie year for the most part and it resulted in good protection. Not making an excuse for Allen, but I am saying that the supporting cast particularly on the O-line isn't doing Allen any favors. 

I wasn't initially on the Allen train (I wanted Rosen) but I have pseudo come around to him as a QB prospect. To all the idiots saying Allen is a bust (He might be but it's his first !@#$ing start) or that his ceiling is an above average QB you could not be any more up your own ass. 

Allen has literally the first or second strongest arm in the league, he is a 6 foot 5 mobile QB with Big hands and all the intellect and intangibles/work ethic you would want from a QB. Yes he needs to work on his decision making but there are few rookie QB's that don't, yes he needs to work on his footwork and that might ultimately lead to his accuracy issues but he is a hard working guy at least you know he will put in the effort. 

If Allen finds his footwork look out because he has top 5 QB potential. Now that's not to say he will find his footwork or that his accuracy issues will iron themselves out but rather that it has the potential to in a realistic manner. The future is still uncertain with this kid but at least the sky is the limit. 

Well said 89.  The OL is bad and it will affect his play/development this year.  I mean Allen tried to hand off one play and a defender almost took it away.

Stat line shows a big negative on his part.  He has to plow thru all of these issues and do the best he can to keep improving.

3 hours ago, Luka said:

So you liken him to two Super Bowl champions? Yea, "pretty solid."

You can't really tell if he's diagnosing the defense because the line can't block even if he calls the correct protection. That's going to be something discussed while watching film. "What did you see on this play, what protection did you call, etc."

The defense has given up 78 points in two games so that's going to make it even tougher to assess him as a player.

It's certainly going to be a year full of adversity for him. His mental makeup and willing to lead will get him through year one. With the expected large sum of cap money available in the offseason and a potentially high 1st round pick, I would expect year two will be a much better environment to judge his individual performance.

How he gets thru this year is everything right now.  I was hesitant about starting him because he might not handle the adversity with a weak talent offense.

After a game and a half it seems maybe he can.  Now it's going to be can he learn to improve even though they keep losing a lot of games.

Another thing I will watch is can he keep this not so good offense enthused to play.

Ok I watched the Bills Yesterday and here is my impression on Allen:

1. Accuracy :  for me this was tough to judge, because of the drops (I think like 5?) and an O line that had him running for his life most of the day, and when he did have time I didn’t see many Bills receivers running wide open.

2. Toughness:  I define toughness as keep fighting no matter how bad it looks.  I think Allen showed a lot of this yesterday. Dislike being down 28-3 he kept fighting and never stopped.   Yes they lost but that will help him a lot when they finally have an O around him.

3. Overall Performance — Again hard judge because outside of McCoy I don’t see one player on that O that any D would be afraid to go 1 on 1 with.  I saw little separation from any WR and the O line acted like Matadors most of the game.

my overall opinion — I like Allen I think he will be at worse an average starting QB given the proper supporting cast and at best a top 6 or 7 QB.

so in other words this year may be tough to watch, but you have IMO the most important piece at QB and now need get an Oline and maybe a defense so he doesn’t have to do it all by himself.

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Success said:

It was great to see him going through the progressions like he did.  Pretty impressive considering how little time he had in the pocket, and it feels like it’s been a pretty long time since a Bills qb did that consistently.

It's hindsight, but too bad the kid didn't get more meaningful reps in the offseason with the 1st unit instead of wasting time on the other QBs.  

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Heck I even expect some up and downs, not just weekly improvement but hopefully a general trend up

Your smart to expect that! When he faces a D that is very good he will struggle even more, or when he faces a team where he has no choice but match their O score for score.   What I’m saying is the kid looks good IMO. Imagine how good he look if he had some time in the pocket?