Josh is rough around the edges but man kid has potential

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Just look at where Bortles is now, with a strong team around him. His first few years in the league, people were calling him a bust. 

Allen is a lot more talented than Bortles. Give him a good supporting cast, and it's obvious he will flourish. 

I agree with the rest of the comment, but I can't agree with this - Bortles' problem never was lack of talent. Allen was noted as having more pure arm strength, but Bortles really had it all as far as the athletic talent needed in a QB. Mayock compared him to Big Ben coming out of college.

39 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Serious question: Josh Allen has been compared to many other recent high draft picks, but one of the most common (and, to my mind, the best) comparisons is to Blake Bortles. If Josh Allen = Bortles v. 2.0, are you happy with that scenario? Do the Bills have the patience for that scenario to play out? The fans?

I liken him to Joe Flacco as a passer with Big Ben's mobility. He should be an above average passer and long-term starter, nothing great but steady and pretty solid.

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I liken him to Joe Flacco as a passer with Big Ben's mobility. He should be an above average passer and long-term starter, nothing great but steady and pretty solid.

Flacco took a while to develop too (some would say he never really did develop with the exception of that uncharacteristically great playoff/Super Bowl run). With 4 years + 1 option year, I just don't know about these "project" passers under the current CBA. No knock on Allen; I'm still relatively high on him. But will he emerge as a finished product before his contract runs out? Before the Bills have to decide whether to exercise that pricey 5th year option?

EDIT: my other issue - my impression is that what separates future top-rank QBs from the others (the busts as well as the solid starters) is the ability to recognize defenses and to respond immediately. Think about the recent success stories who started as rookies: Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott ... they all seemed to "get it" almost immediately. That seems more important than flashing pure athleticism. Allen's first start was a bit worrying from this perspective, although certainly we need to give him half a season or so to make this call. Again, no knock on him, but he didn't show that immediate ability to adapt to the NFL game that we've seen in a number of other successful QBs. (Goff may be an exception here ...)

Edited by The Frankish Reich

10 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Just look at where Bortles is now, with a strong team around him. His first few years in the league, people were calling him a bust. 

Allen is a lot more talented than Bortles. Give him a good supporting cast, and it's obvious he will flourish. 

One of the things that Bortles does now, is something Allen should adopt - Bortles has this way of stepping forward in the pocket and throwing even while it looks for all the world like he's about to run. 

I said this in pre-season and I'll say it for a long time. If we are lucky, we'll see a ton of those 4th down boondoggles over the next 15 years. It is who he is - he is a hero in his own mind. If the talent approaches the image he'll still throw 25 interceptions in a bad year.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Flacco took a while to develop too (some would say he never really did develop with the exception of that uncharacteristically great playoff/Super Bowl run). With 4 years + 1 option year, I just don't know about these "project" passers under the current CBA. No knock on Allen; I'm still relatively high on him. But will he emerge as a finished product before his contract runs out? Before the Bills have to decide whether to exercise that pricey 5th year option?

I'm cautiously optimistic, the tools are there but will he step up or step back as teams collect film on him? Could be Paxton Lynch, could be Cam Newton. It all depends on if he develops mentally and keeps his composure.

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, the tools are there but will he step up or step back as teams collect film on him? Could be Paxton Lynch, could be Cam Newton. It all depends on if he develops mentally and keeps his composure.

Agreed. The way the schedule works, we will learn a lot more when the Packers-Titans-Texans (depending on who's healthy/playing on the Texans D)-Colts part of the schedule rolls around. Next week, I think we'll see a very tentative Allen vs. the Vikes defense. Just a tough time for him to have to take over as QB right now, but that's on McBeane and Peterman, not on Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

EDIT: my other issue - my impression is that what separates future top-rank QBs from the others (the busts as well as the solid starters) is the ability to recognize defenses and to respond immediately. Think about the recent success stories who started as rookies: Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott ... they all seemed to "get it" almost immediately. That seems more important than flashing pure athleticism. Allen's first start was a bit worrying from this perspective, although certainly we need to give him half a season or so to make this call. Again, no knock on him, but he didn't show that immediate ability to adapt to the NFL game that we've seen in a number of other successful QBs. (Goff may be an exception here ...)

Get it right , get it right away... that was his very first game as a starter, 5 and a half quarters. Damn people are impatient.

Dak had a superb OLine his first year, no fair comparison. Wentz is awesome but you know, surrounded by Superbowl quality talent. Wilson and Watson, OK, fair. Still, it was the first game of a guy supposedly not ready. We waited for Tyrod to finally grasp throwing with anticipation, over the middle, etc. and it never happened. So maybe Josh will reach his ceiling fast... but give the kid a chance.

I can't believe all the negative Nancys (not the post quoted) on here saying he is a bust already! Are you mad? You just come to spew vomit? GTFO with that non-sense. If he is a bust, it's not from this game anyone will know it. Not anyone can know from this one game. He looked like a rookie that belongs in the NFL. What more you expect at this stage with his surrounding cast, really?

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Color me shocked that the same people who've hated the pick since day 1 are still hating on it.

I thought he looked great as the game went on. Obviously he isn’t picking up blitzes like a veteran but who would expect that? Anyone without an agenda knew this would be the case. 

The fire ire he showed after scoring the touchdown is something that’s been lacking in Buffalo for years. If the rest of the team wasn’t such **** the discussion would be different. 

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

Get it right , get it right away... that was his very first game as a starter, 5 and a half quarters. Damn people are impatient.

Dak had a superb OLine his first year, no fair comparison. Wentz is awesome but you know, surrounded by Superbowl quality talent. Wilson and Watson, OK, fair. Still, it was the first game of a guy supposedly not ready. We waited for Tyrod to finally grasp throwing with anticipation, over the middle, etc. and it never happened. So maybe Josh will reach his ceiling fast... but give the kid a chance.

I can't believe all the negative Nancys (not the post quoted) on here saying he is a bust already! Are you mad? You just come to spew vomit? GTFO with that non-sense. If he is a bust, it's not from this game anyone will know it. Not anyone can know from this one game. He looked like a rookie that belongs in the NFL. What more you expect at this stage with his surrounding cast, really?

Hey, I'm not negative at all about him! I think he'll be a good starter, with a reasonable chance of emerging as a star. My question is whether WE (Bills management/Bills fans) will have the patience to suffer through what will likely be an extended growth period. I hope I'm wrong and he breaks out as a big-time NFL QB before the end of the year. But I don't think that's likely, and I'm simply pointing out that with some of these other guys it WAS immediate and obvious that their teams had found a franchise QB.

Just watched a video of his highlights. Florence killed our satellite reception and internet connection. We missed the TD at the end of both halves?

He does look like he has considerable potential. Happy with what I saw from a rookie.

He did have stupid Ints which is to be expected. He also is visibly not mentally processing/ over thinking . He needs to learn to trust himself and I think he will.

He also needs to learn to step up into the pocket as a first step. It seemed he was moving laterally when he had space in front of him causing a couple sacks unnecessarily.

Considering what a rag tag bunch of “ help” he has and crappy route designs Daboll seems to employ it was pretty impressive.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Hey, I'm not negative at all about him! I think he'll be a good starter, with a reasonable chance of emerging as a star. My question is whether WE (Bills management/Bills fans) will have the patience to suffer through what will likely be an extended growth period. I hope I'm wrong and he breaks out as a big-time NFL QB before the end of the year. But I don't think that's likely, and I'm simply pointing out that with some of these other guys it WAS immediate and obvious that their teams had found a franchise QB.

Fair. But let's see what Watson does this year. As for Dak and Zak, it's the media making them superstars because their OLine was so damn dominant. I don't think they suddenly went from studs to average because of 2nd year blues or whatever, or the defense "figured them out". Their Oline was really that good. I recall a a game when they ran down the middle for 8-10 yards a play, and the coaches still had to outsmart themselves and throw a pass. 

Mahomes has killed it today, but it's fairplay to think what Allen could do with a year on the bench, with good coaches, solid Oline and offensive weapons. 

Anyway, point is, no way for now to anoint Josh "THE GUY" and certainly not saying he's a bust!

2 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Fair. But let's see what Watson does this year. As for Dak and Zak, it's the media making them superstars because their OLine was so damn dominant. I don't think they suddenly went from studs to average because of 2nd year blues or whatever, or the defense "figured them out". Their Oline was really that good. I recall a a game when they ran down the middle for 8-10 yards a play, and the coaches still had to outsmart themselves and throw a pass. 

Mahomes has killed it today, but it's fairplay to think what Allen could do with a year on the bench, with good coaches, solid Oline and offensive weapons. 

Anyway, point is, no way for now to anoint Josh "THE GUY" and certainly not saying he's a bust!

OK, no argument there. I don't like how we got to the point of having to start Allen virtually right away (after one half game), but I'm fine with the result - given the 4 year rookie contracts, you can't really lose a whole year of QB development. Unless, of course, you're Andy Reid, in which case it seems just fine ...

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I thought he looked great as the game went on. Obviously he isn’t picking up blitzes like a veteran but who would expect that? Anyone without an agenda knew this would be the case. 

The fire ire he showed after scoring the touchdown is something that’s been lacking in Buffalo for years. If the rest of the team wasn’t such **** the discussion would be different. 

I know its the QB's job to pick up blitzes but a good O-line will help in that regard too. The Cowboys center would make the protection calls for Dak in his rookie year for the most part and it resulted in good protection. Not making an excuse for Allen, but I am saying that the supporting cast particularly on the O-line isn't doing Allen any favors. 

I wasn't initially on the Allen train (I wanted Rosen) but I have pseudo come around to him as a QB prospect. To all the idiots saying Allen is a bust (He might be but it's his first !@#$ing start) or that his ceiling is an above average QB you could not be any more up your own ass. 

Allen has literally the first or second strongest arm in the league, he is a 6 foot 5 mobile QB with Big hands and all the intellect and intangibles/work ethic you would want from a QB. Yes he needs to work on his decision making but there are few rookie QB's that don't, yes he needs to work on his footwork and that might ultimately lead to his accuracy issues but he is a hard working guy at least you know he will put in the effort. 

If Allen finds his footwork look out because he has top 5 QB potential. Now that's not to say he will find his footwork or that his accuracy issues will iron themselves out but rather that it has the potential to in a realistic manner. The future is still uncertain with this kid but at least the sky is the limit. 

• Like (+1) 3