Josh is rough around the edges but man kid has potential

30 minutes ago, DrDonut said:

Accuracy problems? Besides the throw to Demarco I thought he was fine

Overall a good effort for a rookie, playing against a good defense with a bad OL and bad receivers. 

The accuracy questions are very real …  he missed a few easy ones, especially a few short ones,  and throwing behind his receivers on occasion.

Obviously he was playing under big pressure as our OL is putrid.  I like the leadership he showed.

Edited by Bob in STL

Development is going to take time and that’s ok. Rich Gannon gave such a great analogy to being a new qb. He equated it to being a new driver. At first, you’re just so concerned with the car in front of you. After a while, you start noticing the car in front and back of you.  As time goes on, you notice the car getting ready to turn left, the pedestrian crossing the road, and are anticipating what the traffic around you is doing.  It takes game time/driving time to figure it out. 

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The flaws he has always shown are still prevalent.  

Most disconcerting is his accuracy, which remains a problem.

The narrative in pre-season was that he was improving in that area with better footwork.

That almost never works.

I disagree. One of his biggest problems in college was hitting the dink and dunk passes, screens and swings. He was perfect on those today. In college you would see throws where it was hard to understand how he missed it, and today he didn't miss any easy throws. He did miss a few intermediate throws, but if you didn't expect a rookie in his first start to miss some passes, I don't know what to tell you. It was mostly ball placement that worried me and that will get better over time. 

29 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Positives

Stands tall in the pocket and is not phased by the rush

Goes through his progressions

Can make any throw 

Mobility and toughness

Isn’t Nate Peterman

Negatives

Doesn’t recognize pre-snap looks (shifts, blitzes, protection adjustments)

Footwork regressed today

Drifts sideways under pressure instead of stepping up into a muddy pocket

Doesnt trust his eyes - waits too long to make throws to open receivers 

Mental clock is still too slow

Accuracy remains an issue 

Good assement. Once he sees the tape, hopefully he starts to learn how to recognize pressure before it happens and make the necessary adjustments. That's advanced stuff that I don't expect him to be proficient at just yet, but he needs to notice the obvious things like a safety standing on the LOS. He's a smart kid, I don't think it will be a long term problem. 

As for his pocket presence, the "stepping up" move that great quarterbacks do is to avoid the pressure that usually comes on the edge, and takes advantage of the tackles that won't have as much penetration. But with two pee wee caliber guards and a center that gets blown backwards quite a lot, I don't think he has that available to him very often. Not sure yet, I'll have to watch the all 22 to be sure about that one. I'm at least glad he gave us something to be genuinely excited about in the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The narrative in pre-season was that he was improving in that area with better footwork.

That almost never works.

Even on completed passes his ball placement is really bad.

What's worse is that the first 4 games are the easiest for a rookie QB to look good before DCs find tendencies. Carson Wentz looked amazing his first 4 games...the rest of the year not so much.

By mid year if he doesn't improve he will look really really bad.

Edited by matter2003
  • Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Really liked what I saw the game wasn’t to big for him just keeps needing more and more reps with his receivers 

There is so much to criticize ---- 2 interceptions (the 1st being particularly ugly), horrible ball placement limiting yac, ugly duck throws (like the complete to Jones), misread blitzes, decision making in general .......

But you watch the kid play and it is obvious he is a total gamer.  He is also only 22 years old.  He has the raw material to grow into a special player.

I am very much in the bring him along slowly camp and am very critical of Bills management of not having a vet QB to mentor him and serve as nominal starter until Josh is ready.

That said I enjoy watching the kid.  It is only one game, but he does not have the sane deer in the headlights look that Peterman gets.

I took more positive out of this game than negative.

As long we  can keep him healthy .... those sacks added up pretty healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Overall a good effort for a rookie, playing against a good defense with a bad OL and bad receivers. 

The accuracy questions are very real …  he missed a few easy ones, especially a few short ones,  and throwing behind his receivers on occasion.

Obviously he was playing under big pressure as our OL is putrid.  I like the leadership he showed.

No doubt the OL is putrid, but that does not lead to total duress every time Josh throws the football.

There were plenty of plays where it was fair to judge Josh based on what he was in control of.  Things are not totally out of his control on all plays, though many here like to suggest that is the case.

Obviously if pass blocking is blown on a given play and Josh is immediately under duress, that play should be thrown out in terms of evaluating Josh.  But there are many others where he can be judged.

He is not anticipating open receivers, he is throwing way late consistently, and his ball placement/accuracy is pretty bad.  

These are the things he will need to improve and will be interesting to follow throughout the year.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That almost never works.

Like not getting time, can’t establish a run game, mediocre WRs... yep just like Wyoming.

Solidify the Oline, get him a true #1 WR and a young talented RB... that’s when you’ll see things change. But that’s the 2020 season at the soonest.

Be patient this year.

Pretty much what I expected. There is a lot of hope for him. He missed a few he shouldn't have, clearly held the ball too long at time, didn't always make good reads. But there was a lot to like. Our WR and our OL is the very worst in the league. 32. Our run game cannot really get going, partly because our defense stinks too. We get crappy field position. Considering all of that he did pretty good. The next two weeks are going to be more of the same. Really tough games. 

33 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Now just think how this kid would have looked with quality offensive linemen who know how to block properly and know their responsibilities.  

It's hard enough to watch those O linemen whiff on blocks. It's quite another to see them block the wrong man so a defender comes free and untouched. 

McCoy getting tackled in the backfield as soon as he touches the ball at times. The Bills receiver corps is another sad story. 

It's hard for any QB to play well with no run game, let alone a rookie in his first ever start. Defenses aren't going to stack the box against Allen so I don't know why we had so much trouble.

41 minutes ago, The Red King said:

He was a project.  And he wasn't given enough time to bake in the oven.  I liked what I saw.  Still areas that need work, but that's why he's got another 14+ games to develop.  He was never meant to light up the league this year.  This year is to set him up to do so next season.

I don't get the negativity.  Rook has a horrid line, terrible receivers, and still looks promising in his first start.  I honestly think his biggest critics here are bashing him because they're upset we didn't get Mahomes or Darnold instead.

The most germane post I've seen so far on Allen.

Watching Goff make some inaccurate throws... and Bob Woods and Kupp making great catches. QB accuracy is not all on the QB. I was not an Allen fan when he was picked but I think he showed promise today, especially with his willing to stand in there and make throws. Maybe I've been so oversaturated with TT and EJ setting off to run at the first sign of trouble. Kids got the guts necessary to be successful in this league. The rest you hope he can improve on. 

One thing that's stunning today, from maybe 20 or so years ago (when I was a kid!), is that patience from fans and owners seems to be non-existent. In a QB-driven league with a deficit of good QBs, no one seems to want to be patient. Everyone expects every QB to be excellent from day one. Just not the reality for all. Heard on the radio today Manning had 28 INTs his first season. I think Aikman and Kelly had 3 wins. 

And unfortunately for Allen, he doesn't have the hand-sy guys like a Woods and an OL that could get him killed. Hard for the game to slow down, for perfect progressions, and great footwork on all throws. And reading the D pre-snap.... no one is good at that with 6 quarters of NFL regular season action. Takes time. 

I'd be interested, after a game and a half, if these national (and of course local and TBD) experts can discern any improvement in his footwork/mechanics. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

His flat feet was the reason for that underthrow on that 2nd INT.

Im interested to see how Daboll can help him correct that if he can at all.

I think it is possible Allen's footwork can improve with experience as I think the game will slow down for him as he starts more. 

• Like (+1) 1