Josh is rough around the edges but man kid has potential

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Do you ever tolerate an opinion different from yours?  Like, has that ever once happened?

Yes, when they're reasonable.

Problem is, virtually no one here is reasonable the past few weeks.

Guys like TYTT I disagree with daily, but I respect his opinions since they're at least well thought out.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The flaws he has always shown are still prevalent.  

Most disconcerting is his accuracy, which remains a problem.

The narrative in pre-season was that he was improving in that area with better footwork.

That almost never works.

You're and your opinions as usual are clueless. Take a breather maybe you're burning out spending your life on here. 

• Like (+1) 2

Honestly, I think he was exactly what the tape says he is.  He's got a huge arm, pretty good athleticism, and is pretty tough.  He also needs to work on accuracy and is going to need a bunch of time to adjust to the NFL.  He has very little feel for pre-snap reads and using those to throw timing routes.  That will likely come with experience (lots).

Given how bad the team is as a whole, and the complete failure of Peterman, I think this time in the game is invaluable to Allen.  I don't expect much, but it will all help in year 2+ as the team is built around him.

One more thing, he HAS to stop pulling the ball down, turning and running sideways to the LOS.  This is where the NFL defensive speed is KILLING him.  I know the Oline sucks and is putting him in bad positions, but he has to keep his eyes down field, body in position to throw, and move sideways.  As soon as he pulls that ball down and starts to turn, the defense has already closed.

Edited by Acantha
  • Like (+1) 6

I think the kid is going to be a real gamer.  Lots to work on, but the kid has almost nothing to work with either at WR or on the OL.  So nothing is going to be easy, but I like the kids potential even though I do expect there to be plenty of ups and downs this year.  I just hope the kid doesn't get killed by the Vikes D

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Without considering how much we have invested in him etc. and just looking at his performance today:

I think that we at least have reason to be hopeful about Josh's potential.  The stat line was not great, but I think we saw enough to remain cautiously optimistic.  He played pretty well under very difficult circumstances. The Bills braintrust has not done him any favors (re line or receiving weapons).  He showed toughness and will need to be.

I have no idea whether Josh will be a "franchise" QB, but we do have reason to at least be hopeful about his potential.

yes

He was a project.  And he wasn't given enough time to bake in the oven.  I liked what I saw.  Still areas that need work, but that's why he's got another 14+ games to develop.  He was never meant to light up the league this year.  This year is to set him up to do so next season.

I don't get the negativity.  Rook has a horrid line, terrible receivers, and still looks promising in his first start.  I honestly think his biggest critics here are bashing him because they're upset we didn't get Mahomes or Darnold instead.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, The Red King said:

He was a project.  And he wasn't given enough time to bake in the oven.  I liked what I saw.  Still areas that need work, but that's why he's got another 14+ games to develop.  He was never meant to light up the league this year.  This year is to set him up to do so next season.

I don't get the negativity.  Rook has a horrid line, terrible receivers, and still looks promising in his first start.  I honestly think his biggest critics here are bashing him because they're upset we didn't get Mahomes or Darnold instead.

I don’t see much negativity...