[Edited Title] Patrick Mahomes Looks Great

Wizard

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to [Edit Title] Patrick Mahomes Looks Great
  • Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to [Edited Title] Patrick Mahomes Looks Great
17 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

He has a line, receivers and time to learn behind an established QB.  

And so could anyone in Buffalo if the Bills actually thought that those things were important and were good at talent evaluation

- they let WRs go to FA (Woods, Goodwin), traded them (Watkins), and picked up poor replacements (Matthews, Benjamin, and Jones) - BTW I was fine with Goodwin and Watkins moves (Watkins isn't as good as advertised and they sold as high as they could - which was pretty good haul).  The vets the brought in were both coming off significant injuries, and the rookie they drafted with a high pick is Cra-Zay

- they didn't address interior line that was aging at the time of the 2017 draft, and then retired (albeit unexpectedly in Wood's case and somewhat predictably in Incognito's case) after the 2017 season

- in 2017 they hired an OL line coach that has a pretty uninspiring track record before the OC, and then hired a poor choice at OC, after the season they fired the OC and kept the OL coach (where many of the issues with the Offense came from).

- In 2018 they hired an OC with a very bad resume as an OC in the NFL, only having success as a TE coach and co-OC for the two most established teams - New England and Alabama (neither have missed a beat without him) - and who knows how much control he actually has, because he certainly had to accept the OL coach as part of his staff.

- they had two Tackles that could have anchored the line in 2018, they traded one of them for a draft pick right before the draft

-they didn't address the interior line until the 5th round of the draft this past draft and signed bottom of the barrel free agents

-they traded away an established starter at QB to learn behind for a third round pick, and signed a guy that had 4 starts in his NFL career, then traded him for a 5th round pick leaving only Allen and a 2nd year guy who had two starts that were underwhelming.

So could their have been a better situation for a young QB in Buffalo?  Yes. Instead they made many moves to make that situation worse.  But they have money next year, right?  I can't wait for them to stop playing it coy and show us how smart they are with FA and draft picks - I know they are just playing 'possum. 

Edited by Ayjent

13 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Peterman 10 quarters = entire NFL career = WOAT

The hypocrisy on this board is disgusting.  A lot of these people are the same from the old BBMB and the quality of posts, homerism, and lack of logic has followed to this board. 

This place has gone downhill since those BBMB have crossed over here.   What a shame. 

NIMBY

16 minutes ago, dpberr said:

He won't be All-Madden come October and the Chiefs will grind to a halt.  

Just like Fitzmagic, once the defense has enough "tape" to pour over,  things go downhill.  

What kinda tape ?

The one that shows how to stop a guy whose playing like Randall Cunningham on techno bowl ? 

Unless the run game falls apart, Mahomes will be just fine.   

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Mahomes, Watson, Rosen will be rightfully tied to McD's regime and his ability to evaluate QBs.

I wonder if they will be anchors or buoys - looking like anchors with 2/3 right now, but still some time for it all to shake out. 

All is well is Allen turns out to be a stud, but going to be an uphill climb for him with the cast around him.  Especially, considering the relative cost in draft capital compared to how they could have handled the position and OL in front of him. - Allen was the most expensive option for the Bills.  The overall cost for the Bills moving up from 21 to 7 was (Cordy Glenn, No. 21 pick, and two second round picks (No. 53 and No. 56)).  They could have kept Cordy Glenn, had one pretty nice 2nd round pickto address improving the line, and had Mahomes or Watson to sit behind Tyrod for a year with a better line (all hindsight I understand, but that is a much better situation for a QB to succeed and was certainly within the realm of possibility).  Yeah, maybe you don't have Tre White and Tre Edmunds, but they created those holes they need to fill too.

I wasn't a big fan of them moving up for Allen and drafting him at all, but he's shown to be better than I thought he would be so far.  His accuracy yesterday on wide open throws and time he takes in the pocket are concerning, but there were some good things to like as well - he definitely pushed the ball down the field and isn't shy about going for the big play.

Edited by Ayjent

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

And Dak Prescott.

I love how Bills fans immediately discount Prescott and Watson without mentioning that even at their 2018 level of performance so far, either/both of them would be the best QB we’ve had in a decade and a half. And that’s with room to grow for both. Prescott just turned 25. Watson is younger than Josh Allen. I would give my left but to have either of them as the Bills QB right now. 

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I love how Bills fans immediately discount Prescott and Watson without mentioning that even at their 2018 level of performance so far, either/both of them would be the best QB we’ve had in a decade and a half. And that’s with room to grow for both. Prescott just turned 25. Watson is younger than Josh Allen. I would give my left but to have either of them as the Bills QB right now. 

I'm not discounting anything on Watson.  His 2018 hasn't started like a lot expected but it's still only 2 games in.

I'm a little more down on Prescott.  He wasn't good last year and this year isn't looking good....so far.  

It's only 2 games so far this year but I am more confident in Watson coming back than Prescott.  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He had a great game. KC has a great offense. I suggest waiting at least 8 games before declaring him a great QB, when opposing DC will have enough tape of him. Look at Deshaun Watson.

You all know I am biased, but as far as Watson goes, the box score stats he put up last year were very good.  He was chucking balls downfield and his talented WR were making plays on the ball.  You might argue Mahomes is benefitting from throwing to talented targets, making plays on the ball.

This is NOT the case.  Watson is the same QB he was last year.  He makes one read and either throws or looks to run.  Last year when he did throw, he had a lot of bad passes get caught by his guys.  He had a ton of turnovers last year as well.  This year, he is the same guy, the luck on the bad passes just hasn’t been there, and he is still turnover prone.

Not only do the box score stats shine for Mahomes, if you watch the film, he goes through reads, he stands in the pocket.  He keeps his eyes downfield even as pressure comes at him, and he throws accurately and has touch at the appropriate time.

when D coordinators go to look at the film they’ll see this and do what?  Blitz?  He has ice cold blood, he’ll stand tall and find the open man (he has insane rating under pressure). Drop 8?  He’ll audible to a run or RPO.  Mahomes on the range > Greatest show on turf.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

You all know I am biased, but as far as Watson goes, the box score stats he put up last year were very good.  He was chucking balls downfield and his talented WR were making plays on the ball.  You might argue Mahomes is benefitting from throwing to talented targets, making plays on the ball.

This is NOT the case.  Watson is the same QB he was last year.  He makes one read and either throws or looks to run.  Last year when he did throw, he had a lot of bad passes get caught by his guys.  He had a ton of turnovers last year as well.  This year, he is the same guy, the luck on the bad passes just hasn’t been there, and he is still turnover prone.

Not only do the box score stats shine for Mahomes, if you watch the film, he goes through reads, he stands in the pocket.  He keeps his eyes downfield even as pressure comes at him, and he throws accurately and has touch at the appropriate time.

when D coordinators go to look at the film they’ll see this and do what?  Blitz?  He has ice cold blood, he’ll stand tall and find the open man (he has insane rating under pressure). Drop 8?  He’ll audible to a run or RPO.  Mahomes on the range > Greatest show on turf.

could not have said it better my self. Those Mahomes haters are now in a state of denial and are in hiding. There all cowards you guys talked all that smack last year, saying mahomes would amount to nothing to more then a back up and that he would be a bust. Your wrong, now stand up and take your medicine. 

Edited by 17 Josh Allen

21 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

He has a line, receivers and time to learn behind an established QB.  

So, if we drafted him last year, why couldn't he have had the same things? Sit behind Tyrod, don't trade Sammy because you have a QB now, and use draft picks, free agency to fill up the holes. 

The bottom line is, this FO created a lot of holes to obtain draft capital for a QB, when they could have just taken Mahomes last year, without creating more holes...