Week 2: Bills vs. Chargers Postgame - Problems with the Process

26CornerBlitz

I just watched the second half. Allen did not look very good. He missed a lot of throws, and even the ones caught were often way off target. He really looked very inaccurate. And he had a lot of time to throw and still missed his receivers. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

1 - McDermott took over the defense at halftime. Glad he stepped up and did something. 

2 - Allen was a bit rough, but the leadership and potential there was exciting. 

This game actually gave me hope. Allen threw for 245 yards in his debut, which is more than we've seen in probably 2 years 

Just re watched parts of the game and really liked somethings about Allen.  He was going threw his progressions and eyes always downfield.  Yes it wasnt perfect..when he had time he seemed a little tentative at times but that could have been cause his recievers were all covered...cant see the whole field on TV.  

This kid has very little to work with and still put up 245 yards.  And eventhough he under threw that deep ball to Zay he was still able to make a play on the ball.  Nice to see the long bomb again.

We need to go get him a true number one target...someone he can build chemistry with and trust.  And of course some olineman.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 2: Bills vs. Chargers Postgame - Problems with the Process
5 hours ago, Steptide said:

This season we may not have more than 2 wins. This is probably the 1st time in 8 years that I litterally don't care that we lost. The point of the post was that Allen looks like he has the potential to be our long term qb and that McDermott took leadership and took over the defense 

Me too.  I didnt care at all that we lost.  A good franchise qb is with your team for 15 years, I know the wins will come if Josh keeps improving.  He's a gamer and he showed today he's tough and strong.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I'm going to give some of the credit for last season to the name which must not be spoken on TBD: Whaley. He and his team identified, scouted and evaluated all those FAs. I'm sure McDermott made the final calls but don't underestimate the value that Whaley provided to finding good FAs; something that he's always been very good at.

I am really tired of how the majority on this board use Whaley as a whipping boy. On the basis of what we've seen so far, he had a far better eye for free agent talent than Beane. 

5 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Didn't really see many "Daboll-wrinkles" in this offense today...

Really? I felt like I did. Mostly things Josh did but I imagine he was coached into them.

Thinks like the pump fakes, shoulder feints, selling the play action, the little Allen 'swat' to Foster.

Also designed QB runs, and multiple misdirections on a few plays.

I was very disappointed that he didn't have Allen rip it more, though. Maybe it's just the terrible OL not giving him time, but when you get the "strong armed guy", you have to show it off. DBs hear about Josh's big arm, but you need to show it to them. There were several times Josh hit the top of his drop, set his feet, and had time to really let it go- but there was either nobody open or he didn't see them open.

Sal's Sticks: Chargers at Bills

Orchard Park, NY (WGR550) - The Bills fell to 0-2 here at New Era Field Sunday afternoon after a 31-20 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers.  Another rough loss and that means, again, I start with the negatives.

BEHIND THE STICKS
CB Vontae Davis
Running game
First half run defense
Pass defense
Not downing punt inside 5 yard line
Offensive line
RB/PR Marcus Murphy
Third down offense
LB Tremaine Edmunds' pass coverage
Officials

AHEAD OF THE STICKS
QB Josh Allen
Third quarter defense
LB Lorenzo Alexander
DE Jerry Hughes

THE BIG PICTURE
Going into this game, I felt most Bills fans would come out feeling o.k. even with a loss if Josh Allen looked good and gave a reason to be hopeful.  Did he do enough to satisfy that?  That’s open to everyone’s own interpretation.  But with every loss, this season becomes more about developing Allen and building a roster and offensive philosophy around him more than it does about wins and losses.  We aren’t at that point yet.  But at 0-2 and the Vikings an Packers on the horizon, it feels like that’s getting close.

The more disturbing part of the first two games is that the Bills’ defense has given up 78 points.  The head coach made his name and career coaching that side of the ball and for that group to have as many issues as they have so far is a mystery.  Sean McDermott took over the defensive play-calling duties from Leslie Frazier Sunday.  Whether it had something to do with it or not, they certainly played better in the second half.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz