Week 2: Bills vs. Chargers Postgame - Problems with the Process

26CornerBlitz

Just now, Big C said:

True enough.

The D was much better in the second half in any case. Wonder if the Chargers took their foot off the gas or if the D just stepped way the hell up.

Yes the D was much better second half.  I don't think they took their foot off the gas.  At least not in the third quarter they didn't. 

1 - McDermott took over the defense at halftime. Glad he stepped up and did something. 

2 - Allen was a bit rough, but the leadership and potential there was exciting. 

This game actually gave me hope. Allen threw for 245 yards in his debut, which is more than we've seen in probably 2 years 

• Like (+1) 12

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Josh Allen showed signs of promise in making a 57-yard completion to Zay Jones and by leading Buffalo on two touchdown drives, but ultimately he was not good enough to overcome a poor defensive effort in his starting debut, a 31-20 loss Sunday to the Chargers. Coach Sean McDermott must face increasing questions about his defense as the Bills travel to play four of their next five games on the road, including next Sunday in Minnesota. The status of LeSean McCoy could be in doubt for that game after he injured his ribs in the second half of Sunday's game, played one snap and later was announced as questionable to return.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Melvin Gordon matched a career high by scoring three touchdowns, and the Los Angeles Chargers defeated Buffalo 31-20 in manhandling the anemic Bills during rookie quarterback Josh Allen's debut as a starter.

Gordon scored on a 20-yard run and added two touchdowns receiving before limping off the field after appearing to hurt his left leg early in the fourth quarter.

The Chargers did not have an update on Gordon's status after he was evaluated in a tent on the sideline.

Gordon finished with just 28 yards rushing and six catches for 38 yards in his second three-TD game. He had two touchdowns rushing and one receiving in a 33-30 win at Atlanta on Oct. 23, 2016.
Rivers finished 23 of 27 for 256 and three touchdowns as the Chargers (1-1) rebounded from a 38-28 season-opening loss to Kansas City last weekend.

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

1 - McDermott took over the defense at halftime. Glad he stepped up and did something. 

2 - Allen was a bit rough, but the leadership and potential there was exciting. 

This game actually gave me hope. Allen threw for 245 yards in his debut, which is more than we've seen in probably 2 years 

Great post.  This is going to be a difficult year for fans, but there was a lot to be encouraged with .  Do you think McDermott will continue to call the defensive plays the remainder of the season?   If so, are Frasier's days numbered?

Just now, Warcodered said:

You get away with it when you come in with a plan to gut the team and rebuild it.

You have to gut it to the point of this?  Ok.  Let's see what happens next year.  How many years btw are you willing to watch this inadequacy? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You have to gut it to the point of this?  Ok.  Let's see what happens next year.  How many years btw are you willing to watch this inadequacy? 

Next year there needs to be serious improvement on the team talent wise. I'd like them to do well that year but I'd accept a middle of the road year as the team has to get in sync with a bunch of new guys. Year after that though they need to be good.

Edited by Warcodered

For the very 1st game of his career, Allen played well. He made some mistakes but he has to learn somehow. This year might be rough but the future is bright. The Bills never ending QB search is over. Give Josh a better line and a game breaking WR and look out NFL. 

Edited by Tatonka68
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

McDermott needs to just take over the Defense like I said last week. Fire this complete waste Fraiser and name some token “DC” but let Mcd run the show. He took over the playcalling in the second half and magically we got pressure and stops. Fraiser is terrible and needs to be fired Monday.

If that’s the case I agree let Clappy continue calling the plays. Defense looked completely different. Sometimes it’s just best for the team, same thing happened when Rex let the defense go to the coordinators, fell apart.