Did Vontae Davis retire at halftime? Yes, yes he did!

YoloinOhio

Please, there is no excuse for what Davis did...none.At worst, he could have returned to the field even if he had made up his mind to retire.He could have done so after the game. He could have been there to support his teammates. He could've given advice on technique,etc. to the younger guys. What he did is selfish and inconsiderate. Employees in all fields make these decisions all the time, be it to retire,switch jobs,re-locate for family reasons, and whatever. But most, I'd garner almost all, are courteous enough and respectfull enough of their soon to be former employers to give their two-week notice. What Davis did was bail on a teamafter realizing they had no chance of glory in the near term. He didn't want to risk injury or have his name linked to the 2018 Bills,because he knew what the likely season outcome was to be. What he did was quit,flat out quit, and then he tried to cover himself with a lame ass excuse.Pathetic, Mr. Davis,hopefully you won't give this same fatherly advice to your children, and hopefully, too,the Captain of your next flight won't make the same decision at 30,000 ft.

On 9/17/2018 at 6:20 PM, Mr. WEO said:

How much are they paying Coleman and Davis now?

Coleman $2.9M (was $3.5M, Patriots get $0.6M now)

Davis, should wind up with about $700k.  He should have to repay about $1.36M of his $1.5M signing bonus (14.5/16ths).

We paid him a workout bonus which is his to keep, plus he gets 14.5/16ths of his $2.25M salary and $46k per game active roster bonus.

The CBA, as I understand it, is pretty cut-and-dried on what happens when a player retires in-season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Coleman $2.9M (was $3.5M, Patriots get $0.6M now)

Davis, should wind up with about $700k.  He should have to repay about $1.36M of his $1.5M signing bonus (14.5/16ths).

We paid him a workout bonus which is his to keep, plus he gets 14.5/16ths of his $2.25M salary and $46k per game active roster bonus.

The CBA, as I understand it, is pretty cut-and-dried on what happens when a player retires in-season.

Are there precedents for how they apply the CBA on in-season unexpected retirements?

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Are there precedents for how they apply the CBA on in-season unexpected retirements?

"When a player retires, the team has the option to pursue the return of a portion of the signing bonus equal to the unplayed portions of the contract, and that money is no longer counted against the salary cap. This is typically done through an arbitrator. This is known as the "Barry Sanders Rule" because this is exactly how the situation played out in his case, as he was required to pay back a portion of his bonus. The difference between now and then is there was no precedent when Sanders played; now, it's explicitly written into the CBA to allow for this arbitration."

No team guarantees a players salary for retirement.  That's why Woods very carefully didn't retire during his presser.  His salary was guaranteed for injury, but if he'd retired, Welp then.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"When a player retires, the team has the option to pursue the return of a portion of the signing bonus equal to the unplayed portions of the contract, and that money is no longer counted against the salary cap. This is typically done through an arbitrator. This is known as the "Barry Sanders Rule" because this is exactly how the situation played out in his case, as he was required to pay back a portion of his bonus. The difference between now and then is there was no precedent when Sanders played; now, it's explicitly written into the CBA to allow for this arbitration."

No team guarantees a players salary for retirement.  That's why Woods very carefully didn't retire during his presser.  His salary was guaranteed for injury, but if he'd retired, Welp then.

Thanks HBF, i was wondering if a given team has the ability to weigh the situation case by case and sometimes let things go if they are merit it.

Not for this case, hopefully.

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Thanks HBF, i was wondering if a given team has the ability to weigh the situation case by case and sometimes let things go if they are merit it.

Not for this case, hopefully.

Yes, absolutely, that's why it's left as a process for arbitration.  If a team doesn't file for arbitration, the player retires with his bonus.  I'm pretty sure when OLman John Urschel (Canisius grad!) retired last summer, the Ravens did not seek repayment of his bonus.  The amount remaining was pretty small ($40k-ish) so they might not have considered it worthwhile; Urshal was a 5th-round pick who played 40 games for them (started 13) so they may have figured they'd gotten their money's worth.  It was still a nice gesture.

There was also a player (a 49ers LB I think, and perhaps ) who retired early and voluntarily repaid the prorated portion of his bonus. 

It's my understanding the Bills have already applied for and received a 'roster exemption' for Davis, and indicated that they will file for arbitration on his bonus.

OH Boo F***g Hoo......cry me a river loser.....okay so it kinda sounds like he got a spiritual awakening of sorts in the middle of a football game (for whatever reason)......well does the same spirit tell you to do the right thing and give back every cent you conned out of this organization??

I have no ill will toward Vontae Davis. I wish him well in his retirement. 

As long as he files his retirement papers and hands over that signing bonus money, I’m totally over what he did (and I don’t really see any other option, since he admitted he was just done, not injured). 

• Like (+1) 2

He says it’s all about how he feels....

But it’s a team game...

I don’t think he gets it, but it’s done so time to move on..

Maybe we should make this the last  thread about this dude... don’t really know what else he can say and I think everyone has made up their minds by now about how they feel about him..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

This struck me as very odd and probably tells you where his head was at.

For Davis, that game-day morning felt no different from any of the others he had experienced in his nine previous NFL seasons. Waking up in a hotel, eating, reviewing notes, “I felt normal,” he said.

Why the hell did he wake up in a hotel for the home opener? Unless this is just really poorly written that tells me he was already checked out (possibly literally).

3 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

This struck me as very odd and probably tells you where his head was at.

For Davis, that game-day morning felt no different from any of the others he had experienced in his nine previous NFL seasons. Waking up in a hotel, eating, reviewing notes, “I felt normal,” he said.

Why the hell did he wake up in a hotel for the home opener? Unless this is just really poorly written that tells me he was already checked out (possibly literally).

Most teams stay in a hotel the night before home games too. I think it's part of a routine.

• Like (+1) 1