Did Vontae Davis retire at halftime? Yes, yes he did!

YoloinOhio

The crappy thing with Vontae isn’t that he left the team short handed—we can agree that he wasn’t contributing all that much.  It’s the message it sends to his teammates (like Lorax) who are still out there, in a bad spot, getting embarrassed, but still fighting.  Vontae, in effect, says “I don’t need this **** show—I’m outta here.”

It’s dispiriting.  Salt in the wounds of his teammates.  It’s not just disrespectful—it’s agressively ****ty.

Good riddance.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, batmanfreek said:

Hope he doesn’t try and pull a Boldin and later “change his mind” and ask for a release. 

I actually hope he does, because I know Pegula will say no.

then he will come to the dark realization that he pissed away millions of dollars and there is no way coming back. He can sit and stew about how he wrecked a golden opportunity by being an immature cry baby.  He will then cry and be forgotten.

What a punk ass. The part that aggravates me the most is while trying to read up on this, all I see are comments on twitter and such saying things like “well he played for the Bills, I’d quit too.”

So now a large portion of the media and other fans are treating it as the Bills performance made him quit, when in reality Davis has been bad since he arrived in Buffalo. But you’ve got to finish the game at least and walk away with some dignity. Instead you tucked your tail between your legs like a B word and quit on your teammates.

Edited by CajunBillsBacker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

What a punk ass. The part that aggravates me the most is while trying to read up on this, all I see are comments on twitter and such saying things like “well he played for the Bills, I’d quit too.”

So now a large portion of the media and other fans are treating it as the Bills performance made him quit, when in reality Davis has been bad since he arrived in Buffalo.

Even still. I didn’t see players walk off an 0-16 Browns.  Sure it sucked but you don’t do that during HALFTIME.  Ask coach to sit you for the second half then tell your teammates and do your thing.  You would have much more respect then.  Seems like the entitledment generation now.  Run home and cry and be applauded for leaving a bad team.  How about looking like a whiney fool for abandoning your team/people DURING a game, going through the same thing?

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually, no, if he retires, it’s not all dead cap money AFAIK.  They don’t owe him for the 7/8 of this seasons games where he’s retired.  

The seasons salary is guaranteed if they cut him or (usually for a vet) if he’s injured, but if he retires, it’s not owed and they can request return of pro-rated bonus

edited as my statement was incorrect.

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak details why Vontae Davis was in the lineup and the struggles the team had seen from him in the preseason.

Sometimes these guys who are struggling have had the class to retire in the preseason to give the team a chance.

...sometimes.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He goes through the rigors of training camp and then decides to retire at halftime in the 2nd game of the season.  This is one of the strangest stories I've ever seen and will go down in Bills lore as such.

Yes it will!

This will be remembered and repeated many times in years ahead.

It is extremely Billsy.

It is off-the-charts Billsy.

1 hour ago, CamboBill said:

Nothing wrong with deciding ""Ït's time"" --- but choosing to do so mid-game is about as lame as it gets.

Agreed - it was obvious he was struggling even in the preseason and I am sure both he and the coaching staff were trying to decide how much is him coming back from injury - which takes time - and him losing the desire to play.  Having a year off and rehabbing sometimes saps the desire as you enjoy the time away and the mental relief and it is hard to build that desire back up.

I do not think the retirement was a huge surprise as even some guys on the board thought (stated they had heard) rumblings that he was talking about this as early as before game 1 - which was why he sat game 1, but doing it at halftime was a kick in the groin.  

I do understand that he had come to the conclusion that it was time and at that point it is best to just get out.  Especially if you are more concerned about injury and therefore you are not giving it your all.  What we do not know is what was said to who about this internally because the Bills seemed to adjust to not having him right from the start of the second half.

The move to me is not a killer as he was not what he once was, but the optics seem bad.