Week 2 Game Day thread Bills vs. Chargers Second Half

18 minutes ago, Phils n Bills said:

People here preach bumps in the road and patience when it comes to a rookie quarterback, however when we throw his first bad throw or a pick, people are ready to throw  him on the heap pile. Seriously it’s his first start. Give the kid a break. 

I called this earlier this week. Saying that people would be saying that he isn't the answer already. I didn't expect all the Mahomes comparisons though

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Mahomes is in a race car, Darnold is in a Ferrari, Allen is in a Chevy Aveo.  Race the three, then say Allen is a bad racer and a terrible pick to drive.  Got it.

You cannot judge the three QBs in a vacuum.  You need to look at the team around them.

So, the rookie QB in his first start with a seive for an o-line and receivers that lathered their gloves with butter *didn't* throw for 300 yards and 4 TDs?  Well, guy's obviously a bust.  Just look at how well the QBs who have a real team around them played. >.<

??  Looks like a Go-cart or Big Wheel to me LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Well alright. Get the first TD out of the way. This is a game he can build on.

Honestly this game isn't as big of a negative as it seemed like it was going to be in the first half. I think the second half is big for this team psyche. Allen's picks cost them the chance to do anything even remotely competitive (esp that first INT where had they gotten it and the PAT they would have only been down 8 with a ton of time left) but Allen got the garbage time TD which should only help grow his confidence and his teammates confidence. 

The defense played well in the second half which should build their confidence and allow the coach to try and reproduce that style of play more frequently. The only score they allowed was off a pick that put the opposing offense deep into their territory. 

The offense didn't look hot but they got some sense of momentum in the second half scoring early in the half to bring the game to some sort of sense of competitiveness and driving deep into the Chargers territory when it was a 2 score game. 

This is still going to be a bad season but at least there look to be some positives emerging from it. 

Might as well get this rookie season out of the way for Allen. It’s going to take some getting used to and it sucks knowing the year is a throwaway. I hope Fraiser gets fired tomorrow but I fully expect no change and our defense to get embarrassed again next week. It’s hard to take knowing the Bills are going to just lose every single week but that’s just reality.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

No I agree but at least it happened is what I'm saying.  Hopefully we can look like an NFL defense for 4 qtrs next week.

...here's where I'm stumblin' my friend....our HC "Process Boy" has his roots on the defensive side of the ball and assuredly leans that way...and we have Leslie Frazier with 4 years as a player, 10 years collegiate coaching experience and 18 years NFL coaching experience in various roles or a total of 32 years in football circles.....if ANYTHING, the defense SHOULD be shining brighter than the offense....and it cannot be solely personnel......if we have 25+ empty suits pulling down $75+ mil, we have MUCH bigger problems either with schemes NOT fitting existing personnel or some weak spots in personnel but not all IMO....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nitro said:

That is a glaring area for him.  One step at a time.

Josh himself stated in the preseason that he had difficulty with the speed of NFL.  Once he can slow down his game, he will be able to beat that blitz.  There was good promise from him in his first start.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Iron Maiden said:

Problem is we're playing the best D in the NFL next week.....at their place...can't expect much progress vs the Vikings D....

Stats wise you can't

However lets see if he learns to throw a couple balls away instead of a sack. Lets see if he takes a sack instead of that pick while ingram was all over him.

There are ways to see improvement other than the actual performance and I'm excited to see it

Did Mills solidify his status as a problem area?

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

This is the biggest positive I have with him

Think back to losman and Manuel. Allen is head and shoulders above them after 1 start. Lets see if Allen learns from his mistakea

Please refrain from mentioning those two names.  Losing is bad enough.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

he was pretty accurate most of the game and he did say at the end that Allen has a promising future, he's going to make mistakes but will improve each week.

One thing I already like about Allen is his ability to bounce back. He makes two brutal throws in the first half on that Murphy crossing route and then over throwing Jones I believe over the top. Then we get the unsportsmanlike and he makes a great throw on the corner comeback route to Clay. Then in the second half he throws that back breaking pick to seal the game, but still comes back for a nice garbage time TD drive. Lots of young QBs (*cough* Peterman) would get down and not be able to bounce back quickly from that stuff. 

Edited by VW82

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...here's where I'm stumblin' my friend....our HC "Process Boy" has his roots on the defensive side of the ball and assuredly leans that way...and we have Leslie Frazier with 4 years as a olayer, 10 years collegiate coaching experience and 18 years NFL coaching experience in various roles or a total of 32 years in football circles.....if ANYTHING, the defense SHOULD be shining brighter than the offense....and it cannot be solely personnel......if we have 25+ empty suits pulling down $75+ mil, we have MUCH bigger problems either with schemes NOT fitting existing personnel or some weak spots in personnel but not all IMO....

I think the defense came alive in the 2nd half...They gave 3 points and it was not as if Rivers was NOT trying!  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ganesh said:

Josh himself stated in the preseason that he had difficulty with the speed of NFL.  Once he can slow down his game, he will be able to beat that blitz.  There was good promise from him in his first start.

The offense seemed to get going in the second half, even factoring out the garbage time the team just played a lot better in the second half.