What's up with Davis and Murphy?

GreggTX

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

I know Trent Murphy is still not 100%. Will he still get limited snaps with Lawson ailing?

Davis was a probowler. Now he can't even win a starting job? Is it his health? Maybe past injuries have caught up to him.

Does anyone know more?

Davis?

He was the#2 corner in the NFL in 2015

He missed '16 with the ACL tear

He looked washed up when he returned in '17

We signed him cheap to a 1 year deal hoping he'd return to form.

Most ACL injuries take 1.5 years before they fully recover.

Adrian Peterson was an anomaly, with such a fast recovery, but many now use him as the norm.

Some guys never recover fully.

Davis looks like he's one who might not return to form.

Shame.

• Like (+1) 1

they have no choice but to play vontae today if taron johnson can't. they will have to put gaines in the nickel because putting the safety bush there is a mismatch that will get us torched.

i hope murphy plays well and i see him splitting time with nate orchard ....who i predict will be a pleasant surprise.

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

Horrible Free Agent signings for McBean. Brutal!

Somebody should tell beane that you can't take a "low risk-high reward" shot for every single signing.

He basically bought a whole bunch of $2-$15 scratchoffs and is hoping they strike gold.

He hit big last year with poyer and Hyde.

I think that got him cocky and he decided to go all in on the "guys people think are nobody up" free agents, believing his own scouting is the best ever.

-mccarron 

-murphy

-Davis

-star

-Ivory

So far all of them look like busts.

Yes, it's still early, but they don't look good at all.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Somebody should tell beane that you can't take a "low risk-high reward" shot for every single signing.

He basically bought a whole bunch of $2-$15 scratchoffs and is hoping they strike gold.

He hit big last year with poyer and Hyde.

I think that got him cocky and he decided to go all in on the "guys people think are nobody up" free agents, believing his own scouting is the best ever.

-mccarron 

-murphy

-Davis

-star

-Ivory

So far all of them look like busts.

Yes, it's still early, but they don't look good at all.

Great points. So are we going to get any bigtime free agents next year or the same as this year a bunch of mediocre mid level players? We will have around $90million to spend next year? 

Edited by wppete

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

Great points. So are we going to get any bigtime free agents next year or the same as this year a bunch of mediocre mid level players? We will have around $90million to spend next year? 

Two completely different approaches to the seasons in my opinion. 

This year was about filling some holes with some mid level vets or low risk signings. 

The draft this year, next year and next years free agents are about building the foundation of the team for years to come. Ya know to make a run.

Rather anyone likes Allen or whoever, the young guys along with some of the vets (star for example) are part of the foundation of this team for the next few years. 

Signings like Davis and Murphy and washed up guys like Newhouse are temporary 1-2 year fixes to fill some spots. 

13 minutes ago, wppete said:

...McBeane is a spend thrift......first, I'd bet he already knows how much of that he plans to roll over into 2020....secondly, I'm not sure what to make of wounded "blue light specials" as in Murphy and Davis......maybe it was a cheaper "roll the dice" alternative in a cash strapped cap year and NOT a "sign of things to come"......just don't see him pouring MAJOR dollars into one player and I would have some reluctance as well..."bigtime free agents" can be a terrible arena anyway.......funny things happen in a player's contract year......except of course in the case of a Benjamin type...then again..........

Murphy was always an overrated signing to me.  He had a lot of career pressures but not many sacks and I just find him to be one of the NFL guys that Derrick Mason referred to as soft.  That is you don't want to do the training camps and gut through things because it's hot, so on and so forth, but you'll be ready when the season starts.

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I know Trent Murphy is still not 100%. Will he still get limited snaps with Lawson ailing?

Davis was a probowler. Now he can't even win a starting job? Is it his health? Maybe past injuries have caught up to him.

Does anyone know more?

Hold on.. I’ll give them a buzz