La Canfora: Bills Had No Choice But to Bench Peterman; Monitoring Waiver Wire and Depth Charts for QBs

26CornerBlitz

Bills believe they had no choice but to bench Nathan Peterman after Week 1 disaster

After Nathan Peterman failed for the third straight time to finish a start, and was yanked midway through a game due to performance for the second time,  the Billsbrass believed they had no choice but to demote the second-year quarterback and promote rookie quarterback Josh Allen this week, sources said.

While Peterman's sample size is on the small side -- again, just three starts over the past two seasons -- the extent of his problems against the Ravens in Week 1 led to a collective understanding within the team's coaching staff and front office that a change was necessary.

"You wish you had more to go on than just the three starts, and it might be different if this was a veteran with a five-year body of work," said one team source. "But you don't have anything else to go on, and after it happens a second time you can't just write it off as an anomaly."

Sources said the Bills are continuing to monitor the waiver wire and other team's depth charts, and could add another quarterback to the mix if it is the right fit.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to La Canfora: Bills Had No Choice But to Bench Peterman; Monitoring Waiver Wire and Depth Charts for QBs
Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Another joe blow article on why 5th round Nate Peterman should have been benched.  

And people wonder why the media is credited for their reporting. 

That was our starting QB, not some random 5th round pick. If you do dumb **** the people reporting on the **** you are doing will call it out as dumb. These were the same people you were probably crying about when they said the Bills won't have a winning record this year.

Do you believe them?

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

That was our starting QB, not some random 5th round pick. If you do dumb **** the people reporting on the **** you are doing will call it out as dumb. These were the same people you were probably crying about when they said the Bills won't have a winning record this year.

Do you believe them?

We knew what Peterman has done and why he was only a temp as a starter.  

Do the experts know that?

• Like (+1) 1

Bills blew a Peterson size load too early when they let AJ go for a 5th.  We should have kept 3 with so many questions going into the season. But that's hindsight. Bring a vet in that can hold down the fort and mentor Allen. (Anderson, Moore) My peeve is that Bridgewater was there for the taking for the same cash as McCarron and the Bills didn't even make a strong move.  

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

This is the same as what happened to Tom Savage/Deshaun Watson last year. 

Let's hope not.  We need Allen for the year... no jinx on injuries.

Just now, BillsRdue said:

Bills blew a Peterson size load too early when they let AJ go for a 5th.  We should have kept 3 with so many questions going into the season. But that's hindsight. Bring a vet in that can hold down the fort and mentor Allen. (Anderson, Moore) My peeve is that Bridgewater was there for the taking for the same cash as McCarron and the Bills didn't even make a strong move.  

Peterson. :lol:  He fooled McDermott yet again.  No more believing in mirages!

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

But Savage remained the backup.  Peterman could very well be cut. 

He might or might not.  Doesn't matter because whoever they potentially replace him with won't be a good player either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

Do you believe them?

Bills fans are true believers in killing the messenger.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

He might or might not.  Doesn't matter because whoever they potentially replace him with won't be a good player either.

Likely not, but they need someone who can at least come in and not throw up allover themselves.  So I'd say it does matter. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I for one hope that they add a vet and cut NP. Matt Moore is my choice. Peterman isn’t an NFL player and it sounds like the Bills finally realize what many of us already knew.

I'd love Matt Moore. I'm thinking he doesn't have the desire to play anymore or something is up, otherwise he'd be signed. A guy like him, who can come in and win a game or 2, don't last long in FA.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I for one hope that they add a vet and cut NP. Matt Moore is my choice. Peterman isn’t an NFL player and it sounds like the Bills finally realize what many of us already knew.

...surprised that in keeping with the valuable "Carolina Connection", McBeane hasn't called Derek Anderson who spent the last six years there behind Cam....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...surprised that in keeping with the valuable "Carolina Connection", McBeane hasn't called Derek Anderson who spent the last six years there behind Cam....

He's another who I think is ready to call it a career, otherwise he'd have a job. The guy can come in and win a game, what a backup should be able to do.