Bring in Reid Ferguson on obvious passing downs

snafu

I know this may not be a well received idea, but sometimes creative solutions are necessary.

I believe our offensive line is more well suited for running plays, not pass protection.  Allen has a cannon for an arm, so now that he's going to be the starting QB, it may make sense to put the long snapper in for 3d down passing plays.  Allen can line up 15 yards behind the line and take the snap, giving him much more time to read the play and make the throw downfield. Groy can be kept in as a fullback to play near the line behind Ferguson.

Unconventional, yes, but I'm convinced that it would work.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, snafu said:

I know this may not be a well received idea, but sometimes creative solutions are necessary.

I believe our offensive line is more well suited for running plays, not pass protection.  Allen has a cannon for an arm, so now that he's going to be the starting QB, it may make sense to put the long snapper in for 3d down passing plays.  Allen can line up 15 yards behind the line and take the snap, giving him much more time to read the play and make the throw downfield. Groy can be kept in as a fullback to play near the line behind Ferguson.

The defense would adjust to the long snapper coming in very easily.  Have a couple DB's slant in on both edges.  A DL comes out and is replaced by a LB for coverage.  I have my fingers crossed that either a TE or WR is ready to emerge for us to pry the defense loose.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

The defense would adjust to the long snapper coming in very easily.  Have a couple DB's slant in on both edges.  A DL comes out and is replaced by a LB for coverage.  I have my fingers crossed that either a TE or WR is ready to emerge for us to pry the defense loose.

If the DBs slant in, then a receiving RB or a TE would fill in behind them for a pass. LB can't cover Shady out of the backfield. 

52 minutes ago, snafu said:

Do you watch much football?

55 minutes ago, snafu said:

You do know that the defense will line up over him and blow right through him, knocking him on his ass, right? Just because you put a long snapper in for a regular offensive down doesn't mean he gets the same special teams rule protections.

This puts the long-snapper at a disadvantage (as noted above) and puts him at risk of injury. On punts and FGs, the long-snapper is protected by a rule that says DTs can't line up over the nose of the ball; no such protection exists for non-kicking plays.

31 minutes ago, snafu said:

If the DBs slant in, then a receiving RB or a TE would fill in behind them for a pass. LB can't cover Shady out of the backfield. 

The defense no doubt will make it a match of us having to put in 2 or 3 non linemen to block defensive players which I doubt we can do.  If we start putting additional linemen at the LOS that pretty well tips our hand.

1 hour ago, snafu said:

This is so hilarious that it’s brilliant

34 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

This puts the long-snapper at a disadvantage (as noted above) and puts him at risk of injury. On punts and FGs, the long-snapper is protected by a rule that says DTs can't line up over the nose of the ball; no such protection exists for non-kicking plays.

What actually triggers this rule going into effect? It seems it would have to be based on the offensive formation.  Since fake punts and fake  field goals are legal plays and there’s no rule against attempting a field goal or punting on first through third down, in theory why couldn’t you line up in field goal or punt formation every down to gain this protection for your long snapper? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1