On Eve of Allen’s First Start, What is Your Favorite Memory of Jim Kelly?

We are all hoping that JA is at least the next coming of JK for our beloved franchise, if not even better; so if you are old enough to remember watching Jim play during the glory years, what play or plays do you remember most fondly from those games?

In the words of one of the “Bobs” from Office Space when asked to pick which Michael Bolton song he likes best, and answers something along the lines of, “I can’t pick just one, I celebrate his entire collection,” I have to give you more than one too. As a lonely Bills fan growing up in ‘Burgh country where anything outside of rooting for the “Stillers” was considered blasphemy, the absolute highlight for me was getting on that super quiet school bus the day after JK and the Bills absolutely pounded the Steelers on 9/8/91 to the tune of 52-34 (6 tds for JK, 4 to Beebe alone, earning him the moniker of Steeler Killer) and no one said squat to me including the usual loudmouths who thought Bubby Brister was all that. Listening to the Steelers play by play team during the game was priceless—Myron Cope could barely string together intelligible sentences (I know, a low bar) his “ooomp—haas” catchphrase going crazy, and complaining about Kelly basically just playing throw and catch all over the Steeler backfield with no one seemingly offering any resistance...even Rod Woodson their defensive All-Pro had no answers that day.

TD highlights from this game start at the 0:33 mark here:

The other memory that stands out, well, I found a replay of it here...the dude could’ve played both ways is all I can say about that. But an example of how he always took his picks personally and tried to dish it out as good as he got whenever he had the chance:

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

Week One of the 1989 season. At the stinkin' fish's 2-yard line with two seconds to go, #12 called his own number. Already in the shotgun, Kelly took three big steps back into the pocket and then took off, putting it all on the line straight up the middle. As fish converged on him, Jim Kelly done into the end zone as time expired. BILLS WIN!!!!

• Like (+1) 7

21 minutes ago, nickrage said:

The game winning drive on opening day in Miami back in like 88/89. That was it. That cemented my love for the Bills.

From shotgun deep no less, and he says he never doubted what he was going to do—everyone else expecting a pass, classic

31 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I wonder if Kelly, Bruce, Thurman and the Bickering Bills had the Culture and DNA back in their day to play for “The Process”

Marv definitely seemed to be a bit more “hands off” with that group? Of course the talent differential was night and day from the current roster construction too

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, scribo said:

Week One of the 1989 season. At the stinkin' fish's 2-yard line with two seconds to go, #12 called his own number. Already in the shotgun, Kelly took three big steps back into the pocket and then took off, putting it all on the line straight up the middle. As fish converged on him, Jim Kelly done into the end zone as time expired. BILLS WIN!!!!

Mine too. 

Worst memory: Every time he didn't give the ball to Thurman in SuperBowl XXV

• Like (+1) 1

I was going to say the hit on Anthony Phillips which you showed.

I just watched that clip about 10 times.  I always said Jim Kelly broke his leg.  It is more accurate to say Jim Kelly knocked him off stride and when Phillips planted his leg awkwardly on the field, it broke.

The brunt of the hit was in Phillips' thigh area, and then Jimbo tried to wrap up the ankle and kind of missed.  The break occurs as a result of a freak incident where Phillips just planted his foot awkwardly and the leg broke.

Pretty gruesome to watch.  He must have been screaming like crazy.  I wonder if Jimbo heard that.  I remember this play when it happened live, but not the aftermath of it at the time.

In the first AFC Championship game against the Raiders, dropping the snap, adjusting his helmet after it came down over his eyes while picking the ball up and then throwing a strike to James Lofton for a TD.

Right then you just knew it was going to be our day and the wheels pretty much came off the Raiders train from that point forward...

A close second was him diving into the endzone against the Dolphins for the win on the last play of the game in Miami.

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, sven233 said:

The QB keeper to beat Miami opening day.  One of may favorite sports moments of all time.

That was a great one but mine was the play in the Raiders AFC Championship game that let me knew there was no way we were losing that day and that lady luck was smiling on us...

Edited by matter2003

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

In the first AFC Championship game against the Raiders, dropping the snap, adjusting his helmet after it came down over his eyes while picking the ball up and thrn throwing a strike to James Lofton for a TD.

Right then you just knew it was going to be our say and the wheela pretty much came off the Raiders train from that point forward...

A close second was him diving into the endzone against the Dolphins for the win on the last play of the game in Miami.

This.  And the other one too.  But the Raider play was the start of a 24 hour party.   Singing in the snow at 3am.    Awesome memories.   

41 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I was going to say the hit on Anthony Phillips which you showed.

I just watched that clip about 10 times.  I always said Jim Kelly broke his leg.  It is more accurate to say Jim Kelly knocked him off stride and when Phillips planted his leg awkwardly on the field, it broke.

The brunt of the hit was in Phillips' thigh area, and then Jimbo tried to wrap up the ankle and kind of missed.  The break occurs as a result of a freak incident where Phillips just planted his foot awkwardly and the leg broke.

Pretty gruesome to watch.  He must have been screaming like crazy.  I wonder if Jimbo heard that.  I remember this play when it happened live, but not the aftermath of it at the time.

I wonder how much of that the AstroTurf contributed? Do you think the same injury happens on a grass field?

40 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

That was a great one but mine was the play in the Raiders AFC Championship game that let me knew there was no way we were losing that day and that lady luck was smiling on us...

Yeah....  He provided us many moments to last a lifetime.  Good things because all of the QBs we have had since haven't provided much of anything.  Here's to Allen changing that soon!

• Like (+1) 1