On Eve of Allen’s First Start, What is Your Favorite Memory of Jim Kelly?

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I wonder if Kelly, Bruce, Thurman and the Bickering Bills had the Culture and DNA back in their day to play for “The Process”

Perhaps the process would have kept them more disciplined the week before the first Super Bowl.

How quick we are to complain, and how slow we are to remember.

• Like (+1) 1

My Favorite Memory?

It is a general smug feeling of superiority and confidence every time I settled in to watch Bills game kickoff and I knew Jim Kelly was playing. I knew they had a great chance to win regardless of the opponent.

It is like the feeling Packers fans had with Favre and now have with Rogers, also Pats fans with Brady.

It is all about the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

We are all hoping that JA is at least the next coming of JK for our beloved franchise, if not even better; so if you are old enough to remember watching Jim play during the glory years, what play or plays do you remember most fondly from those games?

In the words of one of the “Bobs” from Office Space when asked to pick which Michael Bolton song he likes best, and answers something along the lines of, “I can’t pick just one, I celebrate his entire collection,” I have to give you more than one too. As a lonely Bills fan growing up in ‘Burgh country where anything outside of rooting for the “Stillers” was considered blasphemy, the absolute highlight for me was getting on that super quiet school bus the day after JK and the Bills absolutely pounded the Steelers on 9/8/91 to the tune of 52-34 (6 tds for JK, 4 to Beebe alone, earning him the moniker of Steeler Killer) and no one said squat to me including the usual loudmouths who thought Bubby Brister was all that. Listening to the Steelers play by play team during the game was priceless—Myron Cope could barely string together intelligible sentences (I know, a low bar) his “ooomp—haas” catchphrase going crazy, and complaining about Kelly basically just playing throw and catch all over the Steeler backfield with no one seemingly offering any resistance...even Rod Woodson their defensive All-Pro had no answers that day.

TD highlights from this game start at the 0:33 mark here:

The other memory that stands out, well, I found a replay of it here...the dude could’ve played both ways is all I can say about that. But an example of how he always took his picks personally and tried to dish it out as good as he got whenever he had the chance:

I was at that Steelers game.

2 buddies and I had seasons in the tunnel EZ.

Some Steelers fans in front of us were yucking it up as Kelly was throwing picks (3 or 4?) at the beginning of the game. “ That’s another Steelers Interception!!!”

My buddy Joe kept badgering them so bad with ,” That’s another Buffalo TD.” they left in the third quarter???.

My favorite Kelly moment is him yelling at the reporters after beating the Saints. Telling them nobody but the players believed they were going to win the game.

4 hours ago, nickrage said:

The game winning drive on opening day in Miami back in like 88/89. That was it. That cemented my love for the Bills.

Watched that in my very first apartment. AMAZING ending.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

I went to a bookstore without knowing he was there signing autographs. I walked past him as he was making his way to the table. He noticed I was wearing my Dipset T shirt and said to me "Nice shirt, I would never fool with the Dips, ya dig?" 

Great guy. 

Edited by The Jerk

6 minutes ago, The Jerk said:

I went to a bookstore without knowing he was there signing autographs. I walked past him as he was making his way to the table. He noticed I was wearing my Dipset T shirt and said to me "Nice shirt, I would never fool with the Dips, ya dig?" 

Great guy. 

Jim Jones is that you?

My favorite was literally bumping into him with his family in front of Buckingham Palace when the Bills were in London. Nobody was around, and so he asked me if I’d take their picture. No pretense, just a really nice guy. I thanked HIM for so many great memories in MY life...and we went on our way. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't remember the game.  Bills were on the opponent's 15 or 20, going to the left on TV.  Kelly got sacked and didn't get up.  I think he might have unconscious for a few seconds.  TIimme out and a commercial.  

Next play Kelly threw a TD pass.  

Just a ridiculously tough man.