Top LT of all time

Dadonkadonk

7 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Some great names mentioned. Have to say one of the great ones I feel sorry for is Joe Thomas, being stuck on an awful team all those years. Reminds me of Barry Sanders - an all time great who just never had the talent around him. Though at least Barry went to a championship game once.

Someone should create a greatest team of all time made up of players who spent almost their entire career on bad teams.

Kyle Williams

8 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Anthony Munoz 

How do you not list Richmond Webb? He was able to handle Bruce Smith one on one better than anyone in the NFL and erased him in plenty of games against the Dolphins. It was pretty close to 50-50 with them...Webb got the better of Smith more than anyone else...that should mean something.

Yeah i agree that Webb was really good...definitely top 10. He handled Bruce one on one most of their games and they were split pretty much down the middle over their careers on who got the better of whom.

Webb is great and I would vote him into the HOF before Boselli but Peters and Thomas are better.  

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Except Sanders was obviously great at doing things no LT is asked to do.

Also, Thomas was the anchor of a line that nearly every year was a leader in sacks given up.

A huge missed opportunity for the Browns when they picked him over AP.  Or Revis, for that matter.  

Thomas was the best LT of his generation.  Running backs can be found anywhere.  Knowing both careers it is a real toss up between Thomas and Revis.  I'd probably go with Revis because an average LT will not kill an offense. While an average CB can be a liability.

6 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Roaf is my personal favorite.  

I'm rarely sad when a player retires.  I was sad when Willie called it a day.

Seems like 95 percent of the experts on here have never heard of Roaf

not surprising I guess.  Sad though.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

Seems like 95 percent of the experts on here have never heard of Roaf

not surprising I guess.  Sad though.

Well, no one watched the Saints before Drew Brees arrived, so I’m not too surprised. 

7 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Webb is great and I would vote him into the HOF before Boselli but Peters and Thomas are better.  

Thomas was the best LT of his generation.  Running backs can be found anywhere.  Knowing both careers it is a real toss up between Thomas and Revis.  I'd probably go with Revis because an average LT will not kill an offense. While an average CB can be a liability.

RBs like AP aren't found "anywhere" and they can have an immediate impact on the team's success.  AP was Minny's offense for years.  He averaged about 10 rushing TDs per year for 10 years on  a team that started 8 different QBs (including Tarvares Jackson, Christian Ponder and MAtt Cassell).   Thomas racked up a bunch of Pro Bowls.  Hey so did Ruben Brown (an astonishing 9 in 13 seasons).

LT's can be found anywhere (Peters, for example--a TE) and rarely, individually, have an impact on the team's success (Thomas had none).  It's not a game changing position, like RB and even elite CB. 

Revis's career easily eclipses Thomas's.  That latter toiled in obscurity.  Revis dominated everywhere he went.