Top LT of all time

Dadonkadonk

Some great names mentioned. Have to say one of the great ones I feel sorry for is Joe Thomas, being stuck on an awful team all those years. Reminds me of Barry Sanders - an all time great who just never had the talent around him. Though at least Barry went to a championship game once.

Someone should create a greatest team of all time made up of players who spent almost their entire career on bad teams.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Boselli if not for injury.  Never saw a guy dominate Bruce like he did.

munoz

roaf

ogden

w jones 

fina

Jumbo Elliot played well against Bruce a few times. I actually talked to him about it and he told me just how great Bruce was.

Sorry, but Fina doesn't belong anywhere near any list of the best LTs. He was small, not very strong and very average at best.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I got to give props to my man Orlando.  Man spent a lot of years playing in systems and for coaches that required the blocks to be on for a long time, to let plays develop downfield

If I had to pick one LT it would be Pace beyond a doubt. Some had longer careers but Pace at his peak was better than anyone imo.  Orlando Pace was one of the best football players I ever saw.

Btw, the best RT I ever saw at his peak was Erik Williams.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There was a time when Anthony Munoz completely dominated the game and really could not be beaten, even by some of the game's all time best pass rushers.

He is as good a candidate as any, at least from the modern era.

Joe Jacoby of "Hogs" fame was one hell of a good LT as well at a time when Washington probably had the best OL in football.

Anthony Munoz 

2 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

1. Walter Jones

2. Jonathan Ogden

3. Anthony Munoz

4. Orlando Pace

I'm stuck after 4.  I don't know anything about Jim Parker or Ron Yary but Gil Brandt ranks them # 1 and 5 respectively.  Assuming Brandt is correct about those two, then I would add Art Shell, Jackie Slater, Joe Thomas and Jason Peters to round out my top 10.    

How do you not list Richmond Webb? He was able to handle Bruce Smith one on one better than anyone in the NFL and erased him in plenty of games against the Dolphins. It was pretty close to 50-50 with them...Webb got the better of Smith more than anyone else...that should mean something.

2 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Richmond Webb

Josh Allen

Josh Allen

Josh Allen

Yeah i agree that Webb was really good...definitely top 10. He handled Bruce one on one most of their games and they were split pretty much down the middle over their careers on who got the better of whom.

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Some great names mentioned. Have to say one of the great ones I feel sorry for is Joe Thomas, being stuck on an awful team all those years. Reminds me of Barry Sanders - an all time great who just never had the talent around him. Though at least Barry went to a championship game once.

Someone should create a greatest team of all time made up of players who spent almost their entire career on bad teams.

Except Sanders was obviously great at doing things no LT is asked to do.

Also, Thomas was the anchor of a line that nearly every year was a leader in sacks given up.

A huge missed opportunity for the Browns when they picked him over AP.  Or Revis, for that matter.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jason Peters had a couple seasons In PHI where he gave up 10+ sacks in a season and still pro bowled because his name

Elite for most of his career? Yea

HoF? Yea

Better than Ogden or Jones or Pace? No

No one said he was better than Ogden or Pace. This is a topic about the top 5 LTs of all time

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

No one said he was better than Ogden or Pace. This is a topic about the top 5 LTs of all time

Well he isn’t top 5 .

and a lot of people said Peters? Meaning does he belong.. and in my opinion he isn’t top 5

This wasn’t a shot at you, I think I quoted you cus you were the first to say Peters.. who was excellent 

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well he isn’t top 5 .

and a lot of people said Peters? Meaning does he belong.. and in my opinion he isn’t top 5

That's fine. I'm just not sure where you got that I was saying he was better than Ogden or Pace because I never said that

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

That's fine. I'm just not sure where you got that I was saying he was better than Ogden or Pace because I never said that

Re read my post.

i said I quoted you because you were the first to have Peters in your top 5.. who was excellent 

i said I wasn’t taking a shot at you

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Re read my post.

i said I quoted you because you were the first to have Peters in your top 5.. who was excellent 

i said I wasn’t taking a shot at you

I know you weren't taking a shot at me. It's cool man. I just thought that maybe you misunderstood what I originally posted or something. It's all good 

Edited by Buffalo03

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I forgot all about Joe Thomas. It's Joe Thomas for me all the way

Yea I might take Thomas by a smidge...

they are probably the 2 best LTs of the last 10 years.. Tyrone Smith of Dallas is very good and still young

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Matt Light and Nate Solder carried Tom Brady to 7 Super Bowl appearances and 5 Super Bowl Championships.  They deserve to be on the list.

Good observation.  be interested to see how Solder does this year.   That O-line got away with a ton of holding.  Light was a beast, but I'm not sold on Solder yet.    

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

?

who do you think was better. Joe Thomas or Jason Peters?

thats a toughie

might depend on the offensive scheme.   I'd favor Thomas slightly.  It sucked he was stuck in that wasteland his entire carrer.  

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Jumbo Elliot played well against Bruce a few times. I actually talked to him about it and he told me just how great Bruce was.

Sorry, but Fina doesn't belong anywhere near any list of the best LTs. He was small, not very strong and very average at best.

If I had to pick one LT it would be Pace beyond a doubt. Some had longer careers but Pace at his peak was better than anyone imo.  Orlando Pace was one of the best football players I ever saw.

Btw, the best RT I ever saw at his peak was Erik Williams.

I was kidding about Fina btw....

Good call on williams, although I thought playing next to Allen really helped his game.  

• Like (+1) 1