Bills Release WR Jeremy Kerley; Sign DT Robert Thomas from PS

26CornerBlitz

59 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Problem with your complaint: Our "top talent" consisted of a decoy WR, a rotational DT and a LT who was chronically injured while with us.

So, not exactly top talent.

Are we better or worse without Darby, Dareus, Watkins (I don’t mind this trade), Bradham, and Glenn? 

Just now, Mango said:

Are we better or worse without Darby, Dareus, Watkins (I don’t mind this trade), Bradham, and Glenn? 

Let me break it down for you:

Some of us understand that those guys were NOT getting it done. Some of us were sick of .500 football, because we understand that .500 football is the WORST possible outcome. You never get elite talent, you never get a shot at a QB.

.500 football is why we missed the playoffs for 17 years. The team never tried for excellence, and they are now. Part of that plan is to rip out the rot in the middle of the franchise.

Mango...those guys you listed? They were the rot. Overpaid, underperforming AVERAGE.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

Let me break it down for you:

Some of us understand that those guys were NOT getting it done. Some of us were sick of .500 football, because we understand that .500 football is the WORST possible outcome. You never get elite talent, you never get a shot at a QB.

.500 football is why we missed the playoffs for 17 years. The team never tried for excellence, and they are now. Part of that plan is to rip out the rot in the middle of the franchise.

Mango...those guys you listed? They were the rot. Overpaid, underperforming AVERAGE.

So better or worse? 

Being under.500 (and a bad football team) this year is why we will miss the playoffs. 

Just now, Mango said:

So better or worse? 

Being under.500 (and a bad football team) this year is why we will miss the playoffs. 

And I'm ok with that, because in the long term I believe we will be better.

A LOT better.

You're entitled to disagree, of course. But in no way, shape or form am I obligated to think you're right.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You are astute and perspicacious. The Bills haven't had a franchise qb in over a generation. The organization did what they had to do to get an authentic franchise qb prospect. And yet some people are bothered by that. It makes no sense. 

If you question the bolded, you might be bothered perhaps.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

They weren't getting it done. There's no telling if these guys are either. Their moves are questionable at best. 

You're saying this before they've even really BEGAN the build. You're saying this during the tear-down. It would be a bit more equitable to judge after you see what they do with the cap space and draft picks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Adam727 said:

Right.  Which at the time I understood.  I didn't like the idea of losing that much talent on the Oline & Dline, but I understood we were saving the money going forward.  

Then they spent $50mil on Star (over the length of the contract) and another ~$15-$20mil this year on Vontae Davis/Chris Ivory/McCarron/Coleman/Kerley/Bodine.  I'd rather have Glenn & Dareus at that point.  The people they are spending salary cap $$ on appear to be worse than the players they cut/traded to free up the space in the first place I guess is my issue.  

In a vacuum, yes- I think i'd take Dareus and Glenn over all those players FOR ONE YEAR. But Dareus and Glenn were not 1 year commitments like all the guys you have mentioned (except for Star).

It is all about clearing out as much money as possible for 2019 because that is the first year where massive gaurantees to could be alleviated. 2018 always carried with it a huge salary cap number based on the contracts that were signed prior to McBeane coming aboard whether there was dead cap with players cut/traded or whether those players were still here.

2019 was always the target year to get the Bills cap situation set in order to grow cap space moving forward. 

You gotta roll over that unused cap space year to year in order to build up your team. 

Look at what Jacksonville has done dating back to 2013. By not spending to the cap every year, they were able to increase their team's individual cap number every year and from 2013-2017 they averaged 27.8 million of adjusted salary cap per year. This allowed them to sign at least one impact player in free agency since 2015 while still creating enough cap space to rollover and grow their cap every year. 

Their entire defense is built through 1 great draft and several major FA signings over the past few years: Malik Jackson in 2016 and Barry Church, Calias Campbell, Tashuan Gipson, and AJ Bouye in 2017. Not to mention be able to sign the FA OL in 2018 in Norwell.

This is the new team building tool that rebuilding teams are going to be using when doing a major rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I would concur with the exception of needing an edge rusher.

There's an old saying:  luck favors the prepared mind

The "prepared mind" had nothing to do with the miracle Andy Dalton TD or the late and controversial penalty on the two point conversion against the Colts.

Just now, Peter said:

The team is getting progressively worse.  My mind is prepared to accept that. 

Based on one game?  Honest to God.

I thought they'd be 6-10 last year.  They made the playoffs.  I think they'll be 6-10 this year.  Who knows?  They clearly stunk last week but they did in a couple games last year too.

Interested to see how Allen does as well as Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dabills21 said:

What if I am?  Still doesn't change the fact that we need 4 healthy DTs to rotate and Kerley isn't changing the outcome if we have success passing the football tomorrow...

News flash, Josh Allen will still be the one throwing passes to equally as talented receivers 

Equal talent maybe, but not effort. Probably shouldn't have released a DT earlier in the week that then caused them to drop their only reliable WR. KB and Zay are terrible.

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I like them and still do, for now. But there is no evidence that they are smart about offense. They got rid of Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, and now Kerley. They acquired Matthews, KB, Coleman, Zay, Foster and McCloud. The hired and fired Dennison. They hired and kept Castillo, which is worse. They drafted Dawkins but got rid of Glenn. They signed and kept DuCasse. They replaced Wood and Richie (granted, losing them was not their fault but the replacements are) with Bodine and Newhouse, who no one thought were good. They signed and then got rid of AJ. They signed and played Tolbert for an entire season they have now fixed with Ivory and Murphy. They drafted and they started Peterman twice, two of the very worst starts in all of NFL history.

They did draft Josh, who wasnt my first choice even with QBs still available but I very much like him now and if he is a hit, then they will get a lot of respect back. But what is it you think they have done with the offense that gives you so much hope?

well, they haven't traded Shady for a 5th round pick yet

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Based on one game?  Honest to God.

I thought they'd be 6-10 last year.  They made the playoffs.  I think they'll be 6-10 this year.  Who knows?  They clearly stunk last week but they did in a couple games last year too.

Interested to see how Allen does as well as Edmunds.

As I have said, I think that the record last year was a mirage given the other metrics.  I said well before the season that I was expecting the team to be worse this year.  The historic and embarrassing loss to the Ravens just confirmed what I already believed.

I hope they can turn it around, but I think that this year is going to be a very tough and depressing year.  

I just hope that Josh can develop and does not get crushed (physically and otherwise) in the process.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Equal talent maybe, but not effort. Probably shouldn't have released a DT earlier in the week that then caused them to drop their only reliable WR. KB and Zay are terrible.

Here's the thing though.  They watched preseason.  They watched the first game.  They evaluate players all through that time.  So we have to assume they felt Washington was a liability.  Do you then keep him just to say you have 4 DTs?  Or do you get rid of a guy not performing?