Bills Release WR Jeremy Kerley; Sign DT Robert Thomas from PS

26CornerBlitz

Just now, Mango said:

Well....

I’ve won as an athlete 6 National Championships...

Then as a coach, I won another 6....

There are a few years in there too, where I lived at the Olympic Training Center full time.

So, to answer your question, yes, I do get it.

Uh huh.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You do one or the other. This way it puts us behind in the ultimate goal. You either tear it down right away and immediately start to rebuild. Or you rebuild on the fly. We rebuilt on the fly in year one and then tore it down in year two. That makes no sense. 

I respectfully disagree. Sometimes it isn't smart to get rid of players when you can't get reasonable value for a player. In two years the roster has been substantially turned over. Next year there will be even more turnover because of the cap space and full complement of draft picks. Where I disagree with you is that the rebuild did start right away. In our first draft the Bills traded down with KC to get an extra pick the following year. While you may not consider what is being done a pure rebuild I consider it a substantial rebuild. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully disagree. Sometimes it isn't smart to get rid of players when you can't get reasonable value for a player. In two years the roster has been substantially turned over. Next year there will be even more turnover because of the cap space and full complement of draft picks. Where I disagree with you is that the rebuild did start right away. In our first draft the Bills traded down with KC to get an extra pick the following year. While you may not consider what is being done a pure rebuild I consider it a substantial rebuild. 

Serious quesion. 

Knowing what we know now. Would you keep Glenn, Darby, Bradham, and Dareus, have them on the roster for 2018. Use 2019 (and/or less 2018)draft capital to trade up for Allen and Edmunds. And grab 2 OL this year in round 2? 

Second question, would we be better if we did that? 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Serious quesion. 

Knowing what we know now. Would you keep Glenn, Darby, Bradham, and Dareus, have them on the roster for 2018. Use 2019 (and/or less 2018)draft capital to trade up for Allen and Edmunds. And grab 2 OL this year in round 2? 

Second question, would we be better if we did that? 

Let me add a twist to your scenario: Would we have been better off if the Bills would have drafted Mahome last year and used the picks to address other positions? I would say yes. 

To more specifically answered your question the collection of moves the Bills made were primarily made to get a franchise qb in last year's draft. That was the designed strategy. And that strategy was carried out. We got our franchise qb in this year's draft for a hefty price. In my mind it was well worth it if you take a longer term view. 

Edited by JohnC

53 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It was unavoidable to not have short term pain from the gruesome action of quickly absorbing the cap $$$

I don't accept that as truth - certainly to the extent that you are at a 75-6 deficit in six quarters. Perhaps you don't draft QB AND MLB projects in the first round. Perhaps, just perhaps, you actually address the offensive line constructively instead of making it worse. Perhaps you sign players like an All Pro at Center instead of a career bust from Cincinnati. 

None of those things would have impacted the cap situation. Pouncey wasn't outside of our cap situation, if we weren't so infatuated with NFC players (particularly former Panthers). It could have been Rosen; and perhaps one day Edmunds will be a player but he's terrible right now. Those decisions would have substantially alleviated pain of cap $$$. 

Look, the Chargers played 4 rookies on defense today, and that was without a high quality DE. Their personnel decisions this offseason have sucked and THAT'S the reason we are feeling cap pain. Nothing more.

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

With McCloud inactive. Now i see the Logic for cutting Kerley. ?

Lol, u happy after Dimarco caught a pass today? that outperformed Kerley from week 1....im guessing you're not.

Still don't know why you're so butt hurt about Jeremy freaking Kerley....just to argue with every move the bills front office makes perhaps

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I don't accept that as truth - certainly to the extent that you are at a 75-6 deficit in six quarters. Perhaps you don't draft QB AND MLB projects in the first round. Perhaps, just perhaps, you actually address the offensive line constructively instead of making it worse. Perhaps you sign players like an All Pro at Center instead of a career bust from Cincinnati. 

None of those things would have impacted the cap situation. Pouncey wasn't outside of our cap situation, if we weren't so infatuated with NFC players (particularly former Panthers). It could have been Rosen; and perhaps one day Edmunds will be a player but he's terrible right now. Those decisions would have substantially alleviated pain of cap $$$. 

Look, the Chargers played 4 rookies on defense today, and that was without a high quality DE. Their personnel decisions this offseason have sucked and THAT'S the reason we are feeling cap pain. Nothing more.

My interpretation of this offseason's moves is much different from yours. The organization decided to take the cap hit this year in order to be less restrained in their pursuit of players next year. That was the plan and that is exactly what has happened. There are no surprises here because that was the plan. You are entitled to disagree but with respect to the cap and how it was handled it was by design. 

Just now, JohnC said:

My interpretation of this offseason's moves is much different from yours. The organization decided to take the cap hit this year in order to be less restrained in their pursuit of players next year. That was the plan and that is exactly what has happened. There are no surprises here because that was the plan. You are entitled to disagree but with respect to the cap and how it was handled it was by design. 

As the saying goes, you are entitled to opinion but not to facts. 

The Bills offensive line blew up in the offseason, and they literally did nothing to improve the play. Then they stuck a project rookie QB behind it. Signing Bodine instead of Pouncey makes the world of difference, and this team literally blew stacks of bucks on two defensive linemen that as yet have done jack. 

No surprise that they were going to continue to act against the cap. The surprise was that they f'd up the money they did spend so badly that they are forcing bad performances on the field. Attacking the cap is NOT tantamount to accepting lowered performance on the field. That just makes fans feel better when their front office f's up. 

10 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

Lol, u happy after Dimarco caught a pass today? that outperformed Kerley from week 1....im guessing you're not.

Still don't know why you're so butt hurt about Jeremy freaking Kerley....just to argue with every move the bills front office makes perhaps

Actually yes I am happy he did something. 

So what did Conner McDermott do?  Lacy Do? Holmes? Or the 4th DT for that matter?

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Actually yes I am happy he did something. 

So what did Conner McDermott do?  Lacy Do? Holmes? Or the 4th DT for that matter?

Again, you need to have backups...and clearly the team didn't view Kerley as a starter or even as highly as the backups that you mentioned.

Let's see if Kerley gets signed elsewhere and contributes...i really hope he is successful, but he's a bottom of the roster player at this point in his career.  

Let's circle back to this conversation later I. the year and see if Kerley is as valuable in other NFL teams eyes...you clearly see something in him that I'm missing

1 minute ago, dabills21 said:

Again, you need to have backups...and clearly the team didn't view Kerley as a starter or even as highly as the backups that you mentioned.

Let's see if Kerley gets signed elsewhere and contributes...i really hope he is successful, but he's a bottom of the roster player at this point in his career.  

Let's circle back to this conversation later I. the year and see if Kerley is as valuable in other NFL teams eyes...you clearly see something in him that I'm missing

So Conner McDermott finally got active. Ooo wait nevermind. 

It isnt as much about Kerley. It is about Allen. Sorry you cannot get that thru your thick skull

Edited by MAJBobby

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Are we worse or better than we were last season. Do we have more holes than last season?

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Let me add a twist to your scenario: Would we have been better off if the Bills would have drafted Mahome last year and used the picks to address other positions? I would say yes. 

To more specifically answered your question the collection of moves the Bills made were primarily made to get a franchise qb in last year's draft. That was the designed strategy. And that strategy was carried out. We got our franchise qb in this year's draft for a hefty price. In my mind it was well worth it if you take a longer term view. 

But if you did the total rebuild last year we don't pick 22 and have to use all that draft capital to get our franchise guy. We draft at 7 or so and stand pat or move up to 3. That's a rebuild. We tried to have it both ways and we were better last year but behind now. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Are we worse or better than we were last season. Do we have more holes than last season?

Of course we are worse off this year. That's part of the process. We are now in a better position to better address those needs in the near future. Sometimes you step back to move forward. The trajectory isn't always even but it will move up with the expected blips. It's part of the process. It's not easy----and never was going to be. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

So Conner McDermott finally got active. Ooo wait nevermind. 

It isnt as much about Kerley. It is about Allen. Sorry you cannot get that thru your thick skull

If it's about Allen, then why does Kerley matter so much?  He is not good, and doesn't offer anything more than what we already have at WR.

I respect that everyone has an opinion, but in this case, your opinion doesn't mean much....sorry, but the Bills brass doesn't agree with you.

And insults, come on man, don't turn internet tough guy on me 

3 minutes ago, dabills21 said:

If it's about Allen, then why does Kerley matter so much?  He is not good, and doesn't offer anything more than what we already have at WR.

I respect that everyone has an opinion, but in this case, your opinion doesn't mean much....sorry, but the Bills brass doesn't agree with you.

And insults, come on man, don't turn internet tough guy on me 

So going into the first Rookies start with 4 WRs is smart? And then have him throw 33 times? 

And if that is Kerley isnt good why was he on the team?  Why not Coleman, Reiley or Phillips or Streater. 

Know what else Kerley offered is Return Stability in a game Murphy was clearly struggling. 

But know inactive McDermott, Useless Lacy and a 4th DT because it was Hot (as coach said) met more. 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Of course we are worse off this year. That's part of the process. We are now in a better position to better address those needs in the near future. Sometimes you step back to move forward. The trajectory isn't always even but it will move up with the expected blips. It's part of the process. It's not easy----and never was going to be. 

I think you're missing the point. We should be better this year if the process was in normal order. Last year should have been the bad year and next year should be year two of the rebuild. Now next year is going to be year one of the rebuild. The "process" is tear down year one, build year two, and go for it year three. We tried to go on the fly year one, tore down year two, and now year three is what year two should have been. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I think you're missing the point. We should be better this year if the process was in normal order. Last year should have been the bad year and next year should be year two of the rebuild. Now next year is going to be year one of the rebuild. The "process" is tear down year one, build year two, and go for it year three. We tried to go on the fly year one, tore down year two, and now year three is what year two should have been. 

You are not following what I am saying. This year was about getting our franchise qb. It was a complicated and costly endeavor. Stepping back to get a franchise qb in my mind is actually moving forward. My position has been the same for a number of years. You don't get anywhere unless you get yourself a franchise qb. It wasn't an easy task but this regime got it done. Is it guaranteed that Josh Allen is that caliber of qb? No, but it was worth the short term set back for the long term gain. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Year one was the evaluation. We didn't start jettisoning the last regime's players until the offseason was almost over. Dareus took until mid-season to find someone willing to take his contract. This year we lost Incognito and Wood through no fault of our own, and we replaced our starting but mediocre QB and MLB with raw rookies. Most rebuilding regimes take their QB in year one but our regime showed up late. Firing Whaley was a last minute decision. Everything was delayed an extra year but it worked out because we have a ton of dead cap off the books at the end of this season.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

You are not following what I am saying. This year was about getting our franchise qb. It was a complicated and costly endeavor. Stepping back to get a franchise qb in my mind is actually moving forward. My position has been the same for a number of years. You don't get anywhere unless you get yourself a franchise qb. It wasn't an easy task but this regime got it done. Is it guaranteed that Josh Allen is that caliber of qb? No, but it was worth the short term set back for the long term gain. 

I already said this but if the tank was last year we don't need to move up and use all of those resources to get our franchise QB. We drafted 22 and had to give away picks and players to get in a position to get Josh. If we starte the process last year we would have already been in that position, got Josh and had Glenn and another good draft pick.