Do You Enjoy a Delicious Eggplant Dish Like Eggplant Parm?

Mike in Horseheads

Do You Enjoy a Delicious Eggplant Dish Like Eggplant Parm?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Enjoy a Delicious Eggplant Dish Like Eggplant Parm?

• Yes
    • No
    • I never had it but I'm sure it sucks!

10 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I usually don't like it.  Like asparagus, anything that you have to "doctor" the sh*t out of, just to choke down, is not what I would want.

For me there is no way to doctor eggplant to like it but steamed asparagus I love.  Don't need butter with garlic or anything.  Same with broccoli.

Eggplant seems like it would be healthy, but it actually has very litttle nutritional value. 

Some people say you should salt it and let it sweat and then dry it to make it less bitter. Other people say that isn’t necessary. 

Eggplant parm isn’t one of my favorites, but it ain’t bad. I’ll eat it if it’s offered to me. I probably wouldn’t order it at a restaurant unless there’s nothing else on the menu that looks good. I’ve never eaten at Moosewood in Ithaca, but I may prefer it over a lot of the things they offer. My wife has been known to order eggplant parm even though there are other things on the menu that look better to me.  

32 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Eggplant seems like it would be healthy, but it actually has very litttle nutritional value. 

Some people say you should salt it and let it sweat and then dry it to make it less bitter. Other people say that isn’t necessary. 

Eggplant parm isn’t one of my favorites, but it ain’t bad. I’ll eat it if it’s offered to me. I probably wouldn’t order it at a restaurant unless there’s nothing else on the menu that looks good. I’ve never eaten at Moosewood in Ithaca, but I may prefer it over a lot of the things they offer. My wife has been known to order eggplant parm even though there are other things on the menu that look better to me.  

Been many years since I was at the Moosewood and that was because my date wanted to go there.  That aside there used to be other alternative menu restaurants in Ithaca with a better selection than the Moosewood but it has been many years since I have stopped to eat in Ithaca.  One girl I went out with had a thing for Manno's diner down on 13 South.  

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Been many years since I was at the Moosewood and that was because my date wanted to go there.  That aside there used to be other alternative menu restaurants in Ithaca with a better selection than the Moosewood but it has been many years since I have stopped to eat in Ithaca.  One girl I went out with had a thing for Manno's diner down on 13 South.  

Joe’s in Ithaca is a phenomenal Italian restaurant, and their eggplant parm is really good.  Love their tomato sauce.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

When my daughter was going to school in Ithaca we used to like to eat lunch at the brewery. My wife loved their cheddar ale soup. I think that’s why we ended up there so often. 

On 9/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, Augie said:

Oddly, it’s one thing I never really tried cooking. Didn’t grow up with it, but now I want to give it a shot. 

They can be a challenge if you’ve never cooked them before.......over cook them and they’re a sloppy soggy mess........undercook them and they’re bitter.

Do some trial and error on them for your first couple of times, but once you finally get it, they’re excellent.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:42 AM, Gray Beard said:

Not something I've had a lot, but I've never had eggplant and not liked it. Now I understand why.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:00 PM, Chef Jim said:

Roast them! 

Cut the eggplant in half, rub them with oil and roast them and scoop out the "meat" and run it through a processor with garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and basil....Baba Gnoush.  A great simple dip.  

Roasted eggplant soup.  Cut them in half rub with oil and roast as above.  When they are soft and mushy put them to the side.  Saute onions and garlic in olive oil, add the roasted eggplant and cover with chicken stock.  Simmer for 30 minutes or so. Puree the soup, strain and season.  Simple but real good. 

Hummus = Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans

Baba Ganoush = Roasted Eggplant

[Obvious]

But...

"Mama Ganoush" = Zucchini

https://localbanquet.com/item/mama-ganoush-or-move-over-baba

"For our “Mama Ganoush” we start by roasting all of the overgrown zucchini we can rustle up. Keep the mixture cold and enjoy this summer treat. It’s up to you if you want to tell your friends that it’s not made with eggplant."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois