How Safe Are Coach McDermott and GM Beane?

BuffaloRush

Have to wonder how safe they are after today.

That said it would take a new coach and GM 5 years to assemble enough talent to be competitive. 

Right now this team is soooooo devoid of talent and soooooo pathetic TPegs needs to question these 2 WTF they are doing, because right now the plan or "process"  isn't working.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

Have to wonder how safe they are after today.

That said it would take a new coach and GM 5 years to assemble enough talent to be competitive. 

Right now this team is soooooo devoid of talent and soooooo pathetic TPegs needs to question these 2 WTF they are doing, because right now the plan or "process"  isn't working.

Actually it's working just like they intended. It all hinges on Allen being a franchise QB.

3 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

Actually it's working just like they intended. It all hinges on Allen being a franchise QB.

It is, really?

What is the plan then if you think it is?

Because there is such a lack of talent on this team, self created I might add and it will take years to become competitive.

Then guys quitting, coaches being relieved in game, it's a **** show and TPegs didn't get billions by being a stupid person.

2 minutes ago, pop gun said:

It is, really?

What is the plan then if you think it is?

Because there is such a lack of talent on this team, self created I might add and it will take years to become competitive.

Then guys quitting, coaches being relieved in game, it's a **** show and TPegs didn't get billions by being a stupid person.

i agreed with u till the pegula part---the guy is a phenomenal businessman...and the worst sports owner exc for possibly little danny in washington

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

This better not be what they intended.  Nowadays, NFL teams do not need to bottom out to rebuild.  The team had some decent pieces in place but those have mostly been jettisoned in favor of former Panthers and other assorted trash.  At some point, one has to question if they know what they are doing. So far, there’s not much evidence that they do.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane really worries me.   I dont think he has a clue.  His FA signings have been terrible.   He's trades up too much.    We;re

going to try and develop a rookie QB with a terrible OL, and a bunch of scrub receivers, how is that a plan for success?   The draft picks next year, big deal a extra what 4th, 5th and 7th---think you are getting a bunch of starters from that haul?    

Here's your needs coming up next year and beyond.

4 new OL

At least 3 WRs, including a true no. 1

A CB to start opposite Tre, a solid 3rd corner

A capable backup QB

KW will retire

Shady isnt getting younger and is on the wrong side of 30

Lorax replacement

Anybody have any faith in Trent Murphy and Lawson?

Clay is in final years, there's not much behind him

Losing and losing badly as in having the worst record in the league makes it harder to sign FAs, unless you want to way overpay and then that hurts the cap down the road.

I think Beane may go down as one of the worst GMs in team history in a few years.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 2

The owners have to be asking real questions now and it’s only going to intensify as the media sharks circle and the team loses more games.  Multiple players quitting on the field (Davis, Benjamin), QB benchings, coaches’ responsibilities being shifted, millions in cap dollars pissed away and it’s only week 2...

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mannc said:

This better not be what they intended.  Nowadays, NFL teams do not need to bottom out to rebuild.  The team had some decent pieces in place but those have mostly been jettisoned in favor of former Panthers and other assorted trash.  At some point, one has to question if they know what they are doing. So far, there’s not much evidence that they do.

Watkins wasn't going to resign. Marcelle contract was horrible for the production he was providing. 

Glenn can't stay healthy and Darby wasn't a scheme fit.

Please tell me how those were bad moves?

You guys are living too much in the present. They have made moves to secure a good future. Is all going to hinge on drafting.

They are rebuilding aka they have no clue how to build a roster.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Absolutely right. They don't need to bottom out. It's a blind fans excuse for the piss poor job they've done constructing the roster.

1 minute ago, Jpsredemption said:

They are rebuilding aka they have no clue how to build a roster.

I don’t get these responses. How would you have built the roster different?  Yes the roster is bad but it tells you nothing about building a roster. It only tells you they felt they needed to reset the roster. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

They are safe, after next offseason when we get all the talent they will get two years, THEN if that doesn't work they will likely be gone .

If this season doesn’t turn around in a big way, their continuing employment will be seriously re-evaluated after year 3. 

3 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

I don’t get these responses. How would you have built the roster different?  Yes the roster is bad but it tells you nothing about building a roster. It only tells you they felt they needed to reset the roster. 

You have to keep some quality pieces , even if you feel they are underperforming. Coach them up and get more out of them. If you tear things down to expansion team level, you’ve dug too deep a hole to get out of in a reasonable time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting tidbit from WGR...according to Jerry White there is a prop bet that places Coach McDermott as one of the 5 coaches most likely to get fired.  They gave him 1-5 odds of getting fired.  I know little about better but I am considering betting my life savings against it.

IMO, the Bills can go 0-16 and there’s no way Coach is getting axed.  There are a plethora of reasons.  The first is practicality.  In his first year McDermott led the Bills to the playoffs. Period.  That was unthinkable a few years ago, and breaking that streak was huge for both Coach and this franchise.  

Second are the Pegulas.  The love Coach and treat him like family.  They gave him a lot of power and authority and he delivered. 

The third is continuity.  The Pegulas are conscious of their reputation of getting rid of coaches.  They also know the history of the Bills.  Terry is rumored to have consultants to discuss business with and they will preach continuity as well.  

The last is that McDermott and Beane were probably very clear in the time their “process” would take.  I have no doubt that Terry gave Coach his word that he was committed to five years and would give him some time.

Either way, I’d put the odds if Coach McDermottt getting fired at 5%.  Jerry White said he feels McDermott is one of the safest coaches in the NFL.  I would agree.  What say you?

Both are safe for several years and deservedly so.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.  We have a lot of young players on the team learning, and it shows.  I'm as disappointed as anyone about the OL, DL, secondary, and WR positions.  But there are some key positions occupied by up and coming studs that simply need time to develop. They will get this fixed.  Sucks it might not be next week, but in the long run this team will be solid

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You have to keep some quality pieces , even if you feel they are underperforming. Coach them up and get more out of them. If you tear things down to expansion team level, you’ve dug too deep a hole to get out of in a reasonable time. 

Which guys should we have kept?

On 9/14/2018 at 4:03 PM, joesixpack said:

Wrong again :lol:

These guys get a minimum of four years. Probably 5.

Yep - full term as I see it. I believe they've acquired the the most difficult piece (JA) and they will address the rest.

They'll be extended after the 4th season. I can see this.

Lets face it,  0-16 is a distinct possibility.    Say we go 4-12 in 19,  after all we will have a bunch of rookies with extra late round picks.   The Kool-aid drinkers will say in 19---hey they're just rookies it will take time.....

If I told you that the end of Rex/Whaley3 years later we would go 9-7, 0-16 and 4-12 how many of you would of signed up for that?