How Safe Are Coach McDermott and GM Beane?

BuffaloRush

I hope Terry and Kim let these guys stay the course and see how year three of the rebuild goes next year. I just have to say though F Beane and McDermott for making us have to wait another whole year since this one is so ugly. Who do they think they are game of thrones?

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott and Beane can have “prepped” the Pegulas that they expect this season to be a struggle and a bad one, but there’s a distinction between bad and humiliating/embarrassing.

Right now, the Bills are a national laughingstock in the media with Cowherd etc taking shots at the Nate Peterman era.  It’s mockery that frankly, we earned.  We have Ravens talking about how they systematically took advantage of our defensive scheme.  We had mistakes on special teams.  We had tons of penalties.  These aren’t factors that reflect a “roster that isn’t where we want it yet”.  It could be a one game gaffe at this point - or it could reflect systematic problems in the team’s scheme, game plan, preparation, and coaching.

Any “prep” of the Pegulas is likely to have been based on the premise that the team would have well-designed game plans, sound preparation, good coaching, and disciplined play, just maybe lack the talent to execute and beat other teams.  Fulfill that premise, and sure, the record may be 0-16 and McBeane may stay.

Fail to fulfill that premise, and it seems to me that the Pegula's have previously shown no problem whatsoever changing their minds and moving on from coaches and GMs who don’t meet their expectations.

This Ravens game wasn't about a team that was blown out by bad bounces and just being unlucky. This was a team that looked thoroughly undisciplined and unprepared to face the opposing team. The Bills were outplayed, outcoached and an embarrassment to their fans, owners. 

Bills fans need to look back at the Rex Ryan regime and 8-8, 7-9 to see he was gone after just two seasons. Just because the Bills backed into the playoffs last season at 9-7 doesn't give this GM/HC a free pass for the next two years. These owners are not only super-rich, they are also super smart and they saw what we all saw in that the Bills needed the Ravens to lose and the Bengals to win in order to get them into the playoffs. 

These owners have shown that they want to win and become competitive in the AFC East NOW and like we saw with Rex Ryan they realize and correct their mistakes quickly. So, should these blowouts continue I don't see this regime lasting very long. 

On another note I have no idea why Nate Peterman is even still on the roster and why this FO hasn't made a move to bring in a veteran QB like Matt Moore, Paxton Lynch unless this regime is counting on their QB's failing game after game so they can get that first overall pick. Which looks to be one of many top defensive players, DE, DT. The Bills have already proved that with the #4 overall defense and Super Mario, Marcell Dareus on the team they still didn't make the playoffs in 2014.

This teams needs to find and develop a franchise QB and Josh Allen looks to be that guy. This regime gave up a lot to move up to the #7 spot this year to draft that QB. (Allen was supposed to sit and develop this year and now there isn't even a veteran QB on the roster to learn from).

Stating that, I have a tough time believing that these owners will sit back and watch that #7 pick be ruined by bad coaching, behind a horrendous offensive line that this regime had time to fix. The fact that they attempted to upgrade the line with a few players and didn't get it done only proves their inability to properly judge talent. 

Edited by Nihilarian

8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Beane had time to address the O line and he gambled that he could fake it with what was already inside the organization.

That was a mistake.

Suggesting he was caught by surprise or did not have ample opportunity to address the situation is simply wrong.

I think it's more he has a plan, and was counting on moving on from Woods and incognito after this season anyway. He isn't going to panic, which means he would be only looking at getting players on cheap one year deals.

Were the players available on cheap on year deals significantly better than who they have now? Was it worth the risk to get rid of know players who you believe/projecting as replacement level who fit inbthe locker room with unknown players that are going to project at the same level? 

17 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting tidbit from WGR...according to Jerry White there is a prop bet that places Coach McDermott as one of the 5 coaches most likely to get fired.  They gave him 1-5 odds of getting fired.  I know little about better but I am considering betting my life savings against it.

IMO, the Bills can go 0-16 and there’s no way Coach is getting axed.  There are a plethora of reasons.  The first is practicality.  In his first year McDermott led the Bills to the playoffs. Period.  That was unthinkable a few years ago, and breaking that streak was huge for both Coach and this franchise.  

Second are the Pegulas.  The love Coach and treat him like family.  They gave him a lot of power and authority and he delivered. 

The third is continuity.  The Pegulas are conscious of their reputation of getting rid of coaches.  They also know the history of the Bills.  Terry is rumored to have consultants to discuss business with and they will preach continuity as well.  

The last is that McDermott and Beane were probably very clear in the time their “process” would take.  I have no doubt that Terry gave Coach his word that he was committed to five years and would give him some time.

Either way, I’d put the odds if Coach McDermottt getting fired at 5%.  Jerry White said he feels McDermott is one of the safest coaches in the NFL.  I would agree.  What say you?

if you bet your life savings on anything, your an idiot.

• Like (+1) 1

Regardless of what happens I bet they'll be safe. And I hope they get a full 5 years at the least.

After 1 game people are already forgetting that they broke a 17 season playoff drought? So incredibly silly.

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

if you bet your life savings on anything, your an idiot.

Depends on the amount of your life savings. Plenty of people don't save money at all!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I think it's more he has a plan, and was counting on moving on from Woods and incognito after this season anyway. He isn't going to panic, which means he would be only looking at getting players on cheap one year deals.

Were the players available on cheap on year deals significantly better than who they have now? Was it worth the risk to get rid of know players who you believe/projecting as replacement level who fit inbthe locker room with unknown players that are going to project at the same level? 

You made some good points.

But McBeane have made that gamble at other positions (WR, DB, DL).  They have also shown no problem getting rid of players and eating dead cap, so why would they limit themselves to “cheap 1 year deals”?  If you can bring in Corey Coleman and eat $3.5M dead cap when you cut him loose, taking a hard look at a guy who can really play but has been injured like Mike Pouncey and eating $3.7M dead cap next year if he doesn’t work out, should not be beyond scope.

If their plan involved neutering the whole offense and risking the QB due to bad OL play, maybe it’s a Bad Plan

15 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Eric Wood had just signed an extension so I don't think that's correct. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

Regardless of what happens I bet they'll be safe. And I hope they get a full 5 years at the least.

After 1 game people are already forgetting that they broke a 17 season playoff drought? So incredibly silly.

We’ve achieved 9-7 record 3 times this century - 2004, 2014, 2017.  So there’s a perspective that says “Yea! We made the playoffs!  Wooo Hoo!” But also recognize that when you make the playoffs with a record that’s kept you out twice previously, there’s an element of luck involved rather than a pure achievement.

IOW it’s not forgetting, so much as viewing it from a different perspective.   Which, BTW, seems to be shared by McBeane “not as close as people think”

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Maybe their plan was built for multiple years?

Just maybe.

I’m sure their plan was built for multiple years.  I’m saying that if their multiple-year plan involved allowing the OL to be such trash this year that it’s neutering the entire offense and putting our New Shiny QB at physical risk, maybe it’s a bad multiple-year plan.  And if it’s so inflexible that it couldn’t be changed to account for the loss of Wood and ‘Cog, ditto.

It’s just my opinion, no one else needs to share it.

• Like (+1) 1

They will go as good as Josh Allen is. So here is the temp map if Allen is bad

2018 - Cold no way in hell they get fired 

2019 - Seat warming up for McDermott 50/50

2020 - Yep make or break year. I think the playoffs last uear bought jom 2020. 

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We’ve achieved 9-7 record 3 times this century - 2004, 2014, 2017.  So there’s a perspective that says “Yea! We made the playoffs!  Wooo Hoo!” But also recognize that when you make the playoffs with a record that’s kept you out twice previously, there’s an element of luck involved rather than a pure achievement.

IOW it’s not forgetting, so much as viewing it from a different perspective.   Which, BTW, seems to be shared by McBeane “not as close as people think”

I’m sure their plan was built for multiple years.  I’m saying that if their multiple-year plan involved allowing the OL to be such trash this year that it’s neutering the entire offense and putting our New Shiny QB at physical risk, maybe it’s a bad multiple-year plan.  And if it’s so inflexible that it couldn’t be changed to account for the loss of Wood and ‘Cog, ditto.

It’s just my opinion, no one else needs to share it.

Mr. negative strikes again.  Hate to tell you this - but there’s an “element of luck” for just about every team that wins the Super Bowl.  

Bottom line is that the 2017 team did exactly what they need to do to get in.  The other 9-7 teams had a great chance to get in and they essentially blew it.  

2004:  After a hellish start the team took advantage of a soft schedule and went on a crazy run.  They just needed to beat Pittsburgh’s 3rd string team and they actually got beat down prettt bad. 

2014:  After a big win vs. Green Bay, the Bills just needed to beat the 2-12 Raiders and then the NE backups.  Of course again Marrone’s crew failed and were ourclassed by a group of bad players. 

Again the 2017 team needed to win some games down the stretch and they did it.  Big pivotal wins against KC and Miami twice.  Other Bills team would have faultered.  Credit that to McDermott.  Stop being Mr. Negative and give Coach McDermott credit. He did more with less.

11 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Awesome post...a point with regards to the oline and the amount of blame to give to Beane...important to keep in mind that there were two sudden retirements this off-season.

Eric Wood was unexpected and unavoidable, but  Incognito?  I think the Bills front office had a whiff that the guy was a loose canon and was not unhappy to let him go.

But you are absolutely correct that losing both was devastating,

21 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Fired? Not a chance. Jailed for choking out some member of the media for asking the same question 36 times in a row? 47% chance.

Maybe if he answered the questions instead of saying crap like, "I don't feel the need to elaborate" or "it's part of the process" he wouldn't be asked the same questions time and time again.

21 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting tidbit from WGR...according to Jerry White there is a prop bet that places Coach McDermott as one of the 5 coaches most likely to get fired.  They gave him 1-5 odds of getting fired.  I know little about better but I am considering betting my life savings against it.

IMO, the Bills can go 0-16 and there’s no way Coach is getting axed.  There are a plethora of reasons.  The first is practicality.  In his first year McDermott led the Bills to the playoffs. Period.  That was unthinkable a few years ago, and breaking that streak was huge for both Coach and this franchise.  

Second are the Pegulas.  The love Coach and treat him like family.  They gave him a lot of power and authority and he delivered. 

The third is continuity.  The Pegulas are conscious of their reputation of getting rid of coaches.  They also know the history of the Bills.  Terry is rumored to have consultants to discuss business with and they will preach continuity as well.  

The last is that McDermott and Beane were probably very clear in the time their “process” would take.  I have no doubt that Terry gave Coach his word that he was committed to five years and would give him some time.

Either way, I’d put the odds if Coach McDermottt getting fired at 5%.  Jerry White said he feels McDermott is one of the safest coaches in the NFL.  I would agree.  What say you?

If you can get 1-5 on your money I'd go for it. Vegas has Koetter +250, Jackson +350, Joseph +650, Gase +750, and Lewis +1600 as the favorites (as of last week, lines may have moved since). Regardless, that's a pretty safe bet.