How Safe Are Coach McDermott and GM Beane?

BuffaloRush

8 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Which guys should we have kept?

Take your pick. How many high draft picks from the Whaley era are still on this team. You can’t have a team full of mid to low rounders and hope to be good. Yes, they acquired picks but they had other avenues available to move up. The strategy is questionable, coupled with an apparent inability to evaluate talent as well. Their draft picks aren’t looking too hot, except maybe Tre White. They spent a lot of picks on not many players. We will see if they turn out to be all-pros. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The owners have to be asking real questions now and it’s only going to intensify as the media sharks circle and the team loses more games.  Multiple players quitting on the field (Davis, Benjamin), QB benchings, coaches’ responsibilities being shifted, millions in cap dollars pissed away and it’s only week 2...

Could've saved yourself the carpal tunnel and just typed .....the sky is falling.

6 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Which guys should we have kept?

I’m not an NFL scout or GM, but let’s start with Goodwin and/or Watkins, Dareus, AJ McCarron,  possibly Darby. The real problem, though, is the guys they’ve brought on board: the awful free agents they signed this year, Tolbert, giving up a third round pick for Benjamin, failing to fortify the o-line in the draft....

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Take your pick. How many high draft picks from the Whaley era are still on this team. You can’t have a team full of mid to low rounders and hope to be good. Yes, they acquired picks but they had other avenues available to move up. The strategy is questionable, coupled with an apparent inability to evaluate talent as well. Their draft picks aren’t looking too hot, except maybe Tre White. They spent a lot of picks on not many players. We will see if they turn out to be all-pros. 

So you think Preston and Cyrus and Reggie would have this team turned around? Or do you think we should have spent all our offseason money on Sammy?

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m not an NFL scout or GM, but let’s start with Goodwin and/or Watkins, Dareus, AJ McCarron,  possibly Darby. The real problem, though, is the guys they’ve brought on board: the awful free agents they signed this year, Tolbert, giving up a third round pick for Benjamin, failing to fortify the o-line in the draft....

So fix the roster in one offseason without cutting cap. How would that have been possible?

The discouraging thing is that we still have one of the oldest rosters and not much young talent.  Of course the development of Allen and Edmunds will be key, but other than White and Dawkins, who else do we have to watch develop this season?  Seems to be a pipe dream to expect this team to suddenly improve, even next season, without a significant number of up and coming young players, which I don't think we have and another draft will not be enough to solve.

Beane has his hands full, and his free agent acquisitions this offseason are not giving me much confidence in his abilities to assemble a quality roster of talented players.

50 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

If this season doesn’t turn around in a big way, their continuing employment will be seriously re-evaluated after year 3. 

doubt it, they know they are in for losing this year. Pegula restructured the Bills and Sabres around McDermott 's philosophy , it would take a lot for them to go.

I think it is unlikely that they are let go after this year.  As I have said, it is completely unfair to fire a coach after just two years . . . and it is certainly completely unfair to fire a coach in less than two years . . . .

Having said that, things might change if we have many more historic and embarrassing losses and attendance is really bad later in the season.

33 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

doubt it, they know they are in for losing this year. Pegula restructured the Bills and Sabres around McDermott 's philosophy , it would take a lot for them to go.

I don’t disagree, but no coach or GM should be kept around once it becomes clear that they don’t know what they’re doing. “Continuity” is important, but once a coach has lost the team, or the GM has exposed himself as a fool, there’s little sense keeping them around for the sake of continuity.   We’re not there yet, but it’s not inconceivable that we could get there sooner than some think.

I disagree with people saying no chance that McDermott gets fired.... This is pro sports and you just never know really. 

If this team goes 2-14 or 3-13 I would say there's at least a 50% chance that McBeane gets fired.

Edited by Klaista2k

On 9/16/2018 at 7:55 PM, Boatdrinks said:

You have to keep some quality pieces , even if you feel they are underperforming. Coach them up and get more out of them. If you tear things down to expansion team level, you’ve dug too deep a hole to get out of in a reasonable time. 

Boatdrinks gets it.  You reset the roster maybe by getting rid of one overpaid underperforming guy.  You don’t scrape the talent plate bare, including of guys on their rookie deals.

No one hits in the draft 100%, especially in the later rounds.  No one.  

Everyone overpays for talent in FA.  Everyone.  And by the time you’ve overpaid, you don’t have money to keep the homegrown talent you hit on 3-4 years back

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is nuts! McDermott is not going to get fired!

I doubt that as well.  It would be unfair to fire a guy in less than two years or only after two years.  Lack of continuity already has hurt this team.

The only way I could see the Pegulas firing McCoach is if we continue to have historic embarrassing losses (or something like that).

Barring something like that, I just don't see it.  We already have a bit of a reputation for firing coaches quickly (e.g., Rex, Bylsma).

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This is nuts! McDermott is not going to get fired!

Where there is smoke there is fire. The wheels are minus the lug nuts and the car is picking up speed, can't tell me the Pegulas are ok with all that has happened. I would not be surprised if the Pegulas have talked with current and former players who have been shipped out by McBean as to what is going on. 

Seems nuts, although we know many sportswriters chose the Bills as most likely to regress. But the team has done more than regress; they’ve gone from playoff team to tire fire. This is a new era of the NFL, with billionaire owners that want fast results. They don’t care about eating hefty coaches contracts. I know it goes against what T- Pegs has stated in recent times, but this has gotten embarrassing. If the Bills don’t show marked improvement by years end, nothing is off the table. 

Edited by Boatdrinks