How Safe Are Coach McDermott and GM Beane?

BuffaloRush

The only way is if the pegulas decide that they don’t have the right people and want to bring in someone else.  #obviois

Next year is the year we have been waiting for.  #1 q.b.  Still have shady.   Lots of cap room.  The opportunity really starts next year.  We all knew that.  Or at least we should have known that.  

We were supposed to be bad last year.  It was a fluke we made the playoffs. 

He gets at least one more year (probably 2).  Again, unless there is total buyers remorse on the pegulas  side and he wants to clear the deck for some other talent evaluators and coaches to come in.  But then it seems like a waste to draft Allen. 

I think they have this year as the scrap down and do the best you can year.

2019 - get a talent influx through the draft and FA. Keep in mind a lot of top tier FAs may not want to come here. There are quite a few teams with a lot of cap room, some like the jets seem to be improving but couldn't get FAs to sign with them. Improve the record

2020 - better be competitive with more FAs and draft picks. 2020 is the year McBeane have till IMO, and it is the right thing to do.

This year will be rough. I'm not a huge fan of the method, but a complete tear down was long past due, and we are reaching the bottom. No where to go but up!

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Not a chance either get fired this year no matter how the season goes.

0%

None

Nada

Zilch

This.  McDermott and Beane have made some bold moves with this team and I am pretty sure they expected to suck this season.  They probably expected to suck last season too.  I don't care they talked about remaining competitive yadda yadda.  That's coach/gm speak.  They aren't dumb and they no they have no damn talent on the team good enough to compete.  If they were bold enough to do this stuff, then the Pegula's knew from the beginning what the plan was.  These guys both have time to build this team.

5 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

We need to remember that if/when there is a HC/GM opening, Buffalo is always a very hard sell.  There's a very short line of people waiting to come to Buffalo as either HC or GM.  That's how/why we have had such a string of losers along the way.

Having said that, I hope they are both wildly successful!

This was true about 10 years when Ralph Wilson was running the team and there was a threat of relocation.  Bottom line, there are 32 HC jobs in the NFL.  As long as you can pay...they will come.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would say it depends a lot on HOW the Bills lose however many games they lose. 

There could be a tight, disciplined team that generally plays hard for 45 minutes, but got into a hole early and couldn't dig themselves out - or generally played well but threw a couple inopportune picks.  I think the Bills could go 0 -16 if they're playing like that, and McDermott and Beane are safe.

Or there can be what we saw last Sunday - a total meltdown in all 3 phases of the game, where (despite McDermott's public line) the team looked under-prepared, some players appeared to be mailing it in, and there are indicators that the coaches' schemes and gameplans were exploited.  Someone (Badol, I think) pointed out that the Pegulas do seem to mind negative media, so if the Bills go 4 - 16 but are regularly embarrassed or blown out, I don't think McDermott and Beane should feel too secure.

I disagree with you 100% and will put money down.  Listen to the press conferences where McDermott and Beane both stress that the roster “isn’t where they want it yet” and now the team is going to be a work in progress.  This is what they’ve said publicly....who know what is said behind closed doors.  I feel

that McDermott has prepped PSE that this season was going to be bad one, but that it was part of the “process” and that they have a plan.  

I’ll place $100 in an escrow PayPal Account that he stays this season.  You in!’????

Too safe. McDermott doesn't want to Beane to wreck his career. He's a good coach! Probably not a process guy cause he doesn't want to tank and knows he can get a good team motivated.

But how what motivation can you provide when you tell the defense with a straight face that you're going with Peterman. And Vontae isn't playing. Poor soul. Tre White has PTSD from the Peterman experience, he can't be fired up for the game for any longer than the first couple of offensive possessions

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I disagree with you 100% and will put money down.  Listen to the press conferences where McDermott and Beane both stress that the roster “isn’t where they want it yet” and now the team is going to be a work in progress.  This is what they’ve said publicly....who know what is said behind closed doors.  I feel

that McDermott has prepped PSE that this season was going to be bad one, but that it was part of the “process” and that they have a plan.  

I’ll place $100 in an escrow PayPal Account that he stays this season.  You in!’????

Absolutely no interest whatsoever in your “bet”.  First and foremost, I am a Bills Fan and have no interest in betting against the team’s success, which rides on McDermott’s abilities to drive it right now.

Second, from the terms of it, I don’t think you bothered to read what I wrote, or at least not very carefully.   McDermott and Beane can have “prepped” the Pegulas that they expect this season to be a struggle and a bad one, but there’s a distinction between bad and humiliating/embarrassing.

Right now, the Bills are a national laughingstock in the media with Cowherd etc taking shots at the Nate Peterman era.  It’s mockery that frankly, we earned.  We have Ravens talking about how they systematically took advantage of our defensive scheme.  We had mistakes on special teams.  We had tons of penalties.  These aren’t factors that reflect a “roster that isn’t where we want it yet”.  It could be a one game gaffe at this point - or it could reflect systematic problems in the team’s scheme, game plan, preparation, and coaching.

Any “prep” of the Pegulas is likely to have been based on the premise that the team would have well-designed game plans, sound preparation, good coaching, and disciplined play, just maybe lack the talent to execute and beat other teams.  Fulfill that premise, and sure, the record may be 0-16 and McBeane may stay.

Fail to fulfill that premise, and it seems to me that the Pegulas have previously shown no problem whatsoever changing their minds and moving on from coaches and GMs who don’t meet their expectations.

You can disagree 100% all you like, but your disagreement doesn’t seem to match the Pegulas actual track record with their teams.

• Like (+1) 2

They are both safe this year, but if the Bills are well below .500 this year, their trades and free agents signings will be closely scrutinized.  The keys will be whether Allen and Edmunds show progress during the season and whether the free agent additions, particularly Star, Davis and Trent Murphy, play to the level of their contracts.  Ultimately, it is about the talent, and I think Beane will get more scrutiny than McD.  If our free agent additions from this past offseason look as poor as a group as they do after the first game, I think questions about Beane's ability to evaluate and identify talent will be well deserved.

4 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

They are both safe this year, but if the Bills are well below .500 this year, their trades and free agents signings will be closely scrutinized.  The keys will be whether Allen and Edmunds show progress during the season and whether the free agent additions, particularly Star, Davis and Trent Murphy, play to the level of their contracts.  Ultimately, it is about the talent, and I think Beane will get more scrutiny than McD.  If our free agent additions from this past offseason look as poor as a group as they do after the first game, I think questions about Beane's ability to evaluate and identify talent will be well deserved.

Just remember, Beane is here b/c McDermott wanted him here and thought he would work well with him without any friction.

I can see a scenario where Beane goes but McDermott does not, but not the other way around.

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Then after watching a rookie and an almost rookie QB behind one of the worst lines in the league.

Awesome post...a point with regards to the oline and the amount of blame to give to Beane...important to keep in mind that there were two sudden retirements this off-season. Obviously, totally different sport and situation, but the sudden loss of Jose Fernandez from the Marlins rotation could not be planned for, and set the team back years. Football is different because of the salary cap, and a much more open free agency system, but hopefully you get the point I am trying to make (it's late).

Second, I think we're in trouble with this line big time, but it's one game (and the first game of the season), and it is important to note that week 1 is notoriously misleading, even when it so strongly validates our deepest beliefs. With the cap space, and available players, was the risk of the unknown worth trying to upgrade your hopefully close to replacement level players that buy into your process with what at best would be replacement level players?

I don't know, but they know better, and I really am hoping that they got out schemed and out coached, because that's a lot easier to fix in season, necause they're not worthless coaches, not by a long shot, and everyone gets beat. The beauty of hiring people with a growth mindset (that is how I define this staff in two words, growth mindset) is failure is seen as an opportunity to get better. It's a process, trust it, chase that failure, because there is glory behind it.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HardyBoy said:

Awesome post...a point with regards to the oline and the amount of blame to give to Beane...important to keep in mind that there were two sudden retirements this off-season. Obvs, totally different sport and situation, but the sudden loss of Jose Fernandez from the Marlins rotation could not be planned for, and set the team back years. Football is different because of the salary cap, and a much more open free agency, but hopefully you get the point I am trying to make (it's late).

Second, I think we're in trouble with this line big time, but it's one game (and the first game of the season), and it is important to note that week 1 is notoriously misleading, even when it so strongly validated our deepest beliefs. With the cap space, and available players, was the risk of the unknown worth trying to upgrade your hopefully close to replacement level players that buy imto your process with what at best would be replacement level players.

I don't know, but they know better, and I really am hoping that they got out schemed and out coached, because that's a lot easier to fix in season (they're not worthless coaches by a long shot, and everyone gets beat, and the beauty of hiring people with a growth mindset is failure is seen as an opportunity to get better. It's a process, trust it, chase that failure, because there is glory behind it.

Beane had time to address the O line and he gambled that he could fake it with what was already inside the organization.

That was a mistake.

Suggesting he was caught by surprise or did not have ample opportunity to address the situation is simply wrong.

As far with bringing in former panthers, I’d say they are 0 for 4 (Star and Kelvin don’t want to be here and don’t produce. Bowling ball (Tolbert) and Philly Brown had failure to launch).

Basically we are getting rid of some talented players and getting junk back plus more former panthers. I thought Rex was bad...sheesh.

Just Incase anyone in the building reads this we need:

- 2 guards

- 1 center

- 2 or 3 WR’s who are fast and fight to get open

- anyone who can rush the passer

- a starting cornerback who is faster and younger than Davis.

McBean is probably safe but that does not mean that some of these deals (Stars Contract is terrible). He’s about one more former Panther away from hot seat