How Safe Are Coach McDermott and GM Beane?

BuffaloRush

Beane saved Peguala money and drafted what looks like a stud Mike and possible franchise Qb.  The handling of Allen and the overall Qb position on a hole could leave McDermott vulnerable if the offense doesnt improve and lacks creativity.  See Jon Fox, Lovie Smith, Jeff Fisher.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Im sorry im having a hard time understanding whether you're agreeing with me or not, ee cummings.

....my apology....I'm just finishing up "See Spot Run" and then move onto my writing skills......in the interim, the Cliff Notes version is "fire everybody now"........it will work wonders.....think about it....the line of new brass candidates will be miles long.....give 'em their door nameplate with velcro and assign them spots in the employee lot with signs that say "15 MINUTE PARKING".......NIGHTLY (weekly or monthly, seriously??) lodging at Motel 6 because as Glanville said, "Not For Long" as far as tenure at OBD according to the TBD famed "One And Done Gang"....are we clear?....

Perfect example of the house always winning.. From an outside perspective casual fans  might think they can be in trouble but anyone with a n ounce of football I q and knows anything about Buf , knows there is 0% chance of this happening. 

Jesus the overreacting and hot takes have reached a new level this year..

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Im sorry im having a hard time understanding whether you're agreeing with me or not, ee cummings.

If you have to ask, you don't get it!

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Perfect example of the house always winning.. From an outside perspective casual fans  might think they can be in trouble but anyone with a n ounce of football I q and knows anything about Buf , knows there is 0% chance of this happening. 

Jesus the overreacting and hot takes have reached a new level this year..

Knew it was coming; temper tantrums - I wanna SB and I want it now!

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

We need to remember that if/when there is a HC/GM opening, Buffalo is always a very hard sell.  There's a very short line of people waiting to come to Buffalo as either HC or GM.  That's how/why we have had such a string of losers along the way.

Having said that, I hope they are both wildly successful!

We have few quality GMs because Ralph never looked farther than down the hall or past people he knew personally. 

Polian, Butler, Donahoe - the one outside hire he made, Marv, Levy, Russ Brandon, Buddy Nix (after scanning a list of names and only interviewing against John Guy), Doug Whaley (who was brought in by Nix), Brandon Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

McD is too safe. Needs to take some gambles like starting his top 10 pick rookie QB over a guy who shouldn't be on a roster. Beane isn't safe at all though. Major trade ups on 2 guys that are high development, high ceiling players. That guy's swinging for the fences. Add in FAs coming off injury and trading for a WR with attitude issues, Beane is a risk-taker. Anything but safe.

I’ve had about all I can stomach of safe.  

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

Next year starts the evaluation clock on the McBeane era.  They will get two years (2019 and 2020) to show substantial progress.  The bar will be pretty high -- like double digit wins by 2020. Considering that hasn't been accomplished yet this century--that's a fair standard.

Coulnt agree more. Next season they will use the dead cap space to improve the roster, but they will have a bunch of rookies and FAs on the squad - they’ll need at least a year to develop.  The following season, 2020, will be either the “money year “, or the year McBeane lose their jobs. Then it will be time to bring in...,

Mike Leach

Edited by The Senator
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Not a chance either get fired this year no matter how the season goes.

0%

None

Nada

Zilch

I think I 99% agree. If every game looks like last Sunday (it won't) then sixteen 40 point losses might change it. But fundamentally they are both safe and should be. 

I also think if either of them start '19 on the hotseat it is Beane more than McDermott. 

11 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Coulnt agree more. Next season they will use the dead cap space to improve the roster, but they will have a bunch of rookies and FAs on the squad - they’ll need at least a year to develop.  The following season, 2020, will be either the “money year “, or the year McBeane lose their jobs. Then it will be time to bring in...,

Mike Leach

I love that you never waiver Senator...

Beane and McD should be safe for a couple more years.  But they might want to revisit some position coaches (WR and OL) as well as maybe light a fire under Leslie Frazier.  No way the defense should have been that bad; it was supposed to be the strength of the team to keep the Bills in the game.

18 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Mike Leach

Or Chris Petersen :)

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

We need to remember that if/when there is a HC/GM opening, Buffalo is always a very hard sell.  There's a very short line of people waiting to come to Buffalo as either HC or GM.  That's how/why we have had such a string of losers along the way.

Having said that, I hope they are both wildly successful!

That stuff went away with the old owner who was very hands-on and what I mean by hands-on is that he would be on the phone to the HC every day from Detroit. Anybody that was any good in the NFL wanted to work with him as his rep preceded him. Then there was his frugality as he didn't want to pay what people were worth, players, coaches, GMs, execs. He had a long history of that stuff.

The new owners are billionaires and money is not an issue anymore. 

Anyway, these new owners want a winner in Buffalo! I gotta say if we see more of those almost 50 to 3 games. With the players, coaches looking undisciplined and unprepared their days are numbered! Then I'd say If I'm Terry P I'd be very pissed to see that #7 overall pick at QB ruined behind a bad line with bad play calling and no receivers getting open. I mean does this new FO plan on drafting a rookie QB in the first round again next year and then keep ruining them by not building a proper supporting cast. 

I used to be behind McD and Beane up until this preseason/season. Then after watching a rookie and an almost rookie QB behind one of the worst lines in the league. Crappy receiving corps and the playcalling/game plan was very suspect in that first game. These men had an entire offseason to build a proper offense and they pulled a Whaley by putting these young QBs with no veteran QB on the roster. 

This league is what have you done for me lately. If the Bills finish this season like they started it I can see this FO/regime getting fired at the end of this season. A lot of NFL teams are opting for the bright young offensive minds and that is the current trend. JMHO

• Like (+1) 1