How Safe Are Coach McDermott and GM Beane?

BuffaloRush

Mike Schopp just referenced this a little while ago.

McDermott has the 3rd best odds to get fired of any coach in the league.  I.E., he's one of the most likely coaches to get fired.

Pegula has shown you how he operates, if you are paying attention.

It always looks good and like he supports his hires, right up to the moment when he fires them with lots of time left on their Ks.

Regardless, I think McDermott gets this season guaranteed, and probably all of next as well.

His fate rests in the hands of Josh Allen.  If Allen busts, and we have a horrible record this year and next, he'll be gone.

When he goes, Beane will go with him.  They are tied at the hip and McDermott is the principal in that relationship; he tells Beane what to do, not the other way around.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting tidbit from WGR...according to Jerry White there is a prop bet that places Coach McDermott as one of the 5 coaches most likely to get fired.  They gave him 1-5 odds of getting fired.  I know little about better but I am considering betting my life savings against it.

IMO, the Bills can go 0-16 and there’s no way Coach is getting axed.  There are a plethora of reasons.  The first is practicality.  In his first year McDermott led the Bills to the playoffs. Period.  That was unthinkable a few years ago, and breaking that streak was huge for both Coach and this franchise.  

Second are the Pegulas.  The love Coach and treat him like family.  They gave him a lot of power and authority and he delivered. 

The third is continuity.  The Pegulas are conscious of their reputation of getting rid of coaches.  They also know the history of the Bills.  Terry is rumored to have consultants to discuss business with and they will preach continuity as well.  

The last is that McDermott and Beane were probably very clear in the time their “process” would take.  I have no doubt that Terry gave Coach his word that he was committed to five years and would give him some time.

Either way, I’d put the odds if Coach McDermottt getting fired at 5%.  Jerry White said he feels McDermott is one of the safest coaches in the NFL.  I would agree.  What say you?

Listening to WGR this morning and they said McDermott was least likely to get fired he is nowhere near the hot seat....

You fire McDermott you might as well move the team to London. This team needs years to become good and firing a coach every 2 will never make them good.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

Listening to WGR this morning and they said McDermott was least likely to get fired he is nowhere near the hot seat....

I think you're coming at it from a practical standpoint.  There is a gambling line on this in Vegas, where McDermott has the 3rd best odds in the league to be fired.

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree,  this is a 4 year process and we're just starting yr 2.

As I just wrote above, if we finish this year with a horrible record, and have another similarly bad record next year, all while Josh Allen flounders, they'll be gone end of next year IMO.

Not 4 years guaranteed at all.

Edited by Fadingpain

McD is too safe. Needs to take some gambles like starting his top 10 pick rookie QB over a guy who shouldn't be on a roster. Beane isn't safe at all though. Major trade ups on 2 guys that are high development, high ceiling players. That guy's swinging for the fences. Add in FAs coming off injury and trading for a WR with attitude issues, Beane is a risk-taker. Anything but safe.

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Interesting tidbit from WGR...according to Jerry White there is a prop bet that places Coach McDermott as one of the 5 coaches most likely to get fired.  They gave him 1-5 odds of getting fired.  I know little about better but I am considering betting my life savings against it.

IMO, the Bills can go 0-16 and there’s no way Coach is getting axed.  There are a plethora of reasons.  The first is practicality.  In his first year McDermott led the Bills to the playoffs. Period.  That was unthinkable a few years ago, and breaking that streak was huge for both Coach and this franchise.  

Second are the Pegulas.  The love Coach and treat him like family.  They gave him a lot of power and authority and he delivered. 

The third is continuity.  The Pegulas are conscious of their reputation of getting rid of coaches.  They also know the history of the Bills.  Terry is rumored to have consultants to discuss business with and they will preach continuity as well.  

The last is that McDermott and Beane were probably very clear in the time their “process” would take.  I have no doubt that Terry gave Coach his word that he was committed to five years and would give him some time.

Either way, I’d put the odds if Coach McDermottt getting fired at 5%.  Jerry White said he feels McDermott is one of the safest coaches in the NFL.  I would agree.  What say you?

I agree with you.  This organization needs to stop giving head coaches two or three years and then move on to the next one.  McDermott and Beane should both be given 5 years for sure.  Let's let them work their process and see what they can do.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

IMO, the Bills can go 0-16 and there’s no way Coach is getting axed.  ...)

I would say it depends a lot on HOW the Bills lose however many games they lose. 

There could be a tight, disciplined team that generally plays hard for 45 minutes, but got into a hole early and couldn't dig themselves out - or generally played well but threw a couple inopportune picks.  I think the Bills could go 0 -16 if they're playing like that, and McDermott and Beane are safe.

Or there can be what we saw last Sunday - a total meltdown in all 3 phases of the game, where (despite McDermott's public line) the team looked under-prepared, some players appeared to be mailing it in, and there are indicators that the coaches' schemes and gameplans were exploited.  Someone (Badol, I think) pointed out that the Pegulas do seem to mind negative media, so if the Bills go 4 - 16 but are regularly embarrassed or blown out, I don't think McDermott and Beane should feel too secure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Wrong again :lol:

These guys get a minimum of four years. Probably 5.

...why?......the 17 year turnstile of misfits masquerading as real deal football people, unqualifieds, "over the hill" crustaceans whose being "re-tired" was to make a huge difference, recycled coaches, etc didn't work wonders?.....I myself prefer the "Steeler Turnstile".......three HC's in 48 years....Colbert GM since 2000 and SIX Lombardis on the shelf....now who the hell would want that?......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Right now, this looks like one of the most poorly managed teams in the NFL, both in terms of identifying and retaining talent and managing the salary cap. I guess you have to put that on the GM more than the coach, but the talent part is pretty egregious on both sides. 

Blah, blah, blah from either a new or part time fan; try to learn the game before you spew hot air! Do you not understand they inherited a 16 year failure so now you throw a temper tantrum because you want a SB! Try soccer!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do you really feel that was true in 2015?  Our D the previous year was #4 in the NFL, and there was some talent on the team.  I remember there being a fair bit of interest.

Likewise 2017, still good bit of talent on the roster, seemed to be a good bit of interest.

I think the interest goes with the talent on the team.  If Allen and Edmunds look promising, there would be interest.  Otherwise, McBeane have scraped the talent cupboard pretty bare, so not.

There are only 32 of these jobs in the world, so it's not as though coaches can afford to be so picky about what city they're in.  They have to be realistic about their chances for success, though (see above)

If this is the case we wouldn't be looking for a new HC after next season though, just sayin'.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...why?......the 17 year turnstile of misfits masquerading as real deal football people, unqualifieds, "over the hill" crustaceans whose being "re-tired" was to make a huge difference, recycled coaches, etc didn't work wonders?.....I myself prefer the "Steeler Turnstile".......three HC's in 48 years....Colbert GM since 2000 and SIX Lombardis on the shelf......

As usual great post from a true football fan! OldTimeAFLGuy rocks!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...why?......the 17 year turnstile of misfits masquerading as real deal football people, unqualifieds, "over the hill" crustaceans whose being "re-tired" was to make a huge difference, recycled coaches, etc didn't work wonders?.....I myself prefer the "Steeler Turnstile".......three HC's in 48 years....Colbert GM since 2000 and SIX Lombardis on the shelf....now who the hell would want that?......

Im sorry im having a hard time understanding whether you're agreeing with me or not, ee cummings.

• Haha (+1) 1

obviously my post was in sarcasm and the OP wasn't calling for his head and did disagree with the idiot writer on him getting the ax, as do I.

I know some feel they have a pretty long leash but at the end of the day it's about winning and at this point they haven't the roster to win many. with that said, they likely get 3 years of fail or as many as 5 or more if they can get this ship to sail?

They get this year and next for sure, then you have to take a look at our direction. If everything but Allen is working out, I’d give them another shot at The QB if it looks necessary, . That’s just always a crap shoot for everyone. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They created the high dead cap intentionally as part of the overall plan moving forward with 2019 as the year they spend to acquire better talent via UFA and the draft.

beane better hit  big or else

I don't see much chance he gets axed this year.  However, say we go 3-13 and the we start 2-10 next year, seats get really hot and he may not survive the season.