How Safe Are Coach McDermott and GM Beane?

BuffaloRush

Interesting tidbit from WGR...according to Jerry White there is a prop bet that places Coach McDermott as one of the 5 coaches most likely to get fired.  They gave him 1-5 odds of getting fired.  I know little about better but I am considering betting my life savings against it.

IMO, the Bills can go 0-16 and there’s no way Coach is getting axed.  There are a plethora of reasons.  The first is practicality.  In his first year McDermott led the Bills to the playoffs. Period.  That was unthinkable a few years ago, and breaking that streak was huge for both Coach and this franchise.  

Second are the Pegulas.  The love Coach and treat him like family.  They gave him a lot of power and authority and he delivered. 

The third is continuity.  The Pegulas are conscious of their reputation of getting rid of coaches.  They also know the history of the Bills.  Terry is rumored to have consultants to discuss business with and they will preach continuity as well.  

The last is that McDermott and Beane were probably very clear in the time their “process” would take.  I have no doubt that Terry gave Coach his word that he was committed to five years and would give him some time.

Either way, I’d put the odds if Coach McDermottt getting fired at 5%.  Jerry White said he feels McDermott is one of the safest coaches in the NFL.  I would agree.  What say you?

• Like (+1) 2

Right now, this looks like one of the most poorly managed teams in the NFL, both in terms of identifying and retaining talent and managing the salary cap. I guess you have to put that on the GM more than the coach, but the talent part is pretty egregious on both sides. 

• Like (+1) 1

We need to remember that if/when there is a HC/GM opening, Buffalo is always a very hard sell.  There's a very short line of people waiting to come to Buffalo as either HC or GM.  That's how/why we have had such a string of losers along the way.

Having said that, I hope they are both wildly successful!

Just now, skibum said:

Right now, this looks like one of the most poorly managed teams in the NFL, both in terms of identifying and retaining talent and managing the salary cap. I guess you have to put that on the GM more than the coach, but the talent part is pretty egregious on both sides. 

They created the high dead cap intentionally as part of the overall plan moving forward with 2019 as the year they spend to acquire better talent via UFA and the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

Earliest he'd get fired is near the end of next season. Pegulas will have signed off on this rebuild so they knew there was a good chance this was going to be a down year. Next year will be the money year. If McBeane can't improve the roster and they wind up whiffing on Allen, there could be some fire the coach buzz going into the final few games. I still doubt they'd do it, but you never know what gets said or how things play out behind the scenes. Three years is enough time to determine whether your new coach/GM have the goods IMO.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 2

Next year starts the evaluation clock on the McBeane era.  They will get two years (2019 and 2020) to show substantial progress.  The bar will be pretty high -- like double digit wins by 2020. Considering that hasn't been accomplished yet this century--that's a fair standard.