2018 Bills free agents not good

On 9/14/2018 at 3:05 PM, remembersthegoodtime said:

2018 free agent class is  absolutely horrible.

Star- played on skates Sunday.

Gaines- worse defensive player on field ( other than star)

Murphy- few snaps

McCarron- on other team

Davis- inactive

Bodine-back up

Newhouse- backup

Ivory- overpaid backup

No faith in us having 80 million in cap space, just more ways to screw it up.

Star is doing what he was brought in to do.  Gaines is doing well playing nickel which he was actually brought in for.  Ivory isn't a backup he's a complimentary back and looked really good today.  Davis was a roll of the dice not high priced.  The others were given modest contracts to compete.

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You know this because the Bills FO called him. Ooo wait no they didnt. 

Pouncey stated he wanted to play with a "Hall of Fame caliber QB".  Again, you can dream but you have to be realistic about our position when it comes to free agency.  We are clearly in a full rebuild.  7 year veteran and 28 year old Mike Pouncey surely didn't want to join a full rebuild.  He had interest from 6 teams.  We would have had to grossly overpay just for him to look our way.

Edited by Buffalo30

Just now, Buffalo30 said:

Pouncey stated he wanted to play with a "Hall of Fame caliber QB".  Again, you can dream but you have to be realistic about our position when it comes to free agency.  We are clearly in a full rebuild.  7 year veteran and 28 year old Mike Pouncey surely didn't want to join a full rebuild.  

Money talks. That is the reality. Would Pouncy signed here for Star money??  Just a question. 

3 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Darius Cost 47 mill over 19,20 and 21. 

You're missing my point,    If we have 13 million in dead Marcel money,  plus if we take Star on  just a 3 year deal, the 6 this year, 11 next year, 10 the year after that and 5 million in dead money in 21 and add that up.   its 45 million.     No real savings and I would rather have Dareus.
S

On 9/15/2018 at 1:37 PM, RochesterRob said:

To be fair we had a lot of holes and not a lot of cap room to plug them with any degree of quality.  The end of 2019 will give us a much better idea of how good current management is.  Hopefully, a lot of this draft class will stick and they can take the next step with the 2019 draft class allowing us to use our FA dollars on fewer but higher quality FA's.

A lot of these new posters are clueless to the reality of the NFL.  There are knowledgeable diehard fans on here and ingnorant diehard fans as well as people who think they know about football just because they LoL.

More and more I find myself just shaking my head and reading the next post.  What you are saying is going to fall on deaf ears.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:14 PM, Juice_32 said:

Star played very well on Sunday. I do not understand the narrative on him. He was constantly doubled and still got a great push. Did you watch him every play? I went back and did and you are incorrect.

I paid special attention to him and you are absolutely correct. He did exactly what he was supposed to do

20 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Who said Pouncey wanted to sign with us?  A team that lost 3 veteran offensive lineman this offseason and he would be protecting a rookie QB.  This isn't madden.  The player has to want to come here.  If I were him, I'd have chosen the Chargers if Buffalo and the Chargers offered a contract.  LA vs. Buffalo... A team looking to go to the playoffs versus a team clearly in rebuilding mode. I don't think we would have ever been an option.

Well, by the time Mike Pouncey signed we had already used the dollars for both Trent and for Star. I believe we also had already signed Bodine. So ... yeah. I'm thinking that there would have been no reason for Pouncey to have wanted to sign with us because at that point we didn't have the capital to do it.

My read on the NFL is that players generally go where the money is, especially players signing contracts in the $7.5MM per year area. They sign where there is expressed interest and interest is expressed in dollars. Seems pretty clear to me that the Bills made absolutely no effort to get anything but crap to build up the offensive line.

You can have a different opinion. But the dollars were spent early and hard on Dline (March 15th) and that was after they had traded away their top offensive lineman (March 12). 

We made ourselves NOT be an option.

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Money talks. That is the reality. Would Pouncy signed here for Star money??  Just a question. 

This is rhetorical, yes? 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Pouncey stated he wanted to play with a "Hall of Fame caliber QB". 

Yes, shortly after he signed the contract.

Not that those two things are related.

21 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

You're missing my point,    If we have 13 million in dead Marcel money,  plus if we take Star on  just a 3 year deal, the 6 this year, 11 next year, 10 the year after that and 5 million in dead money in 21 and add that up.   its 45 million.     No real savings and I would rather have Dareus.
S

We saved 54 million total when we traded Darius. Cutting Star after 3 costs 32 million according to your numbers.

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Not that cut and dry.  An NFL career is short.  He is 28 and wanted to play for a contender, I don't blame him.  He is still making a solid chunk of change, so why shouldn't he choose a contender for a little less cash.  Plus, being in LA in his twenties over being in Buffalo...there's a bunch of factors.  Some players aren't all about the money. 

18 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Well, by the time Mike Pouncey signed we had already used the dollars for both Trent and for Star. I believe we also had already signed Bodine. So ... yeah. I'm thinking that there would have been no reason for Pouncey to have wanted to sign with us because at that point we didn't have the capital to do it.

My read on the NFL is that players generally go where the money is, especially players signing contracts in the $7.5MM per year area. They sign where there is expressed interest and interest is expressed in dollars. Seems pretty clear to me that the Bills made absolutely no effort to get anything but crap to build up the offensive line.

You can have a different opinion. But the dollars were spent early and hard on Dline (March 15th) and that was after they had traded away their top offensive lineman (March 12). 

As if the defensive line wasn't a big need?  Can't fill all the holes in one offseason.  Teams find placeholders at a lower price until they find the right player for their scheme and team.  Were we supposed to hold off while players got signed to see if he got released?  I can't imagine what this board would have done if we had waited for him and he signed somewhere else and we ended up with nobody.